Complaint Review: The Main Street America Group

• Submitted: Mon, September 10, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, December 25, 2012

• Reported By: MrNiceGuy — Boston Massachusetts United States of America
The Main Street America Group
4601 Touchton Road East, Suite 3400 Jacksonville, Florida United States of America

The Main Street America Group MSA Group. Refused collision coverage for personal auto Jacksonville, Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Be real

*General Comment: OWN IT

*General Comment: OOPs

*General Comment: You should always watch what you say to other persons insurance company

*General Comment: OUCH

*Consumer Comment: Ok

I was involved in a minor collision, where the other vehicle rear-ended my car when I was coming off the interstate onto a state road. The damage on my car was to the rear bumper, while the other car had damage to its grill and front bumper.

I filed an Accident Report with my agent, which was sent to MSA. A claim agent from MSA, Michele White, contacted me in a couple of days looking to get more information over the phone. She was noticebly impatient, interupting my story a number of times (I used simple words, short sentences, etc), and half way through my description she claimed that the accident is most likely my fault. She seemed to make this decision since I used the word "merged". I assured her that the faulr was not mine, and that "merged off the highway" does NOT mean "merged into the other vehicle". I had to make this distinction a number of times while she tyried to convince me otherwise.

I never used the word "merged" in my reports or otherwise.

The damage was estimated at $753, which I faxed in at Michele's request. I made repeated attempts to confirm that Michele in fact received the estimate, leaving massages on her voice mail, but my phone calls were never returned.

In about a week, I received a letter from MSA (signed by Michele) requesting additional information. They had a form to fill-out, which basically asked for similar information that was asked in the state-mendated (MA) Accident Report Form. I returned the form via snail mail.

Within two days, I received a check for $253, which is the estimate minus my deductible. Apperantly I was found responsible for the accident. I doubt that the form I returned was ever received before the decision was made.

I tried again to contact Michele, albeit without success. At this point I asked my insurance agent to help me getting in touch with MSA. She called me back within an hour, saying that she was able to get in touch with another agent, who was filling in for Michele while out on vacation. I spoke with the agent, who was very nice, yet not the bit surprised at my situation. The claim was already filed with the RMV, and there was nothing she could do to help. Michele's supervisor, Kim, was away on vacation as well, so I asked if she could call me back when possible.

Neither Kim nor Michele ever returned my calls, or the calls of my agent. I made a few more attempts to get Kim on the phone, looking for any information as to how the decision on the claim was made.

Honestly the amount was already not worth all the efforts, especially with my lovely 9-month daughter developing her little personality. So I called quits, yet I am going to appeal the decision with the RMV. I haven't decided yet if the $500 were worth going to a Small Claims Court.

Save yourself the trouble, find an insurance company that will help you at a time of crisis. Companies like MSA sound very nice on the phone, until it is time to pay up.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2012 07:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Main-Street-America-Group/Jacksonville-Florida-32246/The-Main-Street-America-Group-MSA-Group-Refused-collision-coverage-for-personal-auto-Jack-938911. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Main Street America Group

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Be real

AUTHOR: insureyou - ()

I am an insurance agent who has no affiliation with MSA at all.

The police decide who is at fault in an auto accident. That is why you should always call the police.

The insurance adjuster reads the police report and pays the claim based on that. The insurance agent is left completely out of the claims loop these days.

No need to blame the agent, adjuster, or insurance company in this case. They did send you a check right?

#2 General Comment

OWN IT

AUTHOR: Sirch-Two - ()

You caused the accident dufus... you merged off of the highway into the path of a vehicle that was already established on the roadway.  Don't expect to ever see that $500 deductible.  Take responsiblity for your actions...own it. Your insurance company is doing their job & doing it properly.  Remeber this the next time you need to merge onto a roadway.

#3 General Comment

OOPs

AUTHOR: John - (United States of America)

When you said merge onto the highway from the entrance ramp- this puts you into fault for entering the path of an oncoming vehicle- You are at fault. If you were merging off of the highway onto a ramp- then the other vehicle would be at fault for following too close. Your agent should have given you guidance on this. Don't avoid Mainstreet- avoid your agent.

#4 General Comment

You should always watch what you say to other persons insurance company

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

You should alway watch what you say when dealing with the other persons insurance company. A better thing to do would be to have them deal with your insurance company if possible.

If someone tail ended you it is best to take pictures then and there with your cell phone as well as getting the information.

Did this happen in FL or MA?

When you exited off the interstate was the car following you or were you in fact merging on to the state highway and were you supposed to yield to traffic already there?

Hopefully you did not cash the check since that can be construed as accepting the settlement that they offered you. I am pretty sure you cannot file a small claims case against the insurance company if that is the case since you already settled with them. You MAY be able to file a small claims case against the driver of the other vehicle to offset your deductible but you should check out the laws of your state.

Was the other driver cited for hitting you? If so did the other driver plead guilty or no contest to the charges?

#5 General Comment

OUCH

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

Where I live a "not at fault" crash is no deductable.

This is where it gets fun.

Take the police report and all other documents.

File a small claims suit againt the offending insurance company.

One of two things will happen. You will explain why you think they should pay and they will defend themselves.  You will win or loose. Be care full to follow all the silly rules and don't say anything you can't absolutely prove.

2nd the insurance company doesn't show for the court date and you get to leagaly pester them until they pay.

Good Fun either way.

Ok

AUTHOR: TWSM - (USA)

Ok I hate to sound dumb, but is the insurance company supposed to cover your deductible if you show the accident is not your fault?  I thought you always had to pay the deductible regardless of whose fault it is?