Complaint Review: The Powell Company

• Submitted: Tue, June 12, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, June 15, 2012

• Reported By: Crashed Girl by Powell — Norfolk Virginia United States of America
The Powell Company
8631 Hayden Place Culver City, California United States of America

The Powell Company Furniture Company Girl 12 years sit on bar stool, at furniture store the stool collapsed fell to floor, and crashed into many pieces. Culver City, California

*Consumer Comment: Not without proof...

*Author of original report: Crashed Girl by Powell

*Consumer Comment: Please let Team Rebutt knows

*Consumer Comment: Yes, and???

*General Comment: and???

My 12 year old daughter and I went to the furniture store to look for furniture. Each of us was looking for pieces and browsing the store.We were taken up stairs by the sales man, but did not see anything we liked up there. We came down stairs together, salesman, daughter,and myself,and started looking downstairs.

My daughter was looking and trying out the furniture for pieces for her room. We were seperated, there was not any one else on the sales room floor that evening. It was around 7:30 or 8pm.

As I was looking at the sofas I heard a loud crash. I immediately looked up and started calling my daughter. The salesman who was helping me was sitting down talking to another lady near the door to the counter entrance. He got up when he heard the loud crash.

I started walking towards the sound, in the back on the side of the store. I called my daughter, several times, no answer. When I got to the area, my daughter was on her knees, and red pieces of the bar stool she sit on fell and crashed into many pieces. She was traumatized, and crying. I was terrified too. Why did this stool crash and break into many pieces. It must have been defective, to do this. My child could not move, she was so scared. The manager came, and several other people. They took pictures, and got my information. We left, and went to doctor the next day. Her leg was bothering her. No work and school
that day. Very traumatic experience for us both.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2012 07:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Powell-Company/Culver-City-California-90232/The-Powell-Company-Furniture-Company-Girl-12-years-sit-on-bar-stool-at-furniture-store-th-896694. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Powell Company

Not without proof...

AUTHOR: Chad - (USA)

Let's be honest. You're not talking about your child being compensated. YOU want some money for this supposed incident.

I'd like to suggest that your daughter might not be completely innocent in this. Children have a tendency to use furniture in ways they shouldn't. It's more likely she tipped over by leaning back than the chair with a 300 lb weight limit suffering mysterious disintegration. A leg injury is more indicative of a side impact from a fall, not a chair "crumbling".

Your daughter is shaken up but has no apparent major or lasting injuries. My recommendation would be to thank God and move on. It was actually very nice of the company to not try to charge you for the damaged furniture.

Crashed Girl by Powell

AUTHOR: Crashed Girl by Powell - (United States of America)

The message I would like to convey is the furniture/bar stool was defective, and should not have fallen apart when someone sit on it. Prospective buyers of this furniture/stool should be aware and know of this incident. When looking to buy furniture, it is normal to test it out first. That is how most people buy furniture. The furniture should not crumble. The information on the stool tag said it had a weight capacity of 300 pounds. My daughter was no were near that size. Should my child be compensated? Yes.

Please let Team Rebutt knows

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

Team Rebutt must know every detail, they MUST know

Yes, and???

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

As the other reply said, and? Did they charge you for the broken furniture? Or did you try to sue them for the accident? No one knew what exactly happened besides your daughter because, per your report, no one saw what happened. I am not sure what is your next action or their next action, so I am not sure what this report is serving.

#5 General Comment

and???

AUTHOR: Christiana - (U.S.A.)

And???