Complaint Review: Thrifty Car Rental

• Submitted: Fri, September 21, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, September 22, 2012

• Reported By: Cynthia G. — Mountlake Terrace Washington United States of America
Thrifty Car Rental
Airport Boulevard, Orlando, Florida United States of America

Thrifty Car Rental Deceptive and unethical Orlando, Florida

*Author of original report: Stupid perhaps

*Consumer Comment: Poor Babies!

My partner made reservations for a car rental to pick up at Orlando Airport.  Estimate given was about $150, and because we trying to be frugal, we went with them.  When we arrived to pick up the vehicle, the extremely unfriendlt service rep immediately began pressing us to upgrade.  We agreed to a size upgrade because she implied our luggage would not fit (untrue) and told us the upgrade would be free of charge (untrue).

We agreed to toll charge and extra driver charge.  Fine print contract included many charges we would not have agreed to if each had been explained (i.e., funeral insurance!).  The contract she presented was $470.  When we balked at the discrepancy, she told us "Estimates are just estimates -- they do not guarantee anything."  We decided to sign the contract because of the large line behind us and because I needed to escape the heat & humidity before I passed out.

When we sat down with our bifocals later and examined the contract we were appalled.  My partner called Customer Service later and our complaint was flatly dismissed because I had signed the contract (I maintain I signed it under considerable duress).  I have never in sixty years experienced such unethical behavior from a company.  The icing on the cake here is that everyone we've spoken to connected to Thrifty has been rude.  What can we do besides warn others of our horrible experience?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2012 04:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Thrifty-Car-Rental/Orlando-Florida-/Thrifty-Car-Rental-Deceptive-and-unethical-Orlando-Florida-944882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Thrifty Car Rental

Stupid perhaps

AUTHOR: Cynthia G. - (United States of America)

Yes, we should have read the contract carefully before signing it.  I'm not saying Thrifty acted illegally.  However, their attempts to upgrade customers by using deception and sleight of hand are extremely unethical, and horrible public relations.  I'm telling customers to read Thrifty's contracts with a fine tooth comb, to expect them to try to scam you, and perhaps avoid dealing with them altogether.  So I've learned a hard, cynical lesson and Thrifty has lost two potential customers.  Who is the more "stupid?"

Poor Babies!

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

Here's another one for the books.

You go in there and sign a contract WITHOUT READING IT...then you come here to cry, wail, jump up and down because the contract contains charges you don't want!  Then you blame them!  Oh poor babies.

Perhaps you and your "partner" should put on the bifocals to read a book about COMMON SENSE.  The first line says:  "Never, ever sign anything WITHOUT reading what you are obligating yourself to!"

Talk about stupid.