Complaint Review: The Tax Club

• Submitted: Wed, March 21, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, September 21, 2013

• Reported By:Lake Preston South Dakota
The Tax Club
The Empire State Building 350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 5410 New York, NY 10118 New York, New York United States of America

The Tax Club, Manhattan Professional Group, Advantage Corporation Very poor at returning calls, never get the same person twice, did not fulfill agreement New York New York

*Author of original report: The Tax Club, Advantage Corporation Services, partial refund received

My husband and I got sucked into the Tax Club and Advantage Corporation services shortly after starting our ecommerce store-building. We were contacted by both Advantage Corporation and The Tax Club(Manhattan Professional Group) and led to believe that our business would do better and save money by being affiliated with both of these entities. With The Tax Club we started off with their cheapest 'plan' of $518.99 plus $49.95 per month to provide us with tax advice, prepare our taxes and save us at least $1000 in the first year. Of course there is a disclaimer in the agreement which states that The Tax Club does not guarantee any results.

The Tax Club was very poor with communications. I tried many times to call and was either on hold for long periods of time or more often, left messages that were never returned.

We were very uncomfortable with the Virtual Tax Organizer since there are a lot of things pertinent to our tax returns which did not have a place on the Virtual Tax Organizer. I tried to explain these items in the final comments section and tried to get someone to go over it with me by telephone but still it took a while to get someone to actually talk to me about it and then still was left with the feeling that they just didn't get it.

They also convinced us to pay $99 for them to prepare a promissory note showing a loan from our personal accounts to our corporation and we have not received the promissory note either even though I sent them the information requested several times.

Advantage Corporation Services charged a lot of money to set up a Nevada Corporation for us and kept advising us that all business correspondence needed to be sent through their Nevada address and they would forward it to us. They said that way we would have no tax or financial liabilities to the state of South Dakota where we live. We felt as though we were sneaking around and did not feel as though we received our mail in a timely manner.

Then there was the day that a package was sent back by a customer and they sent it to the Nevada address. I called Advantage Corp and asked how the forwarding worked in that type of situation and they said they forward the packages for free! A few days later I received the package back and a few months later there was a charge on our credit card for $52.75 for them to overnight this package to us! When I called to ask about that they said they send it on to us by the same method they recieve it and since it wasn't by USPS they charge us for it. I would have had it sent by a different method if they had told me that when I asked!!

By last fall, Sept. 2006, we were pretty fed up with Advantage Corporation and The Tax Club. We visited with our old accountant here and an attorney and since tax laws in South Dakota are very favorable to businesses (ranked in the top five) we set up an LLC here in South Dakota and decided to discontinue the corporation in Nevada at the end of the year.

When I cancelled the services of The Tax Club, I asked for our depreciation schedule but still have not received it and left messages several times since then which were not returned and have not received our depreciation schedule.

We are back to using our tax accountant that we used before The Tax Club and feel very confident in his abilities and he just shakes his head and wonders where these Tax Club people came up with some of the figures for our tax return.

We definitely DO NOT feel that The Tax Club saved us $1000 on our taxes. We feel that we have been overcharged and misled by both The Tax Club (Manhattan Professional Group) and Advantage Corporation.

Laura Lake Preston, South Dakota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2007 07:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Tax-Club/New-York-New-York-10118/The-Tax-Club-Manhattan-Professional-Group-Advantage-Corporation-Very-poor-at-returning-c-240014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Tax Club

The Tax Club, Advantage Corporation Services, partial refund received

AUTHOR: Laura - (U.S.A.)

Shortly after filing our initial report concerning The Tax Club and Advantage Corporation Services, we received a phone call from Jason Baum of The Tax Club. Jason asked questions and listened to our concern/complaints and was able to offer a partial refund to us on behalf of The Tax Club.
Jason also said that he would visit with Advantage Corp. and was also able to make an agreement for a partial refund from them.
We have received both of these refunds at this time.
According to Jason, both companies are now contacting their customers periodically to find out what they are doing right and what needs to be done differently. Even though we would probably not go back to using the services of either company, we feel that if they follow through with the improvements they are trying to implement, they will be fine to work with.
Jason has asked me to tell all you folks that if you have any concerns/comlaints with The Tax Club or Advantage Corporation Services you should feel free to contact him via email at
jbaum@thetaxclub.com.