Complaint Review: The Home Depot

• Updated: Sat, January 21, 2012

• Reported By: David — Lwcanto Florida United States of America
The Home Depot
www.HomeDepot.com Crystal River, Florida United States of America

The Home Depot, Home Depot NOT honoring Lifetime Warrantee Crystal River, Florida

*Consumer Comment: thus written supercedes verbal talk

I was given one of the combo tool packages from my wife for Christmas 2003. It included drill, circular saw, and flash light, along with three batteries and charger. At the time of purchase my wife was told to just bring back the batteries and they would give her new ones, when needed. The sales clerk also told her if the tool gave her any trouble they would replce the tool "no questions asked."

I attempted to return the batteries in 2009 and was told that I had to register them. I had not bothered to register them since you were only required to return them to the store for new ones. At that time I was also told that I would need the original sales reeipt. Oh, yeah right, I keep all my sales receipts for my purchases for 6 years, not a chance. So no batteries. I was also informed at this time that Home Depot had changed their replacement policy due to "the collapse of the housing industry. Everyone dumped their tools in the pawn shops and Home Depot could not verify who the original owners were."

I realize what happemed with the economy might have hurt Home Depot, but need to own up to their original agreement. My wifes sole reason for purchasing this combo back was the Warrantee. I could have purchased a much cheaper combo package from (((competitor's name redacted))). I have many hand tools, I like cars and carpentry. If I return a craftsman tool to (((competitor's name redacted))), today, they replace it, no questions asked. Now that is a real Lifetime Warrantee. (((redacted))) will receive all my business from now. As a side note, I went to Home Depot to buy a Nicad Battery, like the ones that came with the combo pack. This way I could atleast use my tools. Too my surprise, they no longer carry Nicad batteries, only Lithium at nearly $100 each.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/21/2012 06:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Home-Depot/Crystal-River-Florida-34428/The-Home-Depot-Home-Depot-NOT-honoring-Lifetime-Warrantee-Crystal-River-Florida-826192. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Home Depot

thus written supercedes verbal talk

AUTHOR: Righteous1 - (United States of America)

gotta love folks that think simply because an employee says something pertaining to a warranty then by golly it must be true! Its NOT. Warranties are written for a reason.
Oddly it would take two lawyers and a bottle of whiskey to decipher the way some warranties are written. I sat one day and actually laughed myself silly reading a High End Washer Manufacturers warranty. Its filled with so many "buts" and " exclusions" that could make A ferris wheel spin for years!! Try reading a car warranty, those are 10 pages of jargon that basically might cover the lug nut on your car and that is dependent if it was raining or snowing the day the damage happened! ( little exaggeration)

99% of warrenties do NOT carry Free replacement for consumables...meaning if you get a car, the warranty doesnt' cover life time replacement of wipers or gas fillings....yet dont ya know....some consumers actually THINK that they bought the warranty to cover such things????

I am a pack rat when it comes to receipts and I keep a recorded slip in my business files for large purchased or warranted items. Just makes sense! Its your responsibility to retain for proof. Sorry if you think its an "inconvenience" to register products but I have found it just the opposite. Registering makes it easier when the customer service rep pulls up the file.

HomeDepot has every right to change policy and notify consumers. Consumers have the right to have their warranty abided by and grandfathered in when Business's do change up or revise.