Complaint Review: The Means of Production

• Updated: Tue, January 22, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — hollywood California United States of America
The Means of Production
los angeles, California United States of America

The Means of Production Mike Meltzer sold me a completely inoperational piece of high end vintage audio equipment reported to be in working condition los angeles, California

Mike Meltzer, The Means of Production, sold me a piece of vintage audio equipment (an EMT 250) that was reportedly completely operational.  This is a rare piece of equipment, not easily found.  He charged me the amount you would pay for one in perfect working and cosmetic condition.  When it arrived, it not only was in horrendous cosmetic condition (I'd been sent photos but they did not show all of the cosmetic damage), it did not work.  It sounded terrible and nothing like that piece of equipment is supposed to sound.

I contacted Mike to let him know and he said to send it to the repair shop that handles this piece of equipment, and he'd handle it.  After I did so, he put me off for several weeks, telling me he was "working on it and would get back to me".  I paid the shop to start the work and once they started the work they found that almost everything inside the machine needed to be replaced and didn't work.  I let Mike know that the estimate to repair this piece of equipment was now over $4,000.  Mike said he'd pay $1,000 and thought that was fair as the rest was a "rebuild", meaning an upgrade (the original price I paid was over $8,000).

I checked with the repair shop and they said that it was absolutely not a rebuild and that it wouldn't work without what they were doing.  I wrote to Mike to let him know this and he now will not answer any e-mails or phone calls.  I let him know that I was going to have to turn this over to my legal department and he still did not respond.  After I bought this equipment from him, I found out that I am not the first person to be ripped off by Mike Meltzer and he has a reputation of being someone who can't be trusted in business dealings.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2013 01:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Means-of-Production/los-angeles-California-/The-Means-of-Production-Mike-Meltzer-sold-me-a-completely-inoperational-piece-of-high-end-1000922. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Means of Production