Complaint Review: The International Society Of Poetry And Poetry.com

• Updated: Fri, December 19, 2008

• Reported By:raymore Missouri
The International Society Of Poetry And Poetry.com
Nationwide U.S.A.

The International Society Of Poetry And Poetry.com He stole my private, unpublished poetry and says he's going to publish a book, with it in it Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: How this works...

*Consumer Comment: Sorry to hear about your situation

You have recieved many reports about Howard Ely on here and on the net.I guess you cannot believe anything.Of course, I too, sent him some of my personal poetry--he doesn't send it back.You really think--wow"My poem was good!!!"------Then comes his constant e-mails, trying to get you to buy a book with YOUR poetry in it and many other things.

I think poets are supposed to be paid or given something for their work.
Now, where has my poem gone???? I guess he stole my own work, without my permission!!!

As many reports as you have on this guy, someone needs to stop him!!!!

Marta ****
raymore, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/19/2008 04:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-International-Society-Of-Poetry-And-Poetrycom/nationwide/The-International-Society-Of-Poetry-And-Poetrycom-He-stole-my-private-unpublished-poetry-382642. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The International Society Of Poetry And Poetry.com

How this works...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

The "International Society of..." is more or less a vanity press. You can submit a poem on poetry.com or a photo on photo.com and sooner or later you will be contacted by someone who wants to publish your work in a book and give you an award. The trophies are sold at a profit and so are the books. The truth is, they will hit up anyone. Try it. Take a cell phone photo and submit it on photo.com and see what happens.

Some people pay the money to see themselves 'published', but the award carries no real value in the respective industry.

Marta was incorrect about one thing- poets do not necessarily have to be compensated for someone to publish their work. All that a publisher needs is a release and that is usually covered when the work is submitted. Check the terms and conditions on poetry.com and see if it said anything about the work being published.

Remember that you are also dealing with the laws of the locations where the ISoP offices are located.

Sorry to hear about your situation

AUTHOR: Pammile - (U.S.A.)

Marta, i am sorry to hear that this also happened to you. I was also in the same situation. I kept on waiting to hear about where my work went. Then I came on here and saw what they do. Google your name with the word 'poem" after it and you will see what they did. Anyone can buy our work or have it engraved on a plaque or put on a mousepad or tshirt. I am also upset by this. If you have any suggestions on how we can stop this madness, please contact me by posting a rebuttal under my post. We need to stop this company!!