Complaint Review: Tom's Color Now

• Updated: Wed, November 21, 2012

• Reported By: Brian Ward — Peoria Arizona United States of America
Tom's Color Now
Surprise, Arizona Surprise, Arizona United States of America

Tom's Color Now Refinished steering wheel in Benz CLK500, sticky and didn't dry, oversray ruined passenger seat and door. Will not call me back. Surprise, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: 1000% HAPPY with Tom's work.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Brian, please call me

*Consumer Comment: Tom does outstanding work!

In March 2010, Tom Lehrbach, owner of "Tom's Color Now" came to my house to refinish the leather steering wheel and leather gear shift in my 2005 Mercedes CLK 500.  This car is in perfect condition, not a mark on it anywhere.  I explained to Tom that the car is garaged and needed to be sure it would look like new.  He commented on how nice the car was and then told me the steering wheel would look like new when he was finished.

He proceded to complete the work.  When he was finished he told me it would take a few hours to dry and showed me that it was currently tacky, but, stated it would dry.  Approximately 3 weeks went by, and neither the wheel leather nor the shift leather ever dried.  In fact, the product he used was coming off in my hands.  So I decided to give Tom a call.  He answered, apologized and stated he would give it another try.  I was pleased at this point simply because he seemed to stand behind his work.  We made an appointment the first week in April for him to come back and redo the job.  He showed up at the appointment day and time very apologetic.  He completed the job a second time.  The wheel was still tacky.  He told me he used a different mixture of product and it would dry with a disclaimer at the end of his few sentences to me.  He stated if it didn't dry, he would have to go back to the manufacturer and complain, and try to get different product.  "It may be defective product" he said.  He finished and it seemed to dry a little better at first.

It wasn't until the next day in the light outside my garage that I could see what had happened.  Tom had not only spayed the steering wheel and gear shift, but, also the left side of the passenger leather seat (which happens to be the Mercedes light beige which is almost white).  The passenger side door which is a combination leather, suede, and cloth.  The door was covered in paint.  I was devestated.

Initial estimates by two professional companies told me I would never get the paint out of the leather seat without discoloration taking place. To this day I can still see paint in the leather seat.  The steering wheel and gear shift have not dried and the substance Tom sprayed in my car is still coming off in my hands.

The total cost of clean up was almost 5 times what I paid this man for his work.  Prior to any clean up done by the professional, I called Tom and he stated he would have to get with the manufacturer of the product and told me how he thought I should clean it.  The professional that helped me in the clean up actually called his ways of clean-up a "hack job."

I have looked all over Arizona for Tom's address and cant find him.  I warn you...  If you have a car lot or dealership or maybe you want your car leather refurbished.  Stay far away from this man and this company.  He has no idea what he is doing and in my opinion is not very honest.  His business phone number is (602) 703-1953

Sincerely,

Brian  Peoria, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2010 10:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toms-Color-Now/Surprise-Arizona-/Toms-Color-Now-Refinished-steering-wheel-in-Benz-CLK500-sticky-and-didnt-dry-oversray-614716. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tom's Color Now

1000% HAPPY with Tom's work.

AUTHOR: Carter - (United States of America)

I had the PLEASURE of finding Tom's Color Glo thru a dealership tip. I met up with him in apprx 2002 with my 2000 Buick Century with about 35,000 miles on it. I am very OCD with the car. I bought it new. A friend I was giving rides to would leap from my car in a hurry and after several months of this left a number of claw marks on my armrest from his fingernails as he left the car. Tom color matched my interior and preceded to spray it on. I could not watch. I was just expecting the worst. I thought it would look the wrong color or not the right shade of sheen or just plain awful. After a while he called me over. I took a deep breath and looked....  REALLY???  I couldn't even tell where he worked! It was FLAWLESS. I am VERY critical. I let him do the rest of the little blemishes in the car.

Fast forward to 2009. Car now has 178,000 miles. His work NEVER peeled, chipped, changed color, or anything.

I have never spoken to Tom since, but always kept his business card in my files. I just ran across it tonight. I figured he'd moved away or whatever so I looked him up and found this. Tom, I now have a 2005 Buick Century that has a few issues and hope to be giving you a call soon. You are my first choice.

Thanks!!  Carter

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Brian, please call me

AUTHOR: tom lehrbach - (United States of America)

Brian, I am sorry I have been unable to reach you to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. I have lost your contact information.  During the period when I was attempting to repair your vehicle, My wife of 30 years became seriously ill and eventually died of cancer in Dec 2010. I've been a bit distracted and disorganized since then, but I do wish to set this matter straight with whatever means I have available.

I only recently became aware of this report through a friend who stumbled upon it while searching for my contact information. I have been in business for 13 years in Arizona and was just recently invited by the BBB to be listed on their registry since I have had ZERO complaints with them for all this time. I am proud of my reputation and wish to settle this matter as soon as possible. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
Tom
602 703 1953

Tom does outstanding work!

AUTHOR: Mark in Fountain Hills - (United States of America)

I have used Tom,s Color Now over the past 10 years on many cars and a boat that needed interior repairs.  He does the best work out there and the price is extremely reasonable.  Leather that is refinished will never be exactly the same as new but will look great compared to worn or damaged look.  Anyway, Tom is a good, honest guy and I know he works hard to do the best possible repairs.  If you can afford a clk500 perhaps you should have just gone to the dealer and ordered a new steering wheel- I'm sure the Mercedes dealer would give you an unbelievable price.