Complaint Review: ToneTown

• Submitted: Tue, August 14, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, August 21, 2007

• Reported By:Marble Falls Texas
ToneTown
tonetown.com Miami Beach, Florida U.S.A.

ToneTown Beware!! Looking for Ringtones for Verizon phone and charged for text messaging Ripoff Miami Beach Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Ringtones

I was browsing for ringtones for my new Verizon phone. I clicked on a google search and was linked to Verizon.hottestringers.com. From here I clicked on my carrier, Verizon and was taken to hottestringers.com. I entered my cell phone number, was told I would get a pin number text messaged to me which I did. Once I entered the pin number I was charged 9.99 for TEXT messaging service. I did not want any charges sent to my phone until I picked a ringtone. No only did I not get a ringtone, I was charged for text messaging service. I typed back "stop" in the reply window and was told that the service had been cancelled. I called customer service to see if the charge had been placed on my bill. It was. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was connected to one (I suppose). I was told they would refund back my 9.99 through the mail and it would take 4 to 6 weeks. I told them this was not acceptable and I wanted it taken off my bill. She said it was against policy (not that they could not do it, but that it was against policy). I asked to speak to a manager and was told that managers do not talk on the phone. I asked for their corporate address and was given their customer service address. Finally after relenting and giving them my address I was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get my refund. I asked to expedite the refund and was again told that it was against policy.

Judi
Marble Falls, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2007 08:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ToneTown/Miami-Beach-Florida/ToneTown-Beware-Looking-for-Ringtones-for-Verizon-phone-and-charged-for-text-messaging-R-267559. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ToneTown

Ringtones

AUTHOR: Robergt - (U.S.A.)

Customer are advise of the 9.99 charge from the company they choose to have ring tones from, Verizon wireless received the charge and then pass it along to customer bill with the understanding that the customer choose to have this service. Once customers advise us that they didn't choose this or that they did it by mistake we credit customer as soon as the third party company reverse the charges. This customer didn't want to see a charge until they choose the ring tone, but don't realize that they are paying for the entrance into the club and not for the ring tone itself, all that is the service agreement of the third company, the ring tone is actually free once you enroll in the club. It's not against policy to refund customer with the charge they choose by mistake, however we don't even see the charge until end of the cycle of the bill month, so we don't have nothing to credit until that day. And some cases the credit will be on the next bill and we don't ask customer to pay for the charge (even that from our point of view they choose the charge from the third party company voluntary).
Supervisors are usually very busy people, nevertheless, they will return a customer call within 24 hours.

Now, I'm not saying that Verizon Wireless is a perfect company, we still have a lot to learn and we are trying to do our best today and do even better tomorrow. But misunderstandings happen and customers also need to take responsibility and read what they are getting into. A lot of times if the offer of a ring tone is to good to be true check the terms and conditions before pressing the OK key.