Complaint Review: Travelers Advantage

• Submitted: Thu, February 15, 2001
  • Updated: Sat, December 03, 2005

• Reported By:
Travelers Advantage
P.O. Box 291987 Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Travelers Advantage victims ripped off - CONTACT NUMBER for you to try! EDitor's Comment

*UPDATE Employee: Reasons for needing a credit card first

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: many poor souls have been enrolled for years in a program and were not even aware of it

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: what legitimate company would do this to a customer?

*Consumer Comment: Traveler's advantage fan

*Consumer Comment: EDitor's Response ..Tim, two or three positive comments mean nothing

*Consumer Comment: Unprofessional Editor

*Consumer Suggestion: Satisfied Customer

*UPDATE Employee: Good Deal

I recently noticed a complaint about Travelers Advantage.

I have also had problems with the company -- I was offered to sign-up but they would refuse to give me details about membership until after I give them a credit card number. I refused!

I also wrote a letter of complaint to head-office, explaining that it is BAD to hand-over a credit card number, without the opportunity to read what I'm getting into. How dare they!

I recently received a reply from MICHELLE THOMAS who claims to be an executive.
Her phone number is 800 648 4037 extension 3619
An address to write to (Keep in mind, it took about 2 months for Michelle to respond to my complaint) is Travelers Advantage P.O. box 291987 Nashville TN 37229-1987

For those who are in a bad situation, I hope this contact info will help.

good luck. I'd be interested to read any more information from other people who have had problems with travelers advantage.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Travelers-Advantage/Nashville-Tennessee-37229-1987/Travelers-Advantage-victims-ripped-off-CONTACT-NUMBER-for-you-to-try-EDitors-Comment-4461. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Travelers Advantage

Reasons for needing a credit card first

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

The only reason why we need your credit card first, is because our travel agents' computers wont access prices for travel unless we have a membership for you, so you must give us your number to start the membership, to give you access to the prices...I know it's not the best procedure, but if you want the service it's what you have to do.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Bret - (U.S.A.)

Some of these poor souls have been enrolled for years in a program and were not even aware of it, the program provides for easy yearly re enrollment by billing your credit card. My best advice to all is to review your cc and bank statements every month. There were some instances while I was employed with this company where a person was enrolled in the the same program several times, each at 79.99 per year, and we as an employee were not allowed to tell the customer that they were enrolled multiple times in our program. So I ask what legitimate company would do this to a customer?

As for the products, American Airlines travel coupons? A joke....the travel coupon is only good off of the highest quoted fare not the best fare at the time when you are calling to book, there is even a special number on the coupon you must call when booking. So for example you could be paying twice the going rate for the same seat.

As for the hotel discounts well lets just say as a savy traveler myself I tried using their hotel discount directory and out of the several hotels I contacted the the special 50% off rate was not available, and this was Florida for the first week of November?

On there other services I tested out I did much better by going on to the airlines web site or hotels.com. I left this company on good terms I was just recalled to my job. I just beg all consumers to review their cc statements. They are counting on those of us who do not pay attention to our accounts. By the way shame on AOL for giving consumers cc information to a third party, this practice should be illegal.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

what legitimate company would do this to a customer?

AUTHOR: Bret - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry about how the membership department would not give Mr ED Magedson details on the service before signing up. So perhaps I may be of help with some of the discounts and savings Travelers Advantage has. I'll try to keep out the marketing terms and give the nitty gritty.

Firstly, you can save between $25-$100 per American Airlines ticket as long as it is a roundtrip ticket originating in the U.S. (I specificly mention this because Mr Magedson seems to live in Nevis, West Indies), have at least 5 days advance purchase (this is a recent developement, it used to be 14 days), and is in a discountable class of service (Sorry, but First, Business, and Full Coach "Y" class are not applicable).

You will receive the Hotels at Half Price booklet which contains a listing of hotels where one may gain a 50% discount off a hotel's Rack rate (The Rack rate is what the hotel is officially allowed to charge for a room, and is listed on the back of the door of every hotel room). This sometimes requires a 30 day advance purchase, but more importantly the hotel does not have to give this rate if it expects 80% or more occupancy for the period you are looking to stay. This program is only available through the booklet, meaning you must call the hotel(s) with the numbers given in the booklet. The reservations agents (the ones at Travelers Advantage) do not have a booklet and would not be able to get you the rate even if they do have a booklet handy.

If the hotel at half price rate does not suit your needs then the travel service itself offers up to 30% off the Rack rate at several hotel chains. However, sometimes not even this is the lowest rate but we will always offer the lowest rate that applies for you. Meaning, if you qualify for Senior, AARP, AAA, Government (usually requires you being on government business), or Military (sometimes requires you to be on military orders) discounts then we'll get those for you. Sometimes it may require the agent calling the hotel directly, as some hotels do not list those prices for the agents.

The travel service is also able to get 5% - 10% discounts off of roundtrip air flights with US Airways (who recently came out of bankruptcy), requiring a certain amount of advance purchase and classes of service. Sorry, but I'm afraid I do not have the details on this off the top of my head.

