Complaint Review: Time Warner Cable

• Submitted: Mon, October 30, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, December 24, 2007

• Reported By:columbia South Carolina
Time Warner Cable
1030 Harden St Columbia, South Carolina U.S.A.
  • Phone: 803-252-2253
  • Web:
  • Category: Cable TV

Time Warner Cable dvr boxes keep going bad ripoff Columbia South Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: They may not be junk

*Consumer Suggestion: MADE IN CHINA!

*Consumer Suggestion: DVR

*Consumer Suggestion: Time Warner does have bad equipment

*Author of original report: Time warner cable dvr boxes keep going bad

*Consumer Comment: Why stay with them?

Time warner has the worst equipment we record programs we want to keep and then later they go bad and we lose all of my recordings they need to choose a new manufacture for the boxes and stop using scientific atlanta and use something like motorola.

I have been though about 30 boxes in the last 2 years. I am paying about 160.00 a month and they come and take the boxes again. Also they should not put the boxes in the cabinet at their time warner office because they will be going the one to me that the previous customer who brought it in.

If the company just didnt have the dish I would switch right now because I am paying too much money for poor service when it goes out all the time. Also I have digital phone and it has gone out about 20 or more times since I switched to digital phone and I have to wait about 2 days before I can get phone service back on. It didnt go out at all when I was with another company. They had to replace about 9 mondems in the last year. Save your money and go to some other company if you dont want to have these problems

Mark
columbia, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2006 06:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Time-Warner-Cable/Columbia-South-Carolina-29205/Time-Warner-Cable-dvr-boxes-keep-going-bad-ripoff-Columbia-South-Carolina-218373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Time Warner Cable

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

They may not be junk

AUTHOR: Alan - (U.S.A.)

DVR boxes have a hard drive in them just like a computer does, hard drives fail when running 24 hours a day after 3 to 5 years, most of the boxes are now geting that old. We have lost 3 in the last 2 years at our house. The best thing you can do is keep them cool.. the hotter they run the sooner they fail. Make sure nothing is stacked on the box, and vacume the dust out of the vents every couple of mo.

most computers do not last as well as these boxes

#2 Consumer Suggestion

MADE IN CHINA!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Those 3 words sum up your problem.

MADE IN CHINA.

Although I do think that your problems do have more to do with your intallation and wiring, the boxes are junk.

And, to the other contributor who stated its not easy to get 3 boxes with DVR from Satellite. WRONG. Just as easy, if not easier than with cable. 5 bucks extra per month per reg box just like cable and like 11.95 per mo for DVR. Just like cable.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

DVR

AUTHOR: Twcableguyinsc - (U.S.A.)

I have Time Warner in Columbia and have also been using the same Converter and DVR, Wireless modem and Digital phone modem for the past 3 years. My service never goes down. All my programming that I record is always there and I never have any problems. Now that is not to say that there are never any problems.. I have a friend that works for TWC and he states what he finds on most service calls is poor wiring in the customers house that the customer is not willing to pay to have replaced. Could this be the problem in your house?? I just find it odd that my service works so well nd your is so shotty. Cable is Cable right??

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Time Warner does have bad equipment

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

We have DVR's in 3 rooms (which you can't do easily with satellite services) and each DVR had TONS of problems with Time Warner. Their service is SOOO very bad. We ended up getting credited for EACH day we were without working DVR service until a service person could come out. We ended up in 6 months with over $200 in credits.

It was just the case they were in the wrong and we were in the right. They switched out 15 boxes and finally a service tech came out and said the wires coming into the house were loose and replaced ALL OF THEM, guess what, no problem since then. Took us 6 months and probably about 30 hours worth of calling, but we got it right in the end.

The second another cable company comes into Charlotte, NC... we are off Time Warner. I had ---- in Richmond, VA, and it was such a great experience with them. Better products, better services and better rates. Wish they were here.

Current TWC customer,
Angela

Time warner cable dvr boxes keep going bad

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Time warner Has the worst equipment. when I record programs I want to keep them since it is easy to watch them and before I have a change to watch them the box goes bad and I loose all of my recordings. they need to thoose a differant manufacture like motorola and stop using scientific atlanta.

I have been through 30 boxes in the last 2 years I am paying $160.00 a month abd they come and take to boxes again. also when you go to the time warner office they shouldnt put the boxes in their cabnet because they will just had you the one the last customer brought in. if bellsouth didnt have the dish I would switch right now because am paying too much for poor service and it goes out all the time.

I have digital phone and it has gone out about 20 or more times since I switched to digital phone and I have to wait about 2 days untill I can get it back on. it didnt go out like that at all when the phone service was with bellsouth. they just offered a better deal at the time for local and long distance phone calls. they had replaced about 9 monems in the last year. Save your money and go to some other company if you want to avoid these problems.

Why stay with them?

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

You have had all these problems in the last 2 years and you have STAYED with them, why? The satellite companies have DVRs now.

Then you say you never had a problem with phone service before switching to TW, so why DID you switch? And why havent you switched back??!!