Complaint Review: The Main Street Gym

• Submitted: Mon, September 28, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 21, 2011

• Reported By: BozemanResident — Bozeman Montana USA
The Main Street Gym
7 West Main Street in the Lower Level Suite Bozeman, Montana United States of America

The Main Street Gym Main Street Gym Bozeman Gym Cancellation Policy a SCAM Bozeman, Montana

*Author of original report: Updated - Check Online Reviews

*Author of original report: WHAT A JOKE...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Gym Cancellation Policy

*Author of original report: Main Strett Gym Bozeman, MT - Cancellation Policy

I signed up with the Main Street Gym in Bozeman, MT on a promotional 2 year membership agreement.  The owner Mike Murgatory, set up my account the agreement with an automatic payment directly from my checking account for $29.00 taking at the beginning of each month.  After going through the written contract, I asked Mike what would happen if I needed to cancel my account before the 2 year agreement was completed.  I was informed that moving to a different city in Montana would qualify as a legit means to cancel the membership agreement and waive any fees associated with terminating the agreement.

After one year of membership my job required me to move away from the Bozeman area (which I anticipated on my initial gym membership). I asked what was required to cancel my account with The Main Street Gym and was told I needed proof of my relocation (such as a power bill or new rental lease). [continued below]....

.....  This was to be sent to First National Fitness in Utah, who acts as the billing department for The Main Street Gym. Which I thought was fairly strange.  I sent a letter confirming my cancellation along with a copy of my new lease to First National Fitness at the end of Feb 2009.

Long story short, 7 months later (Sept 09) I was going through my checking account and realized that an automatic withdrawl for $29.00 was still being taken from my account every month dating back to Feb 09.  I was furious and called The Main Street Gym.  The "manager" stated that the noticed needed to be sent certified mail and there was nothing she could do for me, that I needed to contact First National Fitness. So I called First National Fitness, they informed me I needed to contact the Main Street Gym to sort through everything.  Ontop of everything else, First National Fitness informed me they had not recieved my $50 cancellation fee.

So at this point I was already out $203 for the gym I didn't use, and now had a $50 cancellation fee that Mike Murgatory (the owner) told me to not worry about and could waive.

As of 9/28/2009 The Main Street Gym has done absolutely nothing. They will not get me a copy of the agreement I supposively signed and First National Fitness (whoever they are), will not discuss the matter any further and demands the $50 payment (which the Main Street Gym collects) or be turned over to collection.  I have spoke to owner Mike Murgatory several times and he was very rude to me on the phone and offered no simpathy in any way shape or form.  POOR BUSINESS ETHICS.

CONSUMER BEWARE. The Main Street Gym will try and bleed you dry for every cent.  Cancellation fees will not be waived and your membership cannot be cancelled very easy. Make sure you put a "STOP PAYMENT" on your checking account to cease any further charges and make sure to call First National Fitness to ensure they don't "recieve" your cancellation letter and proof of new residence"

I will never recommend anyone do to business with The Main Street Gym in Bozeman, MT, they don't value their customers and will kick you to the curb once you are finished as a member.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2009 02:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Main-Street-Gym/Bozeman-Montana-59715/The-Main-Street-Gym-Main-Street-Gym-Bozeman-Gym-Cancellation-Policy-a-SCAM-Bozeman-Montan-501374. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Main Street Gym

Updated - Check Online Reviews

AUTHOR: BozemanResident - (USA)

If you want more information check out the online reviews at Google. It looks other customers have had the same problem.

WHAT A JOKE...

AUTHOR: BozemanResident - (USA)

Let's review the facts? Nice Try...

You personally signed my husband and I up. I'M 100% SURE ON THIS. We both "won" a promotional gym membership over a radio ad. We met at the gym that evening and remember sitting down with you in the front area by the register (in the old gym) on the bar like counter top. You personally showed us your gym and the equipment. We did NOT speak with any representatives of the radio promotion. You should remember this because I worked at a local Bozeman business right down the street and you I and we both had a sense of who each other we're before we signed up. Yes we did sign the documents but that doesn't mean what you said to us wasn't true. Maybe we should have read the fine print but you specifically told us that there would be no fees associated with leaving your gym early or we would have not signed up because we knew for a fact we would be moving before the membership was up. You had a manager contact me several times when I specifically asked to speak with you. Why would you not call me back? Why did you not want to personally speak with me?

