Complaint Review: TransUnion

• Submitted: Sat, September 01, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, September 01, 2012

• Reported By: Ludy — Fort Wayne Indiana United States of America

TransUnion Deceptive monthly billing, Internet

On 6/14/2012 I requested a credit report from TransUnion in reply to an email sent to me suggesting that I could view my credit report.

On 6/14/2012 I received a confirmation order with $0.00 subtotal, $0.00 Sales Tax, $0.00 Total, which confirmed for me that what I was getting was a free credit report - one I wanted because of refinancing a mortgage.  I thought I was entitled to one free credit report per year.

On 6/15, I reported by email my credit score to Quicken Loans representative Darryl Nobles, Jr.

About a month later, I noticed a billing from TransUnion, and then thought I must have misunderstood about the report being free, and so I did not dispute that first billing, but I should have disputed it having no idea that the billing would continue.

On 9/1/2012, I checked my American Express Delta transactions list, and saw the TransUnion billing again.  I don't check these statements every month, just periodically.

On 9/1/2012, I called TransUnion to inquire the reason for the billing.  "Jern" said I had signed up for credit monitoring. I replied I never signed up for anything but the report, and I thought it would be free. She said I would have to request the free report from a different site, not from TransUnion, and said I must not have read through all the terms when I clicked "agree" in reply to the terms for receiving the credit report.  My request for removal of the previous charges was denied.  She said she could only cancel my "membership" from this day forward, gave me confirmation number 5541.

On 9/1/2012, I went to my bank online and initiated an inquiry for investigation and gave the details of the cancellation and confirmation number.  At the bank site, I read a note that I need to also call a customer service representative at my bank if I want to discontinue billing from this merchant.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2012 10:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TransUnion/internet/TransUnion-Deceptive-monthly-billing-Internet-935732. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TransUnion