dried

• Updated: Wed, July 11, 2012

• Reported By: Dennis — Llano Texas United States of America
Trailers Plus
3800 Airport Road Nampa, Idaho United States of America

Trailers Plus Michael Stone Trailers Plus employee hooks up my brand new $6K trailer, it comes loose and wrecks within 1/2 mile Nampa, Idaho

I located Trailers Plus on the internet, and contacted their franchise in Houston, TX. On Thursday, July 5, 2012, I traveled to Houston to purchase the trailer. Payment was made for the full amount via cashier's check. Present were Ronald Barnes, general manager, and Kirk Dudley, salesperson. After completing sale documents, Kirk Dudley and I went outside to hook up trailer. Mr. Dudley performed the actual connection, which I observed, and signed a document which attested that I had observed Mr. Dudley and had been instructed on proper trailer hookup. Less than 1/2 mile from Trailers Plus, in 4 lanes of 70-MPH traffic, the trailer disconnected from my vehicle,traveled over multiple lanes of traffic and subsequently wrecked itself against the concrete barrier. The Houston Police arrived, but issued me no citation. A wrecker returned the trailer to the Trailers Plus lot (which I paid for). A telephone call was made (and recorded) and Mr. [continued below]....
..... Dudley stated that the trailer hitch had been locked down correctly. Mr. Barnes evidenced a hostile attitude, began taking photographs, and telephoning/texting to some unknown party, but refused to provide his superior's name or telephone number, despite repeated requests. He insisted that the trailer must remain on their premises so that they could "complete an investigation." Subsequent calls to Trailers Plus Corporate were not answered, but return a return call from Amanda in customer service took the information on the incident and promised resolution. Subsequently, Ronald Barnes called me and offered to fix the trailer and charge only for materials. I heard nothing from Trailers Plus until Wednesday, July 10 at 12:01, when Michael Stone, CEO, called and informed me that their employee was not to blame, and it was not a case of product liability, but that I had "jacknifed the trailer." Unknown to Mr. Stone, there were impartial witnesses to the incident who be able to refute that allegation. The conversation ended with no satisfactory resolution.

The bottom line here is that they STILL have the wrecked trailer in their lot, and will not make any more than a token offer to fix it without labor charges.   I made them a fair offer THAT DAY to upgrade to a more expensive trailer and pay the difference then and there, and they refused.   This is clearly a case of either employee incompetence or product liability, and yet they seem to think I will just go away.   I would still settle this amicably, but Trailers Plus has less than zero understanding of customer service, and they have made no meaningful effort to make this right.  From the treatment that I have received from them, I believe that this is not the first time that they have trampled on the rights of a working man.  This has been turned over to my attorney, and legal action is commencing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/11/2012 01:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trailers-Plus/Nampa-Idaho-83687/Trailers-Plus-Michael-Stone-Trailers-Plus-employee-hooks-up-my-brand-new-6K-trailer-it-c-910386. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Trailers Plus