Complaint Review: TitleMax

• Submitted: Fri, September 14, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, September 14, 2012

• Reported By: Some Angry Guy — Savannah Georgia United States of America
733 S Memorial Drive Prattville, Alabama United States of America

TitleMax TitleMax of Alabama Deceptive, aggressive and immoral business practices Prattville, Alabama

I, regrettably, took out a title loan (Title Pawn in the states of AL & GA), at this Prattville, AL store on 7/28/2012. I needed the loan to help finance my upcoming relocation to Georgia which took place on 8/3/2012. On 8/14/2012, I called TitleMax in Prattville and attempted to make a payment by phone using my debit card. I was told that payments could only be made in person and that I should have a "limited power of attorney" assembled and use it to authorize someone local to the store to make payments for me. Yeah, right!!! The following Monday, I contacted a store local to me here in Georgia to find out if I could make my payments there and was told no. Apparently, TitleMax has built-in business practices that are geared to much quicker repossession processes rather than receiving repayment of their loans.

Tonight, 9/13/2012, 30 days after I made the initial call to make my payment and only 15 days past due from my actual payment due date, my vehicle was repossessed. [continued below]....
..... I have not yet contacted them about what it will take to get it back. I'm sure there will be fees and charges tacked on to the original payment.

Now, I have personally read the Alabama Pawnshop Code Act and did not find anything about the patron needing to be there in-person to make payment. Nor does it say any such thing in the "pawn ticket" from TitleMax. I'm interested in seeing how TitleMax can demand that payments are made in person, if repossession after just 15 days is legal and what exorbitant fees they are allowed to tack on to the vehicle that I now have to go retrieve.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2012 12:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TitleMax/Prattville-Alabama-36067/TitleMax-TitleMax-of-Alabama-Deceptive-aggressive-and-immoral-business-practices-Prattvil-940972. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TitleMax