Complaint Review: Thrifty Car Rental

• Submitted: Sat, November 15, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, December 11, 2008

• Reported By:ELMWOOD PARK Illinois
Thrifty Car Rental
7135 Gilespie Street LAS Vegas, Nevada U.S.A.

Thrifty Car Rental Unknown to me the attendant debited $350.00 from my MC instead of $234.51 THEN said the card is not activated THEN debited/froze $350.00 from a second credit card LAS Vegas Nevada

*Author of original report: Thrifty Car Rental

*Author of original report: HSBC+Thrifty negioated a credit/debit transaction without my knowledge.

I (we) arrived at McCarran Airport about 12.30 am on 11/07/08 and agreed to add a driver to my reserved iternary for the total sum of $234.51 as documented. The attendant swiped my credit card and announced "this card is not activated, give me another credit card', So I did. It was late and my being AA frequent flyer accepted AA's promotion with Thrifty as honest.

The following day I called HSBC bank for inquiry and discovered: Unknown to me INSTEAD of $234.51 That $350.00 was immediately debited/collected by the Thrifty attendant WHO LIED collected the money, stating the card was not activated, documented my card inactive on the computer, then used my second credit card and froze $350.00 on a second card! He collected $115.49 overcharge+ froze $350.00 without explanation/my knowledge/consent. Also, I refused the GPS. insurance/any other offers.

On 11/07.08 I spent about $5.00 on my cell phone (as documented) calling Thrifty for explanation for the difference in prices, or credit without results. My friend and I drove to Thrifty's terminal at McCarran Airport where we rented the car and spoke to Thrifty's supervisor seeking my credit due.. Although I showed my bill and requested an explanation for the difference of $350.00 debited instead of $234.51 there is no explanation!!

The supervisor looked in the computer and said" when you return the car with a full tank of gas, you'll get your refund...KNOWING I AM OVERCHARGED! I replied that I had contacted my bank with explanation. Also, stating the fact that I will pay ONLY $234.51 as documented and evidenced by my roomate whom paid an additional $70.00 as included in the total bill. Thus, Thrifty, left me no options and I reported the second credit card as: being lost/stolen with unauthorized $350.00 from the second card. Also, an overcharge of $115.49.

On 11/13/08 I (we) returned the rental to Thrifty at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas with a full tank of gas as promised, with a bill documenting $234.51. Then asked Terry (Customer Service) for an explanation of the overcharge of $115.49 on the first credit card that the attendant said was not activated plus a frozen $350.00 on my second credit card...He looked at my customer copy....then in his computer...stating that" according to the first check in attendant the first credit card was not activated...therefore, the second credit card was frozen.

I explained that THE BANK TOLD ME THAT UNKNOWN TO ME the attendant had ALREADY TAKEN OUT $350.00US Then told me the first card was inactive, charged me additional $115.49 THEN used my second card and froze $350.00 without explanation, authorization....All thrifty will say is "we'll pay $350.00 frozen +$114.49. My bank first said "it is between the merchant and you". Then, we will honor the bill of $234.51. I am filing a complaint with The State Of Nevada's Attorney General, BBB+. Watch out for these guys especially late night travellers!

Annie
ELMWOOD PARK, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/15/2008 12:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Thrifty-Car-Rental/LAS-Vegas-Nevada-89119/Thrifty-Car-Rental-Unknown-to-me-the-attendant-debited-35000-from-my-MC-instead-of-234-391488. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental

AUTHOR: Annie - (U.S.A.)

As follow up on Thrifty...HSBC bank paid Thrifty Rental the sum of $234.51 as documented on Thrifty's final bill. Thank you.

HSBC+Thrifty negioated a credit/debit transaction without my knowledge.

AUTHOR: Annie - (U.S.A.)

My credit card statement shows that: Although HSBC Bank has accurate transaction with Thrifty Rental, HSBC debited $234.51 to my second credit card. Thus, adding this amount + interest to account...There was zero balance (paid off) on the first card. Also, HSBC CS verbalized that the $350.00 is now returned to the first card! (when I realized the attendant's dishonesty I reported the first card as being lost/stolen) as $700.00+$350.00 very well might have been lost! Consumers please: Take time to read/understand everything+call your credit card company at the Terminal/rental counter prior to signing. Yes, I did contact AA with explanation of the incompetency, unprofessional conduct of Thrifty! Perhaps HSBC will do the right thing by charging the first card..I'll pay it off fast!! Thank you all.