Complaint Review: Toys R Us

Toys R Us
www.toysrus.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Toys R Us Refused to honor coupon Chula Vista California

*Consumer Comment: One time zone

*Author of original report: Nothing in the fine print

*UPDATE Employee: Did the coupon say in-store only?

Non-East Coast buyers beware!!! I tried to purchase online at www.toysrus.com a toy for my child using a $5 off coupon from ToysRUs. The coupon stated it was good "This Fri. & Sat. Only." I attempted to use the coupon on the valid Saturday at 9:47pm Pacific Time and received the message that my discount code had expired. I was angry but ordered the item anyway.

I then called Toys R Us' "24-Hour Customer Service," and chose the option to inquire about my recent online purchase. I was given a recorded message that they were closed and to call back during regular business hours (Eastern time, of course). When I called a second time, I chose the option to purchase an item online and was connected to a live representative. I argued that my coupon should have been honored since nowhere on the coupon itself, nor on the web site, does it mention that coupons have Eastern-time expirations. Nevertheless, the representative basically told me, "Too bad, that's the way it is."

You can be sure that I will remember my poor treatment from Toys R Us when considering future toy purchases.

Peeved parent
San Diego, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/19/2008 10:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Toys-R-Us/nationwide/Toys-R-Us-Refused-to-honor-coupon-Chula-Vista-California-353303. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Toys R Us

One time zone

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

You realize that an order system can realistically only use one time zone? Its fairly standard that the time zone be eastern.

"These Terms and Conditions supersede any other agreement between you and Toys "R" Us or GSI to the extent necessary to resolve any inconsistency or ambiguity between them. These Terms and Conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws."

Since Toys r Us is governed under New jersey law, then all of their offers and coupons will be fit to work under new jersey law. Ie: The website is in New Jersey so it all eastern time.

It sucks, but its not a rip off. In the future, don't try to buy it last minut on the expiration date. Also, most companies reserve the right to not accept coupons at their discretion.

Nothing in the fine print

AUTHOR: Peeved Parent - (U.S.A.)

I did read the fine print and it made no mention of "in-store" only. In addition, I had been to the local Toys R Us store earlier that day and they did not carry that item--it was only available online. Nevertheless, I appreciate the suggestion to speak to a manager.

AUTHOR: Missa - (U.S.A.)

They have several coupons that are only for use in store. You really have to read the fine print on these things.

I'd say, even though the situation is lame, you could have gone into the store and bought the item. They would have honored the coupon for you, even if it was expired. You might have even been able to take your receipt and coupon in and convinced the manager to give you the 5 dollars off by either refunding the coupon or reringing the sale completely.

I can think of a dozen ways I could have given your money back while following all store policies. Not all Toys R Us-ers suck!