Complaint Review: The Swiss Colony

The Swiss Colony False Advertising - "PRE-APPROVED" Madison, Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: Completely Out of Line

*UPDATE Employee: You are very confused

*Consumer Suggestion: Silly people

Beware of catalogues coming from The Swiss Colony.  I received one in the mail and it claimed I was "PRE-APPROVED" for a $400. purchase limit.

I decided I would purchase some items for the Christmas holidays and went to their site to place my order.  Before making the selection of items, I signed in and created my account.  As I was "PRE-APPROVED," I assumed my "account number" was listed on my "Choose 'N Charge" card or the Express Order Form of my catalogue.

When filling out the information, I placed the number found above my name in the catalogue into the online account number slot.  It was rejected.

When I called customer service, I confronted them about the false advertisement of being "PRE-APPROVED."  I was told I was approved, and my account number was found in the pink shaded box above my name in the catalogue.  I hung up and tried again.

When my further attempts to enter my account number failed, I called customer service again.  I was then told I was not REALLY "PRE-APPROVED" - rather, I had to have a credit check.  When I told the representative it was false advertising, she remarked, "I didn't write the catalogue."

I now refuse to order anything from them.  I feel deceived and feel as though I wasted 2 hours of my valuable time under the false pretense that I was indeed "PRE-APPROVED."

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/01/2009 07:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Swiss-Colony/Madison-Wisconsin-53566/The-Swiss-Colony-False-Advertising-PRE-APPROVED-Madison-Wisconsin-531293. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Swiss Colony

Completely Out of Line

AUTHOR: Christina - ()

This is unbelievable.  I received the same catalog and of course saw the comment about a credit check.  I planned on taking a look at the details online and when I did a google search on Swiss Colony I noticed this site.

After reading the replies to the customers complaint of false advertising, I no longer want to bother with Swiss Colony.  The two rebuttals are proof enough to me that the company has terrible customer service.  The thought that a company’s employees would log onto this website and bash and degrade a possible customer is completely ridiculous.  Did it ever occur to you that rather than get defensive you could have maybe saved this customer?

It is a real shame too.  I would have loved to spend the entire $400 (had I been approved) and order my entire Xmas list here, but now, forget it.  Now that I know what I will be dealing with if there is an issue.  Your organization and management should be embarrassed by your comments and maybe should offer you some type of counselling on handling your anger issues with customers in a more constructive way rather than bashing an innocent person who misunderstood your mailing.

I guess I should be glad you commented, it saved me from ever having to deal with likes of your customer service!

You are very confused

AUTHOR: Z Rog - (United States of America)

If you were to open the catalog up, and actually read the fine print, where it tells you that the final credit approval is subject to the credit dept, maybe you wouldn't come on here bashing a good company. We send out many catalogs that say "Preapproved", but after you place the order, they do a credit check and it all depends on how that comes out. Even if they do not approve the order, they ask for a downpayment on the order, which means you are still able to get it. Just because it says preapproved does not mean that you are 100% pre approved. It is not false advertisement, it is customers who won't do their research on the company. There are not many places that are just going to randomly approve you for 400 dollars, so you should have been skeptical in the first place. I have worked at this company a long time, and my mother has worked there for 15 years. I do, however, apologize you were given false info the first time you called, and the second time you called, you clearly had a rude rep. As a general rule, most of our reps are very kind and helpful, but apparently you got a meaner one. Just read the fine print next time. Honestly. The whole situation could have been avoided, I am sick of getting screamed at my customers who do not think ahead, and generally when I have a customer screaming at me, they feel pretty dumb at the end of the conversation when they realize they were wrong.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Silly people

AUTHOR: Amanda - (United States of America)

Did you bother to read the fine print in the catalog? I am sorry, but you are just plain ignorant to believe that a company would blindly offer credit to people without a credit check. While I will admit it is slightly deceptive to boldly advertise "CHOOSE N CHARGE UP TO $400*" I also believe that they do add the asterik to the end of this statement. In some cases I believe the company already has some credit information on the recipient of the catalog (from other catalog ordering companies or affiliates) and does extend credit of either $100 or $400 pre-approved, and once they check your credit they may decide to extend one of those amounts to you, but to offer some average joe with a credit score of who knows what a credit limit?? That's just silly.

My advice to anyone who reads that phrase is to follow the asterik it will explain in further detail what the "pre-approval" is all about.