Complaint Review: The International Society Of Poets

• Submitted: Sat, June 25, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, June 27, 2006

• Reported By:Boulder Colorado
The International Society Of Poets
1 Poetry Plaza Owings Mills, Maryland U.S.A.

The International Society Of Poets Now I'm totally confused Ripoff Owings Mills Maryland

*Consumer Comment: Don't do it

*Consumer Suggestion: It's really not about the poetry

*Consumer Suggestion: Two words: vanity press. They publish anything you write, as long as you foot the bill

*Consumer Comment: Difficult Issues There is no chance on Earth

I received an invitation to go to the convention on Aug.19-21st as I was nominated as poet of the year for 2005. My daughter has wanted me to go for years now. I am a single father raising four wonderful children on my own, so you moms know how expensive that is in itself. My daughter Megan had a bake sale and raised 48 dollars so far. I have written newspapers and tv stations to try to find a sponsor to go this year but to no avail. Finally I went to one newspaper in person and she said it sounds like a great story. She called me about an hour later and said "Ray, I read your work and its good, but you need to go to ripoffs.com and read some of the reports, I don't mean to burst your bubble but at least check it out. Thankyou Megan. I did take her advice and here I am. WOW!. Is this all true, even a twelve year old girl wrote in? So I called ISP and I did get a call back from "Jim" the very next morning, that was actually a plus to me that they did promptly return my call. He said they are listed with the BBB and knows of this site. He said competition and rival competitors are in every business and we know this is true, and they might be the ones posting this stuff. I have been told my poetry is worthy of winning by regular everyday people that I have shared it with, my ex mother in law even told my daughter I couldn't have written this that I copied my poetry out of books as he was getting ready to shread my last copy of "Spontaneous Originalities" I had made for people for xmas. So people, and especially that twelve year old young lady, yes your poetry is good and don't forget one thing, the main thing, it means a lot to you and you have a talent, you are able to write so people can see. Now back to ISP. I don't know what to do. Iwant to go, not to win the grand prize which would be nice though, but to meet these great writers. My daughter told me to take the profits and buy a folding table and chairs and she will sit there and continue to raise money for me. Wow, I love my children so much. Anyway I don't think I would win because I believe on one posting a poet from India said he was informed he already won, hmmm. Advise me please. And if this is legitimate, how about ISP. sending me the money for the plane fare, the convention, and setting up my room so I can go and tell everyone how great an experience it was? I wrote a sort of childrens poem and its really meant for everyone though, we all have been here, so tell me what you think
Shadow Warriors
Holding onto my pillow shaking underneath my sheets
Lights passing by and awful sounds coming from the streets
Shadows appeared each with a twisted evil grin
There appeared a dark hole they were trying to drag me in
All of a sudden there was a brilliant flash of light
And there stood a figure ready for a fight
Soon all evil was gone and I was at peace lying there
For I knew all would be fine, as I hugged my teddy bear.
Ray

Ray
Boulder, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2005 10:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-International-Society-Of-Poets/Owings-Mills-Maryland-21117-6282/The-International-Society-Of-Poets-Now-Im-totally-confused-Ripoff-Owings-Mills-Maryland-147480. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The International Society Of Poets

Don't do it

AUTHOR: Sandra - (U.S.A.)

Do not make the mistake of sending them any money. I caught on before sening any money. Thank God!

They will not pay your expenses for the convention because that is not profitable for them. They will pushlish anything sent to them.

Research them online. I came across a link talking about 20/20 doing a story on them. A class of elementary students were encouraged to go home and write poetry. I do believe these children were like in the second grade. Everyone from that class was sent an acceptance letter with the same promises.

That should tell you something.

Your poem is great by the way.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

It's really not about the poetry

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Without offering specific comments on the quality of others' published poems (I am sure there really are many talented poets out there), I had always wondered about contests/companies like this (as well as many of the "Who's Who..." books).

So, I wrote the worst poem I could (and it was! [I am an English teacher]). Without going into details, I got congratulated, accepted, and offered all the stuff - book, plaque, recordings, conventions, etc.

What did I learn? It's about getting lots of money from people's vanity! Period.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

You're a great poet. Now, buy our book with your poem in it. It's $50.

You won a contest. Send up $50 for your prize.
Painters/artists get the same crap.

You got real talent there. Send us $50 to help develop it.

Oh, and don't forget singer/songwriters.

No doubt about it, you're the next Shania Twain. Send us $50.

And, inventors.

That's better than the microchip! Send us $50 to start making them.

Why spend years seeking out a few with real talent? That's not where the money's at. It's much quicker, and infinitely more profitable to exploit the millions with little or no talent.

AUTHOR: Ray - (U.S.A.)

Hey Kathy, thanx for the quick feedback. Are you a fellow poet thats been burned by ISP or was my poem the wrong one? I have about fifty more.

Difficult Issues There is no chance on Earth

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

You have posed a number of questions. I'll take them one at a time:

1.) Should you attend the convention?

2.) Should you buy a folding table?

3.) Will you win the grand prize for your "Shadow Warriors" poem?

I highly doubt it.

4.) Should the convention organizers pay for your trip?

There is no chance on Earth of that happening.