Complaint Review: The Source By Circuit City

• Updated: Wed, November 19, 2008

• Reported By:Windsor Ontario
The Source By Circuit City
3100 Howard Ave, Unit #Ss11 Windsor, Ontario Canada

The Source By Circuit City Failure to live up to extended warranty terms, on widescreen LCD TV Windsor Ontario Canada

*Author of original report: The Source by Circuit City made good on warranty

This is a much condensed version, to fit in the space provided. I have a lot more details.

During the extended warranty period, my TV developed three problems: at least one pair of adjacent pixels died, it developed 4x3 "burn in", and the main (Component 1) input suddenly failed to accept 720p input any more.

When I was sold the extended warranty, I was told specifically by the salesman who was later promoted to store manager that two adjacent pixels dying was enough to replace the LCD.

The then (different) store manager accepted my TV for warranty repair, leaving me the impression all three problems would be fixed.

At his own discretion, the tech who worked on my TV did not address the two LCD issues, and claimed to have fixed the input problem. Under the impression that they could not send the TV back to him immediately to make him fix it as per the warranty, I took it home temporarily. Even the one problem he claimed to have fixed was not fixed.

I made a third trip to bring the TV back to be fixed (again). I might add that because I own only a small 2-seat car, the TV won't fit in my car, and I had to borrow my parents' SUV for all of my trips. I'll also add that this is my only TV.

The TV was "fixed" again, and they claim they replaced the LCD, and the store called me in to get it, but even when I got to the store, they told me that actually they tried it out there, and the input problem still wasn't fixed. They actually asked me if that was OK. What good is a new screen if you can't hook up your satellite box to it? I made them send it back to be "fixed" again. But it is my view that the tech is incompetent. I know that in my job, when we fixed something, we tested it in a variety of usage scenarios before it went out to the customer to make sure we didn't break something else. That testing obviously was not done for my TV.

In the meantime, I've talked to the district manager (who generally agreed with me), the warranty people (not useful at all) and the tech himself (very rude and condescending) and I sent a letter to the CEO of Circuit City, the parent company of The Source. I got a letter back saying to contact a particular executive assistant, but after NINE phone calls to two such assistants, nobody will call me back.

I still don't have my TV after at least six weeks!

At this point, I no longer trust the tech to work in good faith on my TV, particularly given that due to Circuit City's financial problems, he may feel that his job is going away anyway. I want a new TV of similar features (26-inch widescreen HD LCD with two RGB component inputs, HDMI, and cable input)

Also, if you'd like to know, the TV was an Acer, and it's the last Acer TV I'll ever be buying. I sent a letter to their CEO as well, and didn't even get a response at all. But my current complaint is with The Source by Circuit City, because they sold it to me, and they sold me the extended warranty.

Randy
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2008 01:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Source-By-Circuit-City/Windsor-Ontario-N8X-3Y8/The-Source-By-Circuit-City-Failure-to-live-up-to-extended-warranty-terms-on-widescreen-LC-390753. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Source By Circuit City

AUTHOR: Randy - (Canada)

After seven weeks, and countless trips to the store, and after a gruelling 2-hour investigation of my TV at the store itself that confirmed one of my initial complaints, The Source by Circuit City finally made good on their extended warranty. They replaced my TV with a new TV (different brand, slightly larger, but essentially the same in features). Normally exchanging old for new LCD TV would be a joyous event, but I can only feel empty after the hoops they put me through. I am not kidding when I say that I could write a novella about it.

I would like to point out only the final two kicks in the pants I got as I concluded my business with The Source.

(1) They did not permit me to take the original box that the TV came in. If I require manufacturer warranty service in the next year, I will probably need to get The Source to explain to the television manufacturer that I never had access to the original box. I got to see them open the box, but then it was taken away from me because they claimed to need it.

(2) As I was lugging my TV through Zellers to the parking lot, a gracious Zellers employee named Bev helped me carry it right to my car. When I complimented Bev to the store manager, the store manager expressed shock that The Source permitted me to leave the store without someone helping me carry the TV through Zellers. It has been her experience that The Source customers carrying large electronic items like TVs through Zellers to get to the parking lot are usually accompanied by The Source employees to help them safely carry the item. I cannot remember this happening to me once in the seven weeks I lugged this TV back and forth between home and the store.

I could write so much more about this experience, but I'll close simply by thanking those The Source / Intertan / Circuit City employees who helped me, by being both knowledgeable and interested in helping me with my warranty claim. With the exception of some receptionists, everyone else involved at the store, in customer support, in the warranty department, at the CEO's office, and in the tech lab, was only interested in trying to make me go away by any means necessary. The people I want to thank for their help are Ahmed the assistant store manager, Derek the district manager, and Jeff the tech manager. I may have spelled the names wrong. If The Source by Circuit City employed more genuinely decent people such as these, they would not have permanently lost me as a customer.

Victor