Complaint Review: ThredUp

• Updated: Fri, December 28, 2012

• Reported By: XtremeQpon.com — Coppell Texas United States of America
ThredUp

ThredUp SCAM - Do not send your items to this company! Internet

SCAM - When I first came across ThredUp I was super excited!  Being a frugal momma, I love finding a great deal and saving every penny I can.  I spend my weekends at the garage sales and my week days clipping coupons and searching the sale papers. There is a childrens resell shop near me that I frequently visit.  They have a great selection and they buy gently used childrens clothes to resell.  I can take my clothes in, drop them off, and come back an hour or two later and they will give me an offer with a full write up including each item.  Basically the same concept as ThredUp, but I am a sucker for online shopping so was ready to give ThredUp a try.I got all of my boys clothes and my nieces clothes that they had grown out of together when I had a garage sale.  I went through and took out all the super nice items before hand.  I laundered them, took each piece outside in the natural light to be sure there were no stains. I then took them to my local store and asked for a quote.  I was quoted $41 on the lot.  I then folded and somehow got all 25 pieces in the bag.

I mailed by bag and it arrived to ThredUp on December 19th.  On December 27th I got en email saying my bag had been processed and to come see what I had earned!  I was so excited because I wanted to use this money to buy my youngest son some winter clothes.  I was devistated when I saw they only accepted 8 items and paid $10.45.

The weird part about it is this is not the super nice stuff.  The Gap and Adidas Jackets and OshKosh 3 in 1 winter coats, the Gap, Old Navy and Levis Jeans..Gap button downs.somehow did not make it on this list.  Most of the items listed above are actually the items I wasnt sure if they would accept.  I sent in 25 name brand, like new items of clothing, and they accepted 8. Then I got to thinking about it.  Its almost like they go through the bags and pick out the nice stuff for their own kids, then pay you on what is left.  Who knows, it could be one employee who does this, or a company wide issue.  Either way, when I emailed support about the issue, I got a general automated response.  Basically, too bad, your unsellable items are  being recycled.

I wouldnt be surprised if one of the owners had a store front and put all the super nice items there.  Would be interesting to look into.  So when it comes to ThredUp, I would suggest staying away!  I had no issue with the one shirt I bought from them, but I would NOT send your childs outgrown clothes in.  I would suggest finding a local store to take them to, or even have a garage sale!  Youll be better off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2012 08:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ThredUp/internet/ThredUp-SCAM-Do-not-send-your-items-to-this-company-Internet-988032. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ThredUp