I was involved in a minor collision, where the other vehicle rear-ended my car when I was coming off the interstate onto a state road. The damage on my car was to the rear bumper, while the other car had damage to its grill and front bumper.
I filed an Accident Report with my agent, which was sent to MSA. A claim agent from MSA, Michele White, contacted me in a couple of days looking to get more information over the phone. She was noticebly impatient, interupting my story a number of times (I used simple words, short sentences, etc), and half way through my description she claimed that the accident is most likely my fault. She seemed to make this decision since I used the word "merged". I assured her that the faulr was not mine, and that "merged off the highway" does NOT mean "merged into the other vehicle". I had to make this distinction a number of times while she tyried to convince me otherwise.
I never used the word "merged" in my reports or otherwise.
The damage was estimated at $753, which I faxed in at Michele's request. I made repeated attempts to confirm that Michele in fact received the estimate, leaving massages on her voice mail, but my phone calls were never returned.
In about a week, I received a letter from MSA (signed by Michele) requesting additional information. They had a form to fill-out, which basically asked for similar information that was asked in the state-mendated (MA) Accident Report Form. I returned the form via snail mail.
Within two days, I received a check for $253, which is the estimate minus my deductible. Apperantly I was found responsible for the accident. I doubt that the form I returned was ever received before the decision was made.
I tried again to contact Michele, albeit without success. At this point I asked my insurance agent to help me getting in touch with MSA. She called me back within an hour, saying that she was able to get in touch with another agent, who was filling in for Michele while out on vacation. I spoke with the agent, who was very nice, yet not the bit surprised at my situation. The claim was already filed with the RMV, and there was nothing she could do to help. Michele's supervisor, Kim, was away on vacation as well, so I asked if she could call me back when possible.
Neither Kim nor Michele ever returned my calls, or the calls of my agent. I made a few more attempts to get Kim on the phone, looking for any information as to how the decision on the claim was made.
Honestly the amount was already not worth all the efforts, especially with my lovely 9-month daughter developing her little personality. So I called quits, yet I am going to appeal the decision with the RMV. I haven't decided yet if the $500 were worth going to a Small Claims Court.
Save yourself the trouble, find an insurance company that will help you at a time of crisis. Companies like MSA sound very nice on the phone, until it is time to pay up.