Also, the travel service offers many non-published air fares which are great discounts compared to even many internet/web fares. For example, I was able to get one fellow flights from PHX (Phoenix, Arizona) to DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth, TX) to SHV (Shreveport, LA) and back as two roundtrip tickets for only $484 (after taxes) instead of the $1352 it would have cost anywhere else (believe me, I checked Expedia and Orbitz for him). The fellow had exactly a 5-day advance purchase (which was exactly what was needed for the fare). But this is one of the extreme examples. It's not like the seats were nearly sold out on the flights, it was the advance purchase requirements that pushed the price for the flights to $1352 for purchase anywhere else.

We do offer special discounts with Avis and Budget car rentals, which aren't always the lowest rates when compared to 'cheap' car rentals such as Thrifty (though Dollar often beats out its sister company), but we prefer Avis or Budget as they provide much better service and vehicles for our members and we do get the lowest prices for those specific car companies. We also have discounts with Dollar Rent-A-Car, but most agents forget to remind you that you get a 15% discount off the rentals you make through the service (meaning over the phone) that will be applied at the car rental counter.

The above savings do not yet have the 5% cash bonus (it's a rebate) applied, which can be received for nearly any reservation made through the service.

There are other savings that I'm not ready to go into detail here, but these are the primary discounts. I hope this helps answer your questions, and once again I am sorry that our membership service failed to give you these details when asked.

Traveler's advantage fan

AUTHOR: Ronald - (U.S.A.)

with regard to Traveler's Advantage. I have found their customer service to be about 8 on a 10 scale. Only problems were when they converted computer systems last fall and wait times were long and profiles not kept up with.

If you are a business or frequent traveler, this is definately the way to go.

When I arrive into a town, I call one number and can find out about all of the hotels in the area, discounts, availability, etc. In my line of work prebooking isnt always an option.

Pricing is exceptional. I get to stay in nicer locations and properties than I would without this service. For example, Sheratons, Marriots, Crown Plaza's usually run me $70-85.

Hope this helps your readers.

EDitor's Response ..Tim, two or three positive comments mean nothing

AUTHOR: EDitor - ()

Just because I don't agree with you does not make me unprofessional. There are no professional rules, so how can you apply any?

I cannot believe your lack of perception. READ carefully! These two or three positive comments mean nothing from people who are likely shills of T&A, as you so affectionately refer to them. Why? Because statistically it is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of complaints received on this disreputable company.

Want another opinion? You are also a jerk! And 99.7% of the contributors on this subject agree with ME. Crawl back in your hole, content to know that you have the eclat of dirtbags who are content to scam and defraud their customers.

ED Magedson
EDitor@ripoffreport.com

Unprofessional Editor

AUTHOR: Tim - ()

I find the response of from the RipOff editor, to the consumer that responded about the good service he has received, to be very unprofessional. I tend to doubt the validity of your reports when I read such a response. As for Travelers Advantage. My company too uses them and has received good travel related services and quick resolutions to any problems that have been encountered when using their services.

I too do not blame the person for not wanting to give out his credit card number. That is his right. T/A just loses a potential customer under such circumstances. There in lies an answer. If one doesn't like their demands and has already received untimely responses from them.. Don't use them.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Satisfied Customer

AUTHOR: James - ()

I have been a customer of Travelers Advantage for 7 years and have saved THOUSANDS of dollars using their service. I purchase the service for all my employees. I can certainly understand the complainant's beef, but it honestly has been a very good deal for us.

Good Deal

AUTHOR: shawna - ()

I am a travel agent that books for the travelers advantage program. I am not managment, I'm just writing this because I don't think the person that wrote the comment about Travelers Advantage has a clue about the service. I don't know who this person talked to but I know the membership dept does explain the service and even gives trial memberships. When I found this comment I was online at home looking up the travelers advantage website to look up travel prices for myself!

In a day I book 15-20 trips, some business travelers traveling alone some families planning their vacation. But every call I take, I(and every other agent)ask the customer if they have checked prices anywhere else. Most have or will before they book and I get several comments everyday from people saying we are cheaper than anyone else PLUS they will get 5% cash back on anything they book. We book about 1/3 of the calls, the other 2/3 of the calls our members are calling to check rates, check flight schedules, or for us to go over an existing reservation, etc.

I believe that if you think about how many times you checked everything before your last trip you'll realize that 1/3 booking is actually really good and says alot about how good of a service it is.

Nearly every flight we book with American Airlines we can apply either a $25-$100 coupon off Americans Airlines fare (which only our company can use)so book a few tickets and it more than pays for the membership. PLUS the 5% back.

In all that I did not mention the fact that instead of having to worry about your reservation because you did it yourself,with the service you have a trained travel agent booking the reservation and a system that checks that agents work, so its done right.

The value off this service far outways the cost. Travelers Advantage is a discount program that not only saves travelers money but provides them with 24 hour 365 days a year service by trained agents.