Complaint Review: The Vacation Place

• Submitted: Wed, August 24, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, September 03, 2011

• Reported By: NoVacation — Southeast US Nationwide United States of America
The Vacation Place
3608 Highway 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 Henderson, Nevada United States of America

The Vacation Place The Vacation Place Online No Real Deals Here-Paid for nothing more than a travel agent Henderson, Nevada

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like

*Author of original report: Retraction to The Vacation Place posting

*Consumer Comment: It couldn't hurt

*Author of original report: The Vacation Place/World Vacation Brokers

Unfortunately, this is the first time in my life I have been scammed.

Received a postcard in the mail for a travel company "promising" discounts of up to 20% on cruises, hotels, resorts, tours, etc.  This is not a timeshare.  So, booked an "appointment" with them to sit thru the presentation.

Of course, the presentation sounded great - it wasn't a timeshare, the prices they indicated were great deals - or so it seemed.  After the presentation, our "sales rep" sat down to discuss joining the club.  Of course, the price was WAY too high.  She discounted the joining fee quite dramatically.  That should have been a major red flag, but I chose to let it go.  After all, who doesn't like to travel and go on vacation?  In addition, if you automatlically charge the yearly membership fee, you get a discount of $40 per year.

The credit card was swiped.  Our logon information (since this is primarily web-based), would be mailed to us in 5 days.  Hmm....turned out to be 9.

While there, I asked specific questions about the discounts for certain tour companies and certain cruise lines and was told "yes, we discount those at least 10% since we are a wholesaler and therefore you don't have to pay all of the commissions".  When asked if she could check the prices on some tours I was interested in, she said "I can't right now".  (Another major red flag I ignored).

So, in their 3 day right to cancel, we couldn't check on pricing.  We were stuck.

Our sales rep even gave her phone number and said to call her if we had any questions.

Now that I've looked at the prices, just about everything I can find online just as cheap or cheaper on my own, without having to pay for a travel membership club.  However, they are slick in that if you want to rent a timeshare for a week, then yes, there are discounts.  But cruises, tours, decent hotels, no discount at all.  If, on their website you attempt to search for something, the search fails every time with an error of "prices change so quickly, please attempt your search again"

I tried calling our sales rep, but it seems to be that her phone "must be out of order" as all I get is a fast busy signal each time I try.  For all I know, she used a fake name as well.

The sales rep blatently lied to us about the discounts for the tour companies and cruise lines we use, and we fell for it-lock, stock and barrel.

So, the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" definitely applies in this case.

For anyone thinking about purchasing anything from The Vacation Place/World Vacation Brokers/TheVacationPlaceOnline - please, please, please, don't throw your money away like I did.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/24/2011 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Vacation-Place/Henderson-Nevada-89074/The-Vacation-Place-The-Vacation-Place-Online-No-Real-Deals-Here-Paid-for-nothing-more-than-769044. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Vacation Place

Sounds like

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

-"I  tried calling our sales rep, but it seems to be that her phone "must be out of order" as all I get is a fast busy signal each time I try.  For all I know, she used a fake name as well.  I called their "headquarters" and left voice messages - no return calls.  Why does that not surprise me now."  Their "customer service" is lacking.

Retraction to The Vacation Place posting

AUTHOR: NoVacation - (USA)

Spoke to one of the partners in the company today.  Everything has been resolved to our satisfaction.  After the conversation, it appears that we over reacted and there was a misunderstanding.  The Vacation Place does offer discounted pricing via their membership club.  They have been very understanding to work with.

Recommend taking a look at the program.  You can save hundreds on vacations.  We look forward to vacationing in the future.

It couldn't hurt

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

to try and dispute the charges with the card company.

Good Luck!

The Vacation Place/World Vacation Brokers

AUTHOR: NoVacation - (USA)

Have spoken with the company and they have assured us that our concerns will be addressed.  Potentially this is a misunderstanding and we will give the company a chance to rectify the situation.

We trust that this will be resolved in the next couple days.

Will update again (hopefully) early next week.