Complaint Review: Time Warner

• Updated: Sat, October 26, 2013

• Reported By: james — Chapel Hill North Carolina
Time Warner
103 Chippoaks Drive Chapel Hill, North Carolina USA

Time Warner Time Warner Cable (or TWC), Roadrunner Turbo is a ripoff Chapel Hill North Carolina

I have Time Warner Roadrunner as my internet service.  Back to this January (2013) I was told by a Time Warner representative to buy their "turbo" internet package to boost my internet speed, and I agreed to do so.  However, I then found there is no difference with the "turbo" package or without in download or upload speed.  Note that I used Speedtest.com to check the speed.  I then called back within a day to cancel the "turbo" package.

Time Warner used to mail the bill including the detail charges to their customer, but stopped doing so.  I had trouble to log on my account at Time Warner for some time.  Eventually I had to spend quite some time on phone (every time you call them you spend a lot of time waiting and forcing to listen their annoying ads) to resolve the problem couple months ago.  I am having other issue (phons) with Time Warner currently, and decided to find out my detail billing this morning.  To my surprise,

1. the charge of Turbo package ($5.93) is there

2. the rental charge for modern increased from $3.95 to $5.99 (I have no idea when this happened)

I called Time Warner to cancel the Turbo package, and was told that I can cancel it with about $20 increasing to my final bill each month!  What!

I was told I am "enjoying" a special deal since I am having the "turbo".  If I remove the "turbo", they can no longer provide me this "special" deal, therefore, I will pay more!  I am speechless!

I requested to talk to someone with more authority than this person.  He put me on hold for 20 some minutes and the phone was cut off.

One more thing. I checked another entry complaining about Time Warner's internet turbo deal.  Here is the link -

In a response from someone in Time Warner indicated that you should have a modem with Docsis 3 to take advantage of this "turbo" package.  I found that Time Warner provides me a Netgear CGD24G which has only Docsis 2.  Assuming the "turbo" package does provide extra speed, but how can I take advantage of this featuer with a device, from Time Warner, which cannot handle this feature!  (And I have paid this for 10 months although I requested to cancel it from the beginning.)

I am trying to figure out how I can have myself to be heard. Any help?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/26/2013 11:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Time-Warner/Chapel-Hill-North-Carolina-27514/Time-Warner-Time-Warner-Cable-or-TWC-Roadrunner-Turbo-is-a-ripoff-Chapel-Hill-North-C-1094775. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Time Warner