characterized

• Submitted: Sun, July 27, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, April 10, 2010

• Reported By:Columbus Ohio
The Laptop Guy
980 West Fifth Avenue Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

The Laptop Guy Once you pay them, they take your money and run! Columbus Ohio

*Consumer Comment: testimonials are a joke

*Consumer Comment: I have been ripped off as well! REPORT IT REPORT IT!!

*Consumer Comment: Overpriced, underserviced

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Thank You Joe for your accurate account of situation with Mr. Hoffbuhr

*UPDATE Employee: Unreasonable Demands

These guys are terrible!! It took three different interactions with them to realize how crooked they really are. I have a long story involving 3 different hard drives which they replaced on the same computer over a two year time span. (This gives you an idea of the quality of product they are using if their hard drives crash so often.)

Each time they replaced my HD, they told me that they were able to recover some data from my old hard drive and for the great bargain price of $50ish dollars they will "restore" some of your old data. Well, I fell for that joke the first time, but after that I realized that all you have to do is buy a $5 piece of equipment to read your hard drive externally and you can do it yourself.

The second time one of their replacement hard drives crashed, I was leaving town on business in 2 days. So I spoke with an employee named Joe Hauge who promised me that they would overnight my computer to me as soon as they finished it. Well. . .it took them twice as long to finish it as I was told and Joe Hauge shipped it to me via UPS ground. When I called him he told me that he never said that he would ship it overnight to me and that I was making that up.

By the time it arrived in San Diego, I was already gone to a different city. It took me a month to find where my computer was shipped in San Diego and have it shipped back to Columbus. THESE PEOPLE ARE DISHONEST!!! DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS! DO NOT SHIP THEM ANYTHING!!!

Corhof
Columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2008 03:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Laptop-Guy/Columbus-Ohio-43212/The-Laptop-Guy-Once-you-pay-them-they-take-your-money-and-run-Columbus-Ohio-356223. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Laptop Guy

testimonials are a joke

AUTHOR: SassyGurl19 - (United States of America)

it is too bad that the testimonials are skewed and only positive.  To bad that those of us who were taken by you were not allow to have our voices heard.  Hide the negative and only show the positive... now I wonder why you have to do that?? what a joke... If you really were a honest service that worked with clients then you would not have to prove that you have happy clients because the happy clients would bring the business... the more I learn the sorrier I am that I every used your service... It is a complete joke... MEANT TO DECEIVE PEOPLE... if you were honest you would be able to expose the good as well as the bad... not that hard to appease a few people and use their reviews... anyone can do that...

I have been ripped off as well! REPORT IT REPORT IT!!

AUTHOR: SassyGurl19 - (United States of America)

I was coned as well and i totally love how they make no effort to actually discuss, like adults, and try to remedy the issue.  Whenever a problem arises BLAME THE CUSTOMER!  I had a similar experience and I have proof that I was not lying, but they decided it would be more effective to call me names and tell me I am a lair and HAHA we got your money there isn't shit you can do!  They had me spend a fortune on repairs and lied to me about pricing as well!  They also lied about issues with the computer and so much more!

I would like to suggest that if you have not file a compliant with the attorney general and the BBB.  They have more complaints than what is shown online... I called... you would not believe the things they have done to some consumers... thro the grapevine I heard they actually gave someone a cord, that was supposed to be new, with tape holding it together!  REALLY??  MONEY HUNGRY  Do reviews on websited anything you can to alert others!

the affiliation with the the Humane Society is just an attempt to fix a VERY spoiled identity!  We rip ppl off but OH WAIT!  What a joke!

Overpriced, underserviced

AUTHOR: Buckeyes403 - (U.S.A.)

The Laptop Guy has a good advertising campaign and their business has grown, but unfortunately, they have become a victim of their own success. Their customer service and quality hasn't quite kept up with their growth. I used to use The Laptop Guy to maintain my computer and I have to agree with the previous complaint. Their services are overpriced and many of the replacement parts they have used in my computers (RAM, Hard Drive) required replacement within 18 months. Additionally, I bought one of their "bargain" laptops from their store and it was riddled with problems and ended up dying just a year after I bought it. I haven't been back in awhile, but based on the owner's response, it appears that they continue to be focused more on growth than quality.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Thank You Joe for your accurate account of situation with Mr. Hoffbuhr

AUTHOR: Todd - (U.S.A.)

