Complaint Review: Toys R Us

• Submitted: Fri, November 28, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, December 16, 2008

• Reported By:Chester Virginia
Toys R Us
1869 S. Park Blvd. Colonial Heights, Virginia U.S.A.

Toys R Us Will not honor their sales ads... $50 price difference! Colonial Heights Virginia

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I used to be a manager at Toys R US

I went to Toys R Us on "Black Friday" and attempted to buy the First Act 5 piece Drum Set listed in their Sales flier for $49.99. When I got to the register the item rang up $99.99. I was told the drum set I had was not the one that was on sale. I asked to be shown to the one that was on sale and was taken to a drum set that was not even near the other First Act items in the store and the set I was given was a 4 piece set. I pointed out that the ad was for a 5 piece set and the clerk said that the ad must be a misprint. I said that they should honor the ad and then correct the problem but the clerk and a manager refused to do it.

I went in to the store at 1pm, they had been open since 5am and had hours to correct this. I believe they placed the more expensive set where it could be seen and wanted people to purchase it and not get the sale price. I purchased the more expensive set anyway since it was the one in the ad and told the clerk I would be contacting the corprate office to complain.

When I called the customer service rep took my nam and phone number and said a supervisor would call me back since the store would not honor an ad price. I was contacted back by a supervisor within 30 minutes. The supervisor said he could see the error and it was on their website also and he said he was sorry for the confusion but all he would do was call the store and have them hold the less expensive set and I could go back and return mine and purchase the cheaper one for the sale price.

I am not satisfied with their response and feel they should honor their ads or place a retraction in the store when the problem is noticed, not wait hours and refuse to honor prices when they know their ads, store signs, and website are misleading.

Heathernb
Chester, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2008 04:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toys-R-Us/Colonial-Heights-Virginia-23834/Toys-R-Us-Will-not-honor-their-sales-ads-50-price-difference-Colonial-Heights-Virgini-395803. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Toys R Us

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I used to be a manager at Toys R US

AUTHOR: Ryandc - (U.S.A.)

I used to manage a TRU and I can tell you that if the AD was incorrect they would be forced under law to honor the price. If they sold out of the original drum set which is entirely possible on Black Friday that is not the same thing as false advertising. I can also tell you with certainty that the managers and associates at TRU do not care which drum set you buy, they are concerned this time of year with only moving merchandise. I handled the incoming frieght during the past Holliday season and can tell you that the amount of stuff coming in VS the space you have is unreal. You put out in prime spots things you know will sale or things that you have no space for. It really sounds like you got confused on which set you thought you saw, or you are just like a lot of shoppers, trying to get something for nothing. I dealt with several people like you and it sounds like your the latter. If indeed you believe you are right file a BBB report, the store will be fined automatically for the filing and if anything will get results it is that since a certified letter is sent to the store manager urging a resolution.