Complaint Review: Therma-Tru Doors

• Submitted: Fri, September 10, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, November 29, 2008

• Reported By:Palmerton Pennsylvania
Therma-Tru Doors
P.O. Box 8780, Maumee, Ohio 43537 Maumee, Ohio U.S.A.

Therma-Tru Doors, Distributor Harvey Industries, Sue McLaughlin, Al Suzi, Gary Fritz, Dave Rutherford, John Dupre Of Lehigh Conservatories misrepresentation of product, false advertising, consumer fraud, failure to back warranty. Rip-off! Maumee Ohio

*UPDATE Employee: Warranty covers leaks

I bought the Therma-Tru fiberglass entry-door system in March 2004 through a local contractor hyping Therma-Tru at an Allentown trade show. The contractor (John Dupre of Lehigh Conservatories) has a relationship with Harvey Industries, the regional Therma-Tru wholesaler, and he bought the doors from Harvey. Before I signed the contract with Mr. Dupre, he came to my house, inspected my exisiting front doors, and saw first hand what my problems were with respect to climate exposure and weather. He promised me specifically that the new Therma-Tru doors would be unconditionally weather tight and keep rain from entering my house.

The doors, which Therma-Tru claims are warranted for life, were installed in April. During installation, a manufacturing defect was discovered in the "astragal"; it had been cut too short at the factory and had to be replaced. It took 5 months of aggravation and threats before a new astragal was finally installed. I called Therma-Tru directly no less than 12 times during this period and could never speak to anyone in authority. When the new astragal arrived, it wasn't even the same size as the original, and the doors had to be shaved to accomodate the new astragal. The contractor, Mr. Dupre, botched that part and I had to remove the astragal the next day and re-do his work just to close the doors.

We had our first good driving rainstorm last week since the doors were installed, and water seeped into the house from between the doors' sill and kerfed door bottom.

Gary Fritz, of Therma-Tru, now informs me that Therma-Tru does not warrant the prevention of rain water from under their doors. In spite of what Therma-Tru's own literature claims, despite the contractor's unconditional guarantee, and to the surprise and dismay of Harvey Industries itself... the Therma-Tru representative I spoke to yesterday said it's not Therma-Tru's problem and they will not stand by their warranty. Mr. Fritz suggested I should just bag the $3,700 project, build a portico over my front door area and then buy a different type of door system.

Gary Fritz' boss at Therma-Tru, Al Suzi, won't return my phone calls. Harvey Industries, the Therma-Tru whoesaler, is washing their hands of the problem. John Dupre, the contractor who buys his doors from Harvey Industries, won't return calls.

Ernie
Palmerton, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2004 09:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Therma-Tru-Doors/Maumee-Ohio-43537/Therma-Tru-Doors-Distributor-Harvey-Industries-Sue-McLaughlin-Al-Suzi-Gary-Fritz-Dave-107789. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Therma-Tru Doors

AUTHOR: Winder - (U.S.A.)

Therma-Tru warranty absolutely covers any leakage under our door systems, slabs, jambs (as long as they are finished by the buyer immediately as stated on warranty), glass, and all seal failure. If the leaking was not taken care of by the manufacture, which I am an employee of, then there are only two reasons the denial was valid: 1) the contractor cut, modified, or did did not install the unit properly, thereby voiding the warranty and denying coverage due to installation error, or 2) the damage or mis-cutting of the astrigal was not reported for several months, as the unfinished jambs (and/or unit) sat in an uncontrolled environment for several weeks, allowing for warpage, therby not fitting in the rough opening correctly.
I have worked for several disreuptable companies in my lifetime, and I can assure all consumers that Therma-Tru is not one of them. We stand by our products, and if for any reason a door or unit comes out of the factory damaged or defective, it is always replaced or fixed. Furthermore, I can state positively that we even pay out or replace on several occasions on a monthly basis, units and doors that probably should not be, but we always give the consumer the benefit of the doubt.
I am truly sorry you had this experience, and I would re-visit this claim if I were you. I would go back, check all install issues, fill out another at home warranty claim form, and start again. As long as you are the original purchaser of this unit (hence, 'limited lifetime warranty'- you must be the original owner of the door or system), I would re-file the claim with a letter.
Good luck, and again, as an employee of Therma-Tru, I am sincerely sorry for your inconvenience and troubles.