Complaint Review: Toro Company

• Updated: Tue, August 20, 2013

• Reported By: Tom — Claremont California
Toro Company
8111 Lyndale Avenue S Bloomington, Minnesota USA

Toro Company Toro Lawn Mower Warranty Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Bloomington Minnesota

*Author of original report: Another Thing

*Author of original report: Actually, this is funnier

*General Comment: War now thats funny!!

I purchased a Toro mower 5 months ago, specifically because of the "Guaranteed to Start" promise badged across the engine cover. After four light duty uses, the mower failed to start. At the direction of Toro Customer Service, I took the mower to a repair center in Upland. Four days later the owner of this shop called me back and demanded $78.26 to "tune up" my carburetor which he stated: "wasn't so good".

I phoned back Toro and was accosted over the phone by a loud, obnoxious, smack-talking hood rat who would not let me speak. She interrupted, spoke over me and shouted me down. She also refused to consider warranty coverage, deferring to the non-English speaking shop that determined my carburetor was "not so good".

So I wrote a letter to Toro, explaining all this and demanding an answer as to why they wouldn't honor their warranty. I gave them a reasonable amount of time to rerspond and promised them a war if they did not. Toro has continued to ignore me. Here comes the war.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2013 07:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toro-Company/Bloomington-Minnesota-55420/Toro-Company-Toro-Lawn-Mower-Warranty-Fraud-and-Deceptive-Business-Practices-Bloomington-1077336. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Toro Company

Another Thing

AUTHOR: Tom Irwin - ()

I'm a mechanic by training, now teaching hydraulic system repair full time. Cleanliness of fluids is a big deal in my line of work. My mower gas, believe it or not, is kept in a double sealed Lab Safety container, inside a fireproof cabinet.

What MAY BE happening is the boutique blended (MTBE, ethanol) gasoline found in California is horrible for ALL fuel systems and ultimately aluminum engine components. But this has been going on for a long time now and most manufacturers have either stepped up with "California-proof" designs, or they have simply quit the market. Toro, by selling these things in CA, is basically certifying the merchantibility and fitness of the product for this market.

And again.... it isnt even the money. It is the principle of how they treat customers who have an issue. Had they even been slightly polite while denying my claim, we wouldn't be here today. I would have simply repaired it myself, had I known they would deny everything outright.

4 uses. One small front yard.

Actually, this is funnier

AUTHOR: Tom Irwin - ()

I just got back from the repair shop. The guy read me the riot act over "bad gas". Told me how he rebuilt the whole thing to make up for me running "bad gas" in it. Then he demonstrated by pulling the starter cord......wuhhmpphh uh uh uhhh. Then he did it again. then again, and again and again. DEAD DOG ... right there in his parking lot.

Couldn't help myself... asked him if HIS gas was 'bad'. It needed a new carburetor, because the old one failed after four uses.

Also funny, roughly a third of the machines in his dead-line were Toro's All of them were late model with the "Guaranteed to Start" baloney.

Toro has lawyers? You don't say... Do they specialize in muzzling customers aho have been mistreated and lied to?

Bring it.

#3 General Comment

War now thats funny!!

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

I mean really a war you say. You do realize that not only do they have more money and lawyers to throw at your war then you do, they have enough to keep you suspended and in court for practically decades. See the repair shop told you, your carb isnt very good. This probably means that you ran some not so clean gas in your motor. This gas probably had a good amount of dirt in it. This would mess up a tiny little carburator such as you find on mowers. This wouldnt fall within the warrenty. As a manufacturers warrenty ONLY covers defects that would have occured DURING the manufacturing process. Not what would happen because you put bad gas in a mower. My suggestion is pay and get your mower back and in the future take precautions to protect your mower. You can get a small in line fuel filter for under 5$ at your local autoparts store.

As for your war......All I can say is good luck, youre going to need it.