Complaint Review: Total Maintenance, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, June 24, 2011
  • Updated: Sun, June 26, 2011

• Reported By: Total Maintenance customer — Hammond Louisiana United States of America
Total Maintenance, Inc.
11 Store House Lane, Destrahan, LA 70047 Destrahan, Louisiana United States of America

Total Maintenance, Inc. The twice a year maintenance agreement for $120 fails to maintain a/c drain although pretends to do so. Destrahan, Louisiana

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Unit was serviced 3 months ago

Total Maintenance sold me a Winter and Spring maintenance service for my a/c and heater for $120.  The drain in the attic for my a/c was supposed to be cleaned in March, but the technician failed to do the work properly.  The drip pan filled up in June due to a clogged drain, shut the entire system off, and I was charged $95 to clean out the drain again.  When I called to negotiate some kind of arrangement such as deducting the $95 charge from my next maintenance contract, Steve, the manager told me that the drains can get clogged with algae at any time, even days after they are cleaned.  In my opinion, this can happen when the drain is not properly cleaned in the first place.  Even though I am not an a/c technician, I have enough sense to know if you clean the drain out correctly, it will do its job through the next maintenence servicing.  This is the reason why people purchase such services. so that their a/c and heating units work when they need them in height of summer heat and cold of winter.  The Total Maintenence Manager, Steve, said their maintenance servicing does not necessarily do that.

This problem of the drain backing up into the drip pan began for me when they installed the a/c heating unit a few years ago.  They did not install a drain to the sewer line in the attic, but instead rigged a rubber hose through the attic to constantly drip outside of the back of my house on to the ground.  This method failed twice and resulted in filling up the drain pan and it overflowing on to the attic floor and into my living room ceiling leaving obvious water stains.  They told me the only way to correct the problem of the drip pan filling up would be to drain it into the sewer line in the attic.  I asked them why they did not do it this way, correctly, in the first place.  They said that the did not have a plumber on staff to cut into the sewer line.  I responded that the could have told me this and I would have hired a plumber to do this work for them, rather than having them rig something up that was not going to work.  They told me that now they have a plumber on staff who could connect the drain to the sewer line in the attic but that I would have to pay for him to do so.  I told them that the way they rigged the drain hose had damaged my attic floor and the ceiling of my living room and I would not pay for it after the fact, but did agree to split the cost with them.  After they cut into the sewer line in the attic and drained the hose into it, they told me that I would not have a problem with the drip pan filling up again because the way the drain was hooked into the sewer line, it would continuously flow down into the sewer and would not back up into the drip pan.  This was obviously not true because when the drip pan fills up, the system automatically shuts off and this is what happened two days ago.

When John was the Service Manager at TM, I believe the company was honest and tried to do a good job, even though they did make some errors due to a lack of critical thinking skills.  Now that John is gone, all they have given me is one excuse after another instead of taking responsibility for their incompetence.  In addition the technician who came to maintain my a/c and heating unit in March tried to upsell a capacitor to me when there was nothing wrong with the systems cooling ability.  He came to that conclusion because the air in the a/c vents was not cold at first.  He didnt think of the fact that the system was turned off for some time and had collected regular air temperature into the aluminum air shafts and so it had to push out the old air, which was not cold, before the system could push the cold air through. He did not realize his lack of clear and logical thinking, but only read his electronic meter like a robot, and came to the conclusion that I should get a new capacitor because the first air that came out of the shafts and vents was not cold.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/24/2011 03:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Total-Maintenance-Inc/Destrahan-Louisiana-70047/Total-Maintenance-Inc-The-twice-a-year-maintenance-agreement-for-120-fails-to-maintain-745055. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Total Maintenance, Inc.

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Unit was serviced 3 months ago

AUTHOR: David - (United States of America)

First off, the drain line that we tied into at this persons house was an existing drain, not something that we supplied. Not something that we charged her for.  It was there and we tied back into it. This is what was used on her previous system for however many years she has central air in her home. This is standard procedure that we do thousands of times a year. I cant guarantee an existing drain on someones house. Drain lines are old as the house and do back up sometimes at some houses, depends on the conditions. If people do not maintain their units and air filters, dirt will cause them to back up as well as algae growing in the line. It is a condensation drain that will drain anywhere from 8 to 24 gallons of water per day in Louisiana. We were out 90 days prior to her having this issue, if it would have backed up in 30 days we would have taken care of it. It has been record breaking heat during this time frame so everyones units are running double time to keep up producing above average condensation levels. Drains do back up a lot in this area due to the high volume of humidity removal from the air. She speaks of my service manager John.he was an install supervisor not my service manager. I have no idea of what she is saying about the capacitor and grills. That was determined by using a meter to determine the strength of it at the condenser; it was low so he recommended replacing it. This is what a preventative maintenance agreement is for. Now when her capacitor goes out, Im sure that will be my fault too since she decided not to replace it. At that point it will be another service call to come out and fix something that she was told about but declined It just seems that whenever anything goes wrong in any line of work people just complain and think it should be free. We do about 10,000 service calls a year and we always get a couple of complaints from people who feel that their unit that is out of warranty should be covered, but every warranty has an expiration date. I am sorry that HER drain backed up 3 months after we performed a spring check up, but this does happen from time to time. Even my moms drain backs up and shuts off from time to time. Some homes go 20 years without ever having an issue, some newer homes back up every year.I cant explain it since I didnt plumb these homes and I cannot monitor the progress of algae growth in everybodies drain lines. All I can do is resolve the issues when they pop up. I wish I could prevent every possible failure from happening when someone has a maintenance contract with us but I am not a magician I am an A/C tech. When you are dealing with anything mechanical, sometimes things fail. Especially when you are dealing with constant water removal. I wish that people would get more informed before they attack people on a subject that they obviously do not know anything about. If it is us or any other company, drains backing up is definately a possibilty down south.