It doesn't matter if you know who I am. I'm surprised you remember after having "thousands" of clients. My point is that we were taken advantage of, we asked for help or clarification and we got an answer like we were just one or two of your "thousands" of customers. I hope you don't treat anymore of your "thousands" of customers like you did to us. You're just upset because not very many people take the time to call a business out on something like this. So deal with it.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Gym Cancellation Policy

AUTHOR: Michael D. Murgatroy, Co-owner - (United States of America)

Dear "Anonymous",

I have known of your report since it was posted on this site last year.  In fact, my manager called you shortly after you posted this because we all knew who it was. Perhaps you remember telling her that it was not you who authored this report, but your boyfriend?

Let's review the facts:
The first false statement is that I personally signed you up.  That is incorrect, you were signed up by a promotional consultant who managed that membership special. Consulting companies are commonly used in the industry so that the gym owners can focus their time and attention on their existing clientele.  You were given a copy of your membership agreement with the initials of this Consultant as your "enroller" at the time you signed up. The consulting company is in charge of the billing account for their promotional enrollees.  This is also stated in your contract. We have a copy of your contract on file, and so does the consulting company. And we have offered to give you another copy of it for your records since.

Secondly, you and I did not have a conversation about "waiving any fees" for early termination. The membership agreement states the process for early termination due to a move, and a cancellation fee is always associated with this.

Finally, the consulting company always requires that proof of moving be sent by certified mail.  This is to protect you as the customer by providing you proof that your information reached the responsible party.  The consulting companies will not accept cancellations that are not sent by certified mail.  They outline each person on this when you them.

Like I said above, we were aware of who you were because it was always clear in your dealings with us that you thought the rules should not apply to you.  Fortunately, we have thousands of current and past members and almost all of them have been great.

Should anyone reading this report like information about our policies, please contact me through my website at www.themainstreetgym.com.

Yours in Good Health,
Michael Murgatroy

Main Strett Gym Bozeman, MT - Cancellation Policy

AUTHOR: BozemanResident - (USA)

I signed up with the Main Street Gym in Bozeman, MT on a promotional 2 year membership agreement.  The owner Mike Murgatroy, set up my account with an automatic payment directly debited from my checking account for $29.00 at the beginning of each month.  After going through the written contract, I asked Mike what would happen if I needed to cancel my account before the 2 year agreement was completed.  I was informed that moving to a different city in Montana would qualify as a legit means to cancel the membership agreement and waive any fees associated with terminating the agreement. After one year of membership my job required me to move away from the Bozeman area (which I had already anticipated previously to signing the contract). I asked the receptionist what was required to cancel my account with The Main Street Gym and was told I needed to submit proof of my relocation (such as a power bill or new rental lease).  This was to be sent to First National Fitness in Utah, who acts as the billing department for The Main Street Gym. Which I thought was fairly strange and irritating.  I signed up with The Main Street Gym to do business with them and no other outside company. I was not informed at the time of sign up that I would be dealing with a third party.

I sent a letter confirming my cancellation along with a copy of my new lease to First National Fitness at the end of Feb 2009. Long story short, 7 months later (Sept '09) I was going through my checking account and realized that an automatic withdrawal for $29.00 was still being taken from my account every month dating back to Feb 09.  I wish I would have caught it sooner, but sometimes it's hard to catch every little detail.  I was furious and called The Main Street Gym immediately.  The "manager" on duty stated that the noticed needed to be sent certified mail and there was nothing she could do for me, that I needed to contact First National Fitness and deal with them. Basically being pawned off on this other business that I didn't know existed.  So I called First National Fitness, they informed me I needed to contact the Main Street Gym to sort everything out.  On top of everything else, First National Fitness informed me they had not received my $50 cancellation fee . So at this point I was already out $203 for the gym I didn't use, and now had a $50 cancellation fee that Mike Murgatroy (the owner) told me to not worry about and could waive.

As of 9/30/2009 The Main Street Gym has done absolutely nothing. They will not get me a copy of the agreement I "signed" and First National Fitness (whoever they are), will not discuss the matter any further and demands the $50 payment (which the Main Street Gym receives according to the representative at FNS) or be turned over to collection.  I have spoke to owner Mike Murgatroy after the desk manager was unhelpful and he was very rude and answered everything with "it's in the contract".  He was cold on the phone and offered no sympathy in any way shape or form.  POOR BUSINESS ETHICS.

CONSUMER BEWARE. The Main Street Gym will try and bleed you dry for every cent.  Cancellation fees will not be waived and your membership cannot be canceled very easily. Make sure you put a "STOP PAYMENT" on your checking account to cancel any further charges and make sure to call First National Fitness to ensure they "receive" your cancellation letter and proof of new residence if you find yourself in my position.

I will never recommend anyone do to business with The Main Street Gym in Bozeman, MT. They DO NOT value their customers and will kick you to the curb once you are finished as a member. DO NOT sign up with The Main Street Gym and give into their promotional gimmicks.