Complaint Review: Toys R Us

• Reported By: prv8eye — Valley Center California USA
Toys R Us
1240 Auto Park Way Escondido, California United States of America

Toys R Us ToyrRus BAIT and SWITCH Escondido, California

*Consumer Comment: I see Toys R US is not worth buying from.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: read dummy

*Consumer Comment: adjustment

*Consumer Comment: Where is the switch?

www.toysrus.com lists several games for children on sale for $4.99.
Under each game it says "Available in store".
I drove 13 miles to my local store and found the same games neatly stacked in a large display just inside the front door.
There were stand alone sign frames around the display but they were empty. No prices were listed.
After grabbing three games and standing in line for over 20 minutes I found that one game rang up at TWICE the sale price and the third at $12.
I asked for the manager but the clerk directed me to customer service.
After standing in another line the girl in customer service told me the store does not match online prices, not ever from their OWN company.
When I informed her that their web site listed the games for $4.99 and stated under each game that they were available in stores she just repeated what she had said. [continued below]....
.....
I contacted the manager, Mike, and he told me the same thing.
I asked him why the exact same toys listed on sale on the web site and "available in stores" were stacked near the front door with empty sign frames posted around them.
He looked at the floor and said they had a sale earlier but it was over at 3:00.
The web site had no mention of the sale ending at 3:00 and still had the same prices at 6:16 as I write this.
I informed Mike that this was a classic Bait and Switch scam and a crummy way to do business. They know most customers, exhausted from Christmas shopping, won't cancel the purchase after spending so much time in line.
Mike just mumbled that there was nothing he could do, asked me to "stop yelling" and walked away.
By the way, I drove next door to Target and found these SAME games for $4.99, ditto Walmart.
This is a obviously orchestrated scam. I've worked for department stores and product placement is dictated by corporate and is no accident.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2010 07:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toys-R-Us/Escondido-California-/Toys-R-Us-ToyrRus-BAIT-and-SWITCH-Escondido-California-670623. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Toys R Us

I see Toys R US is not worth buying from.

AUTHOR: Sheryl248 - (United States of America)

I never visit Toys R Us or bought any thing there in 20 years, their dishonest, you proved it too.

Look what the Psychopaths are selling now:

Just in time for Christmas, the talking doll that says, "Okay, you crazy b**ch." or "Hey b**ch" ( Listen yourself to hear it.) its there do a google or bing search for it, see if its real.

Many adults have said they heard it, and kids too. Toys R US sees no problem and some other people too. Adults suggested buying it to give to their wife or sister or mother-in-law.

Customers have shared via the Internet that the doll appears to say crazy b**ch. ... who intends to return the dolls to the Toys R Us store.

Now that I wrote all that:
If you try to explain your problem, psychopaths seem to come out of nowhere. I can prove it, what kind of understanding do they create as a result of this? What do they discuss?

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

read dummy

AUTHOR: sillygeese - (United States of America)

seeing that you went shopping during a peak season that explains why there was a sale that ended in the middle of the day. that also explains why the games were stacked out on the floor the way they are in the picture. you shouldn't expect much help from someone if you come in screaming at them as if they are dogs. if i was the associate i would have made you feel really small about somplaing about a board game your idiot kid wouldnt play with but once or twice anyway

adjustment

AUTHOR: starlet317 - (United States of America)

I work at Macy's and yes, as the PP stated most stores do not honor online prices as the online stores are almost always a completely separate entity.  As a consumer I've even encountered this and it is indeed frustrating.  However, since the online ad stated the item was available in stores I would be hard pressed to find a reasonable arguement against the customer.  If this same situation came up to me in my store I would have adjusted the price.  I don't blame you one bit for being aggrevated.

Where is the switch?

AUTHOR: Chris - (USA)

Not bait and switch. Not even close. You clearly don't know what bait and switch is, so I won't waste either of our time explaining it. "Orchestrated scam"? A bit overdramatic don't you think?

Almost every big retail company does not match their online prices. Next time you go into a big retail chain, ask someone if they match their online prices. The answer will almost always be no. I'm not sure why you are singling out Toys R Us for this.

The said on their website that the items were available in store. They didn't say the items were the same price. In fact, I bet they said something like "prices in store may vary" and you were just too lazy to read it.

You're lucky the employee just told you to stop yelling and walked away. I would have tossed your butt out. Do you realize you are yelling at someone who has no control over online and store pricing? Like I said, this is the case in EVERY big chain retail store. Ihope that makes you feel like a real tool.