Complaint Review: Tracfone

• Submitted: Mon, October 07, 2013
  • Updated: Mon, October 07, 2013

• Reported By: RidgecrestAngel — Ridgecrest California

Tracfone Walmart selling defective Tracfones Ridgecrest California

My daughter's Samsung Tracfone (SGH-S150G) started displaying the wrong time a couple weeks back. She is unable to use the alarm to wake her up since it displays an hour ahead of our current time (we are in the Pacific Time Zone, but the phone displays the Alaska Time Zone). Also, it's very frustrating for her no having the correct time on her phone (she is special needs). I called customer support at 1-800-867-7183, and got a woman on the phone who had trouble speaking English, and she spoke VERY fast. We spent at least an hour on the phone with her having me trying different things in the display and settings tab, but to no avail. She sent me to her supervisor, and they reset the phone, and we, again, went through the same things trying to fix the phone with her. She couldn't help me either. So, she made arrangements to send me a new phone.

Fast forward a couple days....we receive the phone in the mail. I call the same 800# and they have me punch in a code and tell me that the phone will be up and running in an hour. 3 hours later...the phone still says "Unregistered SIM" and I can only make emergency phone calls on it. So, I call the 800#, AGAIN, and get hung up on 3 times after waiting three 15 minute intervals - after entering the cell's phone number, each time with a recording telling me that there is currently a program in process on this phone and that the phone will be up and running in 15 minutes. So..flash forward another 50+ minutes...I finally get fed up and call again. This time, I give them my AT&T phone number hoping that I won't get hung up on this time. The system doesn't recognize it as being a Tracfone (really?) and doesn't know what to do, so it sends me to a customer care representative...finally, I get to talk to someone about this Tracfone still not working.

I tell the technician what happened...yada yada yada... she walks me through another 30 minutes of my being on the phone with her having me punch in codes and check display and checking settings, etc., etc. She can't figure it out either, and says there is nothing she can do for me. UNACCEPTABLE!!! I ask her to transfer me to her supervisor, so she transfers me to her supervisor. Supervisor gets on the phone, and we go through this merry-go-round of trying to fix the time, and she can't figure it out either. But, then after all this, she says that the time is right. She starts arguing with me about how the Pacific time was correct on our phone (4:06 pm) when it was 5:06 pm here. I don't know what computer she was using or where she was at or how she got info, but my computer (Mediacom Cable Company) and my cell phone (AT&T) both show that it was 5:06 pm, and I was sitting in my seat in Ridgecrest, CA (Pacific Time Zone). I was getting upset, so I even yelled out asking my husband who was in the next room, "Honey, what time is it?" He said, "5:06 pm." I asked my husband to get on the phone and explain to this lady that we are in Pacific Time Zone, and it is 5:06pm. He did so, and she argued with him also saying that it was 4:06 pm in the Pacific Time Zone...Needless to say, we got tired of arguing with her that it was 5:06 pm here, not 4:06 pm.

So, now I have 2 Samsung Tracfones that display the wrong time. I would take the original phone I received from Walmart back to Walmart in a heartbeat, but it has been more than 90 days since our purchase (June 27, 2013), and they do not accept returns on electronics past 90 days.

We are VERY dissatisfied with Tracfone, including their lack of customer service, and this defective product. After looking at the reviews on this cell phone at Walmart.com and at Tracfone.com, apparently, we are not alone in our complaints. What I find unnerving is that Walmart continues to sell this defective phone: http://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-Samsung-S150G-Bundle-Double-Minutes/24623087

I will never buy another Tracfone ever again.

Angel Thompson-Smith

Ridgecrest, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/07/2013 06:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tracfone/Select-StateProvince/Tracfone-Walmart-selling-defective-Tracfones-Ridgecrest-California-1090237. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tracfone