Complaint Review: The University of Phoenix on line

• Updated: Tue, September 21, 2010

• Reported By: Dahn — Columbus Ohio United States of America
The University of Phoenix on line
p.o. box 29887 phoenix, AZ 80538-9887 phoenix, Arizona United States of America

The University of Phoenix on line The online college that doesn't complete student aid forms before allowing students to start class phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Need Help asap

*UPDATE Employee: FinAid processing

*Consumer Comment: Jeanski

*General Comment: Research Assistance

*Consumer Comment: A little info...

My daughter was attending Phoenix University Online from Feburary 08, 2010 to the end of March. They allowed her to start classes before they processed her financial aid. Her Financial aid counselor, Olga Cabral, requested my tax information upon other papers.

I sent everything she requested four or five times in a row to make sure she got them. There have been many different items she has asked for that she had already recieved. She has also called my daughter threatening to send her to debt collections upon recieving the information she needed, she told my daughter she wouldn't send her to debt collections if she had these papers in by the next day.

My daughter did send the papers by the next day and even then after Olga said she would not send her to debt collections, she told my daughter that since she was going to transfer there was no need to check the information she(my daughter) sent in and that she(olga) was still going to send her to debt collections and (my daughter) would have to learn how to make payments.

My daughter had enough financial aid to pay for the two classes she took, Olga wont allow her to use her financial aid to cover them and has constantly treated my daughter in an unfair-unprofessional manner. The financial aid personnel at the college my daughter is trying to attend have also had trouble with trying to get ahold of this counselor as well as recovering all of my daughters personal information so she can transfer. My daughter has signed two release papers so that her new school would be able to access my daughters information. Olga has withheld all of her information and will not release them to anyone. She has also treated the financial staff at the other college with disrespect and faiiled to comply.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/22/2010 01:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-University-of-Phoenix-on-line/phoenix-Arizona-80538-9887/The-University-of-Phoenix-on-line-The-online-college-that-doesnt-complete-student-aid-fo-616188. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The University of Phoenix on line

Need Help asap

AUTHOR: JennRS - (United States of America)

I am actually currently a student at UoP and halfway through my 2nd block of classes there. My plan is to withdraw after this block due to the information I have learned about them in recent weeks.

I have chosen another school to start attending. ( a non-profit school). My dilemma is that I'm not sure how to go about it and not have a huge out of pocket expense to UoP.

They have your classes set up that no matter what, you get screwed. If I leave while in this block, my financial aid goes back and I have to pay. If I stay and leave the day after this block ends, they will more than likely drop me into a trap of paying for the next block that is starting. What do I do??

I am trying my hardest to keep them "in the dark" as I have learned from other reports that once they get tipped off about your plans to leave, that's when the mysterious fees, and charges start showing up.

I would like to run today, but also want to fullfill the 12 credit requirement that financial aid requires.

I am starting to flip out. We are a 1 income household with 3 toddlers and can not afford to go through the claims I see other have made. My deadline is 10/24/10. I'm afraid that UoP will take my 2nd disbursement of Finaid and delay my chances to start at the new school I have chosen, not to mention, stalk my husband and I for money we don't have. Any help is appreciated. I hope someone can offer some advice.

FinAid processing

AUTHOR: nv_advocate - (United States of America)

Right off the bat, I'll disclose that I currently work for UOPX as an enrollment counselor. Next, let me tell you I'm on trying to find a new employer in higher education because the public or non-profit university model is more closely aligned with my own goals and values, as opposed to the for-profit model. While I'm still at UOPX, I work hard to do everything in the best interest of the student, even if that means encouraging him/her to attend elsewhere (which I just did today =]).
I actually had the displeasure of working with Olga. If I'm not mistaken, she's no longer with the organization. Many people, external and internal, were relieved at this news. Her role was a Finance Intake Specialist (FIS). In other words, she processed financial aid paperwork on students' files.
If she had asked for your tax records, it sounds like your daughter (and you, if she was dependent at the time) were selected for federal financial aid verification. Note this is a federal process. It would have been required no matter where your daughter attended in that academic year. Verification primarily serves to make sure schools' students are reporting FAFSA information in alignment with IRS information.
In any case, verification must be completed before a school can certify a student for funds (grants, loans, or a combination thereof). Most of the time, a student's file is tagged for verification after she is registered, meaning she has already been admitted, the school has received the financial aid green light from Federal Dept of Ed, and a schedule has been built. Normally, verification must be completed by the end of the 2nd credit-bearing course. If for some reason the student (and parent, in your case) hasn't completed verification, the student cannot take more classes on federal aid until it's done.
So, the collections thing... if financial aid could not be certified, your daughter was required to find another way to pay for the tuition she incurred. Honestly one of the things I disagree with is letting students get beyond 1 course with incomplete verification, and this is something my particular colleagues and I enforce. However, communication and instructions about verification from the processing department (AFS), the "Olga" (FIS), and the student's Finance Counselor usually commence as soon as the student is selected. To be fair, your daughter probably knew in the first course that she needed to comply. In two years helping hundreds of students, I have never seen a student initially notified of verification in the second course.
I regret you and your daughter had such a sour experience. And while Olga wasn't a particularly pleasant person, she was initially following Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) standards by not releasing your daughter's and your data to an undesignated 3rd party. However, the release papers you mention should have cleared it up.
Where are you at in the process now? At your daughter's new school you should have simply been able to complete verification through their financial aid department, right?
I wish you the best, and please leave a comment if I can be of any further assistance.

AUTHOR: J - (United States of America)

You really need something to do, I have read alot of people reports and read your comments.

Do you work for them or something or do you have no life. Stay off ripoff report so much and get out the house and enjoy life .

This is my first time on this site and you been commenting for far too long.

I think you are a UOP advocate and just don't want to say anything.

There is nothing you want to be educated people who think you know everything because you worked for schools in the past can say to make this school be a better school.

The school is awful and it sickens my stomach to know that they are still open to rip people off.

#4 General Comment

Research Assistance

AUTHOR: Ecooper - (USA)

We are researching this company, would you please contact us at:

ecooper (at) nyms.net

A little info...

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Just to help this OP understand the issue a little better, let me explain how this works. Colleges are not obligated to complete the financial aid paperwork before allowing students to begin classes. However, the student is always responsible for any fees incurred (tuition). If financial aid falls through for some reason, the student is still responsible. As long as the school shows a balance due, they will not release any academic or financial aid transcripts to another school.  However, the f/a counselor has no excuse for not processing the paperwork your daughter submitted so that grants and loans could be applied to the outstanding balance due.

I would contact the Provost at U of P and complain.  Better yet, send it in writing, and cc the accreditation body (North Central, I believe). That will get their attention.