Complaint Review: Toyota of North America

• Updated: Thu, June 26, 2014

• Reported By: Thomas A. Hopper — San Antonio Texas
Toyota of North America
601 Lexington ave, 49 fl,New York, ny 1002 , Select State/Province USA

Toyota of North America Toyota's failure to fix my poor gas milage on my 2009 prius new york new york, new york

July 27, 2013 Dear Sir: Your rating of Hybrid cars in the August 2013 issue was most interesting. However there is a problem I feel impelled to share with you. I purchased a 2009 used Prius on December 31. 2010. With about Approx. 16,000 miles, it also came with a 100,000 mile Toyota maintenance contract included. My wife and I loved the car because of the cutting edge features, and spaciousness. What most pleased us was the gas mileage we were getting, (Ave. 47.5 city 50.5 Hwy). This average was maintained for 2 years and 8 months. Starting in October 2012 we started to notice a decline in our gas mileage averages. During the latter part of the year we brought the car into the dealer, from whom we purchased the auto, and mentioned it to them. They checked the car out and that the car passed all of Toyota specifications and they could not find any problems. By February 2013 the gas mile continued to decline and again I returned the car to the dealer and again they said all tests were within Toyota specifications. It was suggested by the dealer that I should switch to a name brand gasoline such as Exxon, Texaco or Shell because many other companies were adding alcohol or poor manufacturing procedures that this could significantly affect my mileage. I took their advice and exclusively purchased Exxon gasoline. Along with this I kept copious records of my fuel consumption and the mileage I was getting. From February 18, 2013 to May 5, 2013 averaged 39.67014 miles per gallon by using odometer reading and gas purchased and 40.722857miles per gallon using Toyotas mileage usage display. I returned to the dealer and they again said their computer found no problems and all tests were within Toyotas specifications. I went to the manager and complained about the tests by the computer and was assured that the computer tests were accurate and Toyota would not further do mechanical investigations because there was no indication of a problem and all factors were within specifications. I call Toyota’s customer service line and was told that Toyota did not have a single case such as mine and I should return to the dealer.

On or about June 4th I received a call from the dealers newly hired customer service representative and he asked me to try a national recognized independent gasoline rating service an gave me a web site to see which was the best gasoline on the market at this time and try using that product. I did so and Shell gasoline was recommended and again I using the same procedures in my first test I use Shell for four fill-ups and the result were worse than the previous test. I averaged 35.4333 using odometer readings and gasoline purchased, and 37.6675 using Toyota’s mileage usage display. I returned again and again the dealer said that all tests were within Toyota’s Specifications. They even indicated they were in contact with Toyota’s engineering department and the tests were within specs. I asked exactly what are the specs for my car? They said Toyota specs were between 22 mpg to 88 mph. I was stunned and dealer told me they considered my problem closed.

In early July I received a call from Toyota’s customer service department and the individual was stunned with the answer to the problem and would look into this immediately and get back to me. I told her that because of the inaction and no apparent hope of relief, over a period of 8 months, I sold the car. She said she still would investigate the problem and get back to me. As of this date July 27, 2013 I have heard nothing and frankly don’t care to hear from Toyota. In closing I might be useful to disclose to consumers the auto manufacture’s specifications of acceptable gasoline mileage on their cars. 2009 PRIUS GASOLINE MILAGE (8 FILLUPS WITH EXXON REGULAR FUEL BETWEEN 2/24/ AND 4/14/2013) AVE MPS GAS GALLONS ODOMER AVERAGE MPG SCREEN DATE PURCHASED READING ODOMETER INDACATOR 2/18/2013 7.0026 56848 0 0 2/24/2013 8.025 57130 40.27 41.6 3/1/2013 7.55 57442 41.26 43.1 3/12/2013 7.76 57819 40.8 40.8 3/20/2013 8.52 58163 40.1 40.9 3/27/2013 8.4 58502 40.7 41.1 4/6/2013 7.65 58721 39.47 39.9 5/4/2013 7.01 58986 35.091 37.7 AVE 39.67014286 40.72857143 2009 PRIUS GASOLINE MILAGE (4 FILLUPS WITH SHELL REGULAR FUEL BETWEEN 6/5/ AND 7/05/2013) DATE GAS GALLONS ODOMER AVERAGE MPG SCREEN PURCHASED READING ODOMETER INDACATOR 6/6/2013 9.125 60867 0 38.4 6/15/2013 9.014 61181 34.4 37.6 6/26/2013 9.008 61520 37.6 37.23 7/5/2013 10 61863 34.3 37.4 AVE 35.43333333 AVE 37.6575

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2013 11:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toyota-of-North-America/Select-StateProvince/Toyota-of-North-America-Toyotas-failure-to-fix-my-poor-gas-milage-on-my-2009-prius-new-yo-1070684. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Toyota of North America