As the owner of The Laptop Guy I wanted to thank Joe for taking the time to write an accurate assessment of what transpired with Mr. Cory Hoffbuhr back in April of 08. The Laptop Guy strives always to have happy customers, but Cory's demands were not reasonable. The Laptop Guy does makes mistakes and when we do we are up front to our customer about it. This case was straight forward and work was done in a very timely matter. Cory was simply was rude and the scene he made in our store was not appropriate.

I encourage anyone reading this to take a look at our website and learn about The Laptop Guy company. You will learn we are an honest company. Cory's only purpose for leaving such a report was in hope to discredit our company. We could have simply ignored his report but I felt it was important to present accurate facts. In the Columbus, Ohio and nationwide we have a very good reputation and in the process of opening our 3rd retail store. We take great pride in our verified testimonial page on our website that we obtain from our monthly customer survey forms we send out

Todd Feit, Founder/CEO
The Laptop Guy, Inc
www.LaptopGuy.com
1-888-Buzz-Zoe

Unreasonable Demands

AUTHOR: Jhauge - (U.S.A.)

I happen to be the employee mentioned in this customer's attack on our service.

The products that we use in our repairs are the same used by repair companies across the nation. Unlike many other companies that only offer a 30 to 90 day warranty, we gladly offer a 1-year warranty on all of our repairs. At the time of this particular customer's original repair we we're offering a 2-year warranty. The customer walked into our location shortly before his 2-year warranty had expired (a year after his last repair) and demanded that we replace the hard drive on the spot because he was leaving town and was in a hurry. Our service has very clear guidelines for all warranty repairs, just as any other company, and before a warranty repair is provided the computer must be assessed to confirm that there is in fact need for a warranty repair. The customer decided that he was above our guidelines and that his assessment of the problem was adequate. When told he had to leave the laptop for evaluation he then demanded that we flat-out give him a free hard drive. Again, a highly unreasonable demand for any company to oblige. I would imagine most other big box companies would have laughed and closed the door at such a demand. I informed the customer we could expedite the diagnosis and perform the repair within about 3-4 business days, which is the time-frame we were quoting our standard customers at the time for diagnostics alone. The customer then agreed to leave the laptop with us, but not without making a scene at our retail location.

The customer was told that since he was leaving town we would provide free shipping anywhere within the lower 48 states when the repair was complete. At no time was the customer told the laptop would be shipped from Ohio to California OVERNIGHT for him at no charge, period. That's an extremely ambitious request from someone who had already treated us with a great lack of respect and it would have in no way been fulfilled.

Within 3 business days the hard drive was replaced, at no charge, under warranty and was ready to ship. At that time the customer had already left the state and left us with no shipping address. The customer replied 5 days later with a shipping address. As we had played phone tag with the customer that afternoon we made the UPS pickup truck wait 15 minutes for the customer to return our call so that we could get the laptop out that day. The laptop was shipped UPS Ground as is standard for all of our repairs, including warranty repairs, and the customer was provided a tracking number. The customer was outraged because the laptop was scheduled to arrive a day after he was to leave California. Mind you again, he waited 5 days to return our request for a shipping address.

In conclusion, the customer treated our employees and service with a great lack of disrespect from the beginning, when all we intended to do was provide a free warranty repair through our standard procedure as we would gladly do for any of our thousands of other customers. This time frame for repair did not fit in the customer's jet-setting lifestyle. Nor did it work well with his lack of ability to return a phone call within a timely manner, problems all his own. If the customer had remained in town he would have received the laptop back within 3 business days, something I can promise him very few other computer repair companies could offer by a long-shot.

We stand by our service and quality of work, and, as is hopefully apparent here, we are willing to work with even the most unreasonable customers. Please feel free to visit us at http://www.laptopguy.com. From our site you can contact us with any questions or concerns. You can also review our Trusted Testimonials where our customers have provided a great level of honest feedback about our service: http://laptopguy.com/testimonial.html