Complaint Review: TransUnion

• Updated: Mon, February 13, 2012

• Reported By: Steaming — wakeman Ohio United States of America

TransUnion TrueCredit.com Free Credit Report Scam, Theif, Total ripoff Internet

*Author of original report: TransUnion Ripoff

*Consumer Comment: You went to the wrong site.

Looks like I am one of the many ripped off by TransUnion - TrueCredit.com.

I got online January 29th, 2012 to get my free yearly credit report.  It went as usual through the first 2 reporting agencies.  Then I came to TransUnion..........

There was no way to get the credit report without accepting the FREE trial of their credit monitoring service.  There is absolutely no way to get through transunions site with out it.   First of all how can they do that.  I thought it was a law that they had to give you your free credit report once a year??????

So.... 7 day free trial, cancel anytime in the 7 days without being charged...........Right!  I called immediately after receiving my report and waited and waited and waited (did I say I waited) for a representative to come on the line.  Finally....A PERSON!  "Lanie" was her name, yes I managed to get her to give me a name.  I told her exactly what I thought about their process and forcing you to accept their free trial and that I wanted to cancel.

"Lanie" said unfortunately her computer was not accessible at that time and I would need to cancel at a later date.  I said "Nice try Lanie, I am canceling today.  Got a pen and paper"  Lanie replied "yes"  I said "take the information down and cancel as soon as your computer is accessible"  She took my information, Name, order number, social security number, credit card number, address and phone and repeated it to me and said it would be canceled.

A week later my account was charged $16.95!  WHAT A SCAM.  I am in the process of disputing the charge and I am posting the experience to as many complaint forums as I can in hopes that somone will stop this ripoff scam.  It has to be illegal.

It is beyond a doubt a scam.  They have no intentions of letting you cancel, they make it nearly impossible to find their contact info on the website.  Then nearly impossible to talk to someone, then IMPOSSIBLE to cancel.  A company that is supposed to be helping you against ripoffs, WHAT A JOKE!
Label me steaming in Ohio!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2012 09:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TransUnion/internet/TransUnion-TrueCreditcom-Free-Credit-Report-Scam-Theif-Total-ripoff-Internet-838158. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TransUnion

TransUnion Ripoff

AUTHOR: Steaming - (United States of America)

Thank you for your reply.  I am aware there is a charge for the credit score.
The first 2 reports went off without a hitch.  But for TransUnion I was redirected and after trying several times and continually being redirected I went with the credit report.    If it wasn't a scam, it would clearly say on TransUnions website what they are doing and how to opt out or "oops you need to go to a different website"

It IS a TransUnion Website that I was redirected to,  therefore they are part of the problem.  They are condoning this type of scam.  It IS TransUnion who took the payment from my account, and it WAS a TransUnion employee that I spoke with who clearly did not cancel as I requested.

BEWARE of using the TransUnion website at all.

You went to the wrong site.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You are entitled to 1 free credit report per Credit Reporting Agency per year, but to get that you must go to the correct site.

If for some reason the link gets redacted you can go to "annual credit report dot com", just take out all of the spaces and replace dot with .

Keep in mind that this is ONLY your credit REPORT, if you want your SCORE that will cost you extra.   If you didn't go to the above site for your other reports you better be sure you didn't accidentally sign up for some "service" such as credit monitoring.  If you did you need to cancel them within their trial period or you will be charged from them as well.

Also, you are entitled to a free credit report anytime you are declined for credit based on information in your report.  The company you applied for will send you a letter stating the reasons why you were denied, in that letter there will be instructions on were to send in your request for a free credit report.  This works out nicely because if you are declined you can get a free one and it does not count against the one you are already entitled to for free.