Complaint Review: Tires Plus

• Submitted: Thu, May 08, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, October 08, 2008

• Reported By:Hampton Georgia
Tires Plus
3501 Highway 138 Se Stockbridge, Georgia U.S.A.

Tires Plus Stockbridge Georgia Rack & Pinion Stockbridge Georgia

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: The TRUTH OF THE MATTER

I am not satisfied with the services rendered on my 2004 Chevy Malibu. I initially brought the vehicle to be serviced after discovering a problem with my Rack & Pinion which was diagnosed by the Chevy dealership. This issue affected the alignment of my car which led to wear and tear of my tires. Before I was able to get new tires, I needed to fix the Rack & Pinion and get the alignment. I chose Tries Plus given that I have been there before and seemed to have no problems.

The initial date I took my vehicle to get serviced was August 25, 2007. Chuck, the service advisor, agreed with the diagnosis given by the Chevrolet dealership that Rack & Pinion needed to be replaced. Calvin, a former employee of Tires Plus did the repairs. The issue seemed to have been solved, however shortly after I realized that it had not been. The vehicle continued to make the same noise it was making previously. There is a knocking noise in the steering column when turning the wheel and vibration in the car when braking at speeds of 60mph or higher. I returned the vehicle to Tires Plus on October 5, 2007.

At this time the vehicle was reevaluated and diagnosed, by a technician and the store manager. It was decided by Frank, the service advisor, that the work was not properly done the first time and at this point needed to be done again. Frank advised that the part simply malfunctioned where upon Calvin, the same technician that initially did the repairs, supposedly fixed the problem again. Although I considered this to be an odd coincidence, I assumed that these things happen and I allowed them to work on the car once more.

Three months later, to my dismay, the vehicle started making the same knocking noise and vibrations when braking. Once again, I returned to Tires Plus on February 21, 2008. I then spoke to service advisor, Pankaj, also known as PJ, explaining the history of the work done to the vehicle prior to. The car was test driven by the technician, Richard Stanley. Upon his arrival back to the store, he acknowledged having experienced the same problems with the knocking noise and vibrations when braking.

While we were speaking about the problem with the car he tried to reassure me by telling me that Calvin was no longer working at the shop. It seemed like he was trying to insinuate that Calvin was not one of the best mechanics. Having brought my vehicle to the shop now three times, I began to get frustrated and no longer trusted Tires Plus to work on my car. I told Pankaj that I did not want any work to be done to the car however I did want them to confirm that the work was not done correctly. At this point, my car was put on the rack to be assessed.

After this Pankaj and Richard test drove the car together once more. When they came back the car was no longer making the noise. I can only assume that they manipulated the car to stop making the noise because two days after, not to my surprise, the car started making the knocking sound and vibrating when braking. I then took my car to Discount Tires for routine balance and rotation where they discovered irregular wear and tear on my front and back tires, caused by the Rack & Pinion and poor alignment.

Vasco998
Hampton, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/08/2008 10:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tires-Plus/Stockbridge-Georgia-30281/Tires-Plus-Stockbridge-Georgia-Rack-Pinion-Stockbridge-Georgia-331347. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tires Plus

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

The TRUTH OF THE MATTER

AUTHOR: Csmith25 - (U.S.A.)

First off i wanted to get the record straight on this compliant. The customer came in with the noise in the steering wheel. I diag the concern for knocking in the steering after the chevy dealer had already told the customer the same thing.

The customer then wanted the car fixed so i ordered the part from the one of our local suppliers. It came in and i put the part on the vehicle. I road tested the vehicle and did the alignment on the vehicle to factory specs.

Then a few months later the vehicle came back for the same concerns i re - diag
the vehicle for the same concern. There was a problem with the after market rack.

So instead of me warranty the rack with the local supplier we ate the cost of the dealer rack and i installed the new rack.

One thing that the customer forgot to explain was that the vehicle has aftermarket wheel that are way bigger than the stock wheels. so if you align a vehicle with bigger wheels the specs are not the same because the alignment spec are for stock wheels and not aftermarket wheels like the customer had.

If the customer felt like in any that Tires Plus ripped them off and not the dealer then why didnt the customer ask the dealer to replace the rack under warranty it was a GM part and it comes with a warranty. We gave the customer all the warranty info on the rack for the customer to know that we replaced it with the part that the dealer and that we cared about there business.

And if the customer wanted to know if i was a good tech then they should have asked why did i leave. I wasnt fired i left because i got offered a better position with a different company. My technical back ground can speak for its self.

I would like to end this by saying if you thought that Tires PLus ripped you off or that i didnt do the work properly than what you should have did was research what was going on with your vehicle to chevy and then you would have found out
that there is a thing called TSB.

For those of you that dont know what TSB'S are they are called TECHINCAL SERVICE BULLETINS. Wow it seems that right after I replaced the rack for noise GM came out with one to replace the Intermediate Shaft and not the racks anymore.

And any of your local chevy dealers can tell now its a on going problem with them. So I am sorry if you were under educated about your vehicle. All I can say the next
I would research whats going on with my vehicle before I say I was ripped off.