Complaint Review: The Offices of Ally (sp?)

• Submitted: Fri, May 02, 2014
  • Updated: Fri, May 02, 2014

• Reported By: Jennifer — New York New York
The Offices of Ally (sp?)
Internet USA

The Offices of Ally ,sp?, James Alexander, Michael Fake Debt Collection Internet

On Thursday, April 17, 2014, I received a voicemail message from someone identifying himself as James Alexander. He did not identify the company he was calling from or specify that the communication was an attempt to collect a debt. He said that there is a legal case against me in Los Angeles County and he gave me a case number. He said his office must hear back from me immediately or they would be forced to contact my employer about this matter. He left this contact number: 855-245-3506.

I called the number back and spoke with someone identifying himself as Michael. He had details about the debt that sounded plausible and he said a case against me is "pending." He asked when I would be able to pay the debt and I set about setting up an installment plan. I asked if I could pay by check or money order and he said that is not possible and I would have to pay by handing over my bank account information. I then said I would have to call back and hung up. The next day's conversation is detailed below.

Call with The Offices of Ally (sp?), 855-245-3506, ext. 211, Michael, 8am CDT, Friday, April 18, 2014

Me: We spoke yesterday afternoon regarding an installment plan for a debt.

Michael: How can I help you?

Me: Before I can pay anything, I will need to receive written verification that I in fact owe this debt. Can I please have your first and last name, the name of your company, and a street address where I can send a request for written verification of this debt?

When asked for contact information to send a request for written verification, Michael said that he cannot give out that information because they do not handle the debt directly. When asked who I am giving my money to in order to pay off this debt, he said that he needs to receive payment information from me so there can be a record from them on my bank statement. I asked again for written verification of the debt and he said that at this point I am not legally allowed written verification because the debt is so old and if I choose not to pay I will be taken to court. He said that I am allowed to contest the debt and I said that I am not contesting it, I am merely asking for written verification that I owe it. He then accused me of not being willing to pay at all. I asked again for contact information and he refused. I then told him I will be reporting this incident to the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General’s office and he does not have permission to further contact me or my employer about this matter, and if he does he will be hearing from my attorney. He said that I can tell the state that later when they call me and he wished me a great day. I said thank you and hung up.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2014 12:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Offices-of-Ally-sp/internet/The-Offices-of-Ally-sp-James-Alexander-Michael-Fake-Debt-Collection-Internet-1143594. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Offices of Ally (sp?)