• Report: #198734

• Submitted: Thu, June 29, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, June 29, 2006

• Reported By:Flanders New Jersey
The Moving Connection
59 North 5th St., Saddle Brook, New Jersey U.S.A.

The Moving Connection FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES/ FAILURE TO REFUND DEPOSIT/ DO NOT USE!!!! Saddle Brook New Jersey

I had found this company in the yellow pages. I had done my research (or so I thought) and could not find anything which would indicate a scam or other fraudulent types of business practices.

I contacted them on a Saturday speaking to a sales rep who provided a "moving quote" via email. I then recontacted the sales rep and was asked for a $200 deposit to reserve the date which I gave her via credit card. At no time did the sales rep advise that this deposit was nonrefundable. Nor did the quote contain any language indicating that the deposit was nonrefundable. I also never signed anything.

On the following Tuesday morning I decided to cancel with this company as they did not provide a binding GNTE estimate. I was read the riot act by the owner, Jennifer Chase who berated me and angrily advised that all deposits are nonrefundable andthat I was taking money out of their pocket and now she would not be able to rebook the date.

I reminded her that at no time did the sales rep tell me the deposit was nonrefundable nor did it say so on the estimate. I further advised that one usually has 3 business days to cancel. Jennifer then told me she would need to ask the state's permission to refund my money as her refund policy was written in her tariff filed with the state.

Her explanation was totally preposterous especially since the State has no control over interstate moves. After emailing her repeadately she finally agreed to refund the deposit less the credit card fees which in itself is illegal to do. Moreover her responding email was nasty and further berated me. I was shocked that the owner of a company could treat her customers in this way.

I am still waiting for the deposit to be credited to my account. I have filed a dispute with my bank, and complaints with the BBB (of which they are a member) and the FMCSA.

Do not use this company. Her business practices are below board and appear to be illegal.

Amy
Flanders, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2006 06:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Moving-Connection/Saddle-Brook-New-Jersey-07663/The-Moving-Connection-FRAUDULENT-BUSINESS-PRACTICES-FAILURE-TO-REFUND-DEPOSIT-DO-NOT-USE-198734. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Moving Connection