Complaint Review: Tires Plus Total Car Care

• Submitted: Fri, January 23, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, January 18, 2007

• Reported By:Maple Lake Minnesota
Tires Plus Total Car Care
13562 80th Circle N Maple Grove, Minnesota U.S.A.

Tires Plus Total Car Care ripoff scheme, misaligned wheels Maple Grove Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: There is a difference

*Consumer Comment: Bill in minnesota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: tires plus Alignments

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Normal Vehicle Maintenance

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: so hard for people to assume liability for their own actions

*UPDATE Employee: Do you know what you are reading?

Tires plus misaligned my wheels so badly that one of the tires wore out early, and then they wouldn't pay for it.

I didn't find out about the misalignment until after I had the tire replaced and had it aligned again. Then I looked at the printout(Vehicle Alignment Report) and saw that some of the "final" figures(_after_the alignment) were outside the specifications. Unfortunately, by this time I was home, and I made plans to go in and have the "error" corrected.

I had gotten 4 new tires and an alignment at the same place about 3 years earlier, so I looked at the printout of that one. I was shocked to find that the same tire(left front)had been misaligned, and this time the "after" figures were MORE out of spec than the "before" figures. The left front was the tire that wore out early, and now I know why. That poorly done alignment caused the tire to wear out prematurely, and now they did the same thing again.

I wish I had looked at my printout after I had the alignment done 3 years ago. I would advise anyone who has had an alignment done at Tires Plus (or anywhere else) to READ your Alignment Report. They usually give it to you along with your tire warranty, which you should save as long as you have the tires. The "final", or "after", figure should be within the specifications for each tire. If they are not, you will probably find that that tire is wearing out faster than the others (if it has been a while since the alignment).

Most people probably don't even look at those figures, and if they do, it is soon after the alignment is done, and no tire wear is evident.

When I asked for a refund on that worthless alignment and the tire it caused to wear out prematurely, they wanted me to bring the car in and have them check it. I wouldn't trust those people around my car or anything else.

I have no way of knowing how widespread this problem is. Maybe it is confined to that one store. Maybe it is company-wide, or industry-wide.

Bill
Maple Lake, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2004 01:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tires-Plus-Total-Car-Care/Maple-Grove-Minnesota-55369/Tires-Plus-Total-Car-Care-ripoff-scheme-misaligned-wheels-Maple-Grove-Minnesota-77934. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tires Plus Total Car Care

There is a difference

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Bill's story hasn't changed 5 times, and included things like the parts are fine, so I had them replaced.

It also doesn't include whacky tales of running people over, and basing a lawsuit on ZERO damages.

One last thing. Alignments NEVER go out of spec. The parts that the alignment is based on do. If nothing wears out, or is damaged in any way, the factory alignment will be perfect forever. Alignments only go out of spec because parts do wear out. These include steering linkages, suspension pieces, and the frame itself. Repair whatever caused the alignment to be out, and then adjust the settings for the new part(s).

Checking an alignment is worthless, and is meant to take money from the customer. All that is needed is look at the tires themselves, check for play in the linkages, look for frame damage, and measure ride height. If these all check out fine, you need nothing done. Glenn would go ahead and replace everything though, simply because the parts ARE good.

Checking all of this can be done on any 2 post lift, or a floor jack. It also doesn't make $60-$90 for the tire shop.

Bill in minnesota

AUTHOR: Glenn - (U.S.A.)

Check out my story in savage mn. Tiresplus We are takin them to court your story is almost the same. Any comments against you are watchdogs and are meant to pis you off.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

tires plus Alignments

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Many of the tires plus stores do not staff properly trained technicians majority of there alignment techs or installers as there called have one day of alignment training that is more of a sales pitch than anything. They do not offer any real from of training to there techs all the class they offer are usually held by the parts warehouses and are mainly sale pitches.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Normal Vehicle Maintenance

AUTHOR: Jimi - (U.S.A.)

Tires should be rotated every 6,000 miles. Alignment should be checked and performed if needed every 6 months. If this guy would have just performed normal maintenance on his vehicle the same tire would not have been in the same position for 3 years, and if he had had his alignment checked every 6 months, any misalignment would have been discovered early. This claim is far fetched and this consumer has lacked any common sense on normal vehicle maintenence and created his own problem. Just like any product made today, it will not last if you do not maintain it.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

Todays society why is it so hard for people to assume liability for their own actions or lack of maintance.I have an idea, Lets all go to court and try to get rich ....... oh wait we do that now.

The industry suggests we have our alignment "checked" every 6 months or 6,ooo miles.I guess "YOUR" car is different. I guess "YOUR" car is special. Do you change your oil and figure the car doesn't require anything else. Does that clean oil give you a warm fuzzy feeling? Lets step back and start at the begining.Open and rear your owners manual.Look in your glove box you can't miss it

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

Do you know what you are reading?

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Just a quick comment, from someone that knows about alignments! First of all, WHAT angles were out of spec? And, also, What type of a car do you drive? Most of the front wheel drive cars built in the last 10 years do not have caster and camber adjustments provided by the manufacturer. Also, some angles, specifically the CASTER, will NOT and CANNOT cause tire wear, in any case! If the angles were not adjustable, it is very possible that, 3 years later down the road, they may be farther out then they were when the alignment was originally done. Things that can make these angles change, are weak springs, slightly worn suspension components, etc. I strongly suggest that you check your facts, before slandering a company, and saying that there is a "ripoff scheme". Perhaps your own lack of general knowledge in this field might be the actual problem..?

Also, your alignment should be checked just a little more often than every 3 years....