Complaint Review: Together Dating Of Edina

• Submitted: Mon, November 26, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, January 10, 2008

• Reported By:Mounds View Minnesota
Together Dating Of Edina
3300 Edinborough Way Edina, Minnesota U.S.A.

Together Dating Of Edina Misinformed and billing for serviced not rendered Edina Minnesota

*UPDATE Employee: Facts about this complaint

I went to this agency on 7-2-2007, to check out the dating service that they offer. During the interview I stated that I was unemployed and that I was not able to pay the outragous enrollement fee.

At this time I was offered a introductory package, at a greatly reduced rate. And that I had up to 6 months to pay for the sevices. I signed up at the trial price.
Later, after reading the so called contract, I noticed that I had the opportunity to cancel, so I called the Edina office to cancell with in the allotted time line. I was told that I had to do it in writing and mail it to the Edina office. So I did as they requested.

A month or two went by and I then started recieving bills for the service. When I called Together of Edina. I was told that I didn't meet the alloted time line. I tried to explain what had happened and they insist that I still owe them over $500.00 (the cost of the interview.(so as they say)

I have been harrassed by this Company ever since and I have also been harrassed by the billing company.
Now I am being harrassed by a collections agency for a service that I did not recieve.

Rick
Mounds View, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2007 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Together-Dating-Of-Edina/Edina-Minnesota-55435/Together-Dating-Of-Edina-Misinformed-and-billing-for-serviced-not-rendered-Edina-Minnesota-286776. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Together Dating Of Edina

AUTHOR: Joebobjingo - (U.S.A.)

I can empathize with Rick's story. I too was victim of a similar scam, by a similar company, just a few years ago. I was lured in initially with empty promises and hidden clauses in their contracts They start by negotiating a cost with you, which should be your first alarm. Next, if they are successful in getting you to concede to their services they have you sign several different documents, as if you're buying a car or house. Your second alarm.

The company that manipulated me into signing a contract, was Great Expectations, which by no coicidence, have their officed housed in the same exact building as a few other unreputable companies who share in similar practices. This is known as "Cleaner's Row". They are sales people first and foremost, and this company in particular just uses the guise of a dating service to promote their money-grubbing agenda.

These "wolves in sheep's clothing" start by warming and softening you up. They will compliment you to try and instill a confidence in both them, and yourself. They will tell you what they think you want to hear. They will immediately try and personalize the situation, saying that they know of all these people that would be perfect for you etc. They promise to have a vast array of active members, when in truth their database is comprised mostly of shell, inactive accounts.

Once they have you hooked, they will try and hose you for everything and anything that you have. They will require pictures for your membership, and conveniently they just happen to have a photographer on their staff who will take your pictures, BUT at an exorbant additional charge. They offer no alternative to this- you cannot start your membership without it they say.

As an active member if you wish to view other singles, you have to physically come into their shop, which is comprised of dirty old men, the down-and-out, and downtrodden dregs of society. Stereotypically, these are people who have "given up". If you are a healthy individual with a hint of self-esteem it will make you feel quite uncomfortable to go in there. However, they do hold an option if you would like to view their members from the comforts of your own home, but of course at another gouged rate!

Unfortunately, I was susceptible to these tactics at first because I have a lot of money, and I had been out of the dating loop for so long that I was both unpolished and blindly optimistic. They saddled me with a 3 year contract, with a high interest rate. I won't even tell you what I was indebted to them, because there's a decent chance that you wouldn't believe me. It's truly embarrasing.

What did I get out of their services though? Well, I actually met a few people over the course of my membership. I can define their dating pool within 3 categories: "The Gold Diggers" who have dollar signs on their forehead, obese women with zero self-esteem and even less personality, and then the inactive members that may, or may not have even existed in the first place.

Ok, so back to this particular situation that Rick described. I found myself here on this site because, you know those dating signs that you seen at intersections, and in neighorhoods? They say something to the effect of, whatever-city-you-are-in, singles? They also send flyer postcard junk mail out too. Well, I happened to be in Hopkins, and I saw one of their signs (again) so I decided to check it out. Something just never seemed right about their advertising tactics, so I went online and signed up.

It was very brief. More or less they just wanted personal information to contact me. Right away I knew this was a hoax. Sure enough, I was contacted by phone shortly there after. Because I was suspecting of them I screened my phonecalls. They have continued to call me everyday, and the kicker is that they won't even leave a message! If they were truly out to help people, and match up singles, the least they could do was conduct themselves in an unsuspecting way. When someone calls you repeatedly and doesn't leave a message you should have your red flag up. So, I took the number from my caller ID, Googled it, and here I am. I'm not surprised at all.

I can understand that it's hard meeting people in this day and age, when people are so busy, cautious of others, and so focused on themselves. It's hard to reach out to people, and go outside of your normal circle, and that's where dating services are a great niche. But instead of getting bamboozled and commiting long term to one of these sales agencies, my advice would be to check out the unnumbered amount of dating sites on the web. Most will offer you a FREE trial, and those that don't still only hold a nominal monthly fee, in which you can always elect to cancel with no longterm commitment, hassle, or harrassment.

Don't ever sign a contract just to meet people. You aren't buying anything tangible, except blind hopes, and these companies know that, and that's why no one has been able to call them on it. There is a no promise that you're gonna meet the love of your life, or even have fun dates. You are buying a promise, which will always come back to bite you on the ass, and leave you either embarassed, bitter, broke, or all the above!

AUTHOR: Matchmaker - (U.S.A.)

This is in response to Rick's complaint regarding his membership with our company. The only accurate information in his report is that he joined on 7/2/07. The facts are that he signed a contract for payments of 18 months (not 6), was excited to get started and was aware of the cancellation policy. Our Membership Agreements clearly state the cancellation policy in bold lettering by his signature and are in accordance to Minnesota State Law, as well as the Attorney General's office. As long as the cancellation letter is post-marked within 3 business days from the day in which he joined, members are entitled to a full refund.

Beyond those 3 days, we still allow cancellation if no matches have occurred, with a $500.00 penalty to cover our expenses for the background check and processing fees. We did not hear from Rick by phone or mail until we received his cancellation letter that was post-marked on 7/12/07, which is obviously beyond his allotted time to cancel. Since we had not matched him yet, Rick is able to cancel his membership with the obligation to pay the $500.00 fee, as our contracts clearly state.

We have offered to work with Rick on his payments, as well as encouraged him to continue with his membership. Our service has successfully matched thousands of happy members and we hope that Rick chooses to participate in this wonderful opportunity to meet other quality singles and become one of our many success stories.