Complaint Review: Travelers Insurance

• Updated: Tue, July 23, 2013

• Reported By: Joseph — Seattle Washington
Travelers Insurance
Internet USA

Travelers Insurance Traveler's Auto InsuranceTraveler's Group Dropped Policy with NO warning, required to pay for months that wasn't covered Internet

*Consumer Comment: The rest of the story..

Today I found out that my insurance policy has been canceled two months ago.

Needless to say, I was very frustrated.  I relied on the company to give me written warning that my policy is about to be cancled so I can find other ways of insuring myself.

When I called to reinstate my policy, I was told that I had to pay for the two past months and only then I would be covered.  I would gladly have paid this amount if this whole time I was covered, but had I been in an accident, not only did they not cover me, they NEVER sent out a NOTICE!! And now, they want me to pay them, as if though they had covered me.

I had checked the website mytravelers.com regularly, and only after calling them today did it finally change to reflect that I had been dropped.  Prior to today, it displayed both policies and the words "amount due: $0.00" and under bill: "current".

I have never heard of a company requiring me to pay them as if though they took on the risk when in reality they did not.  How absurd.

Insurance companies shoud be required to have a waver form singed before dropping a client.  Can't believe for 2 months, I was uninsured, and instead of apoligizing, they want me to pay them as if they had me covered all along.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2013 11:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Travelers-Insurance/internet/Travelers-Insurance-Travelers-Auto-InsuranceTravelers-Group-Dropped-Policy-with-NO-warn-1069265. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Travelers Insurance

The rest of the story..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Seems like you are leaving some things off of your report.  Because it sounds like your policy was cancelled due to non-payment

You say you check the web site reguarly.  So why would you do that?  For most people they would do it at most once a month when they need to make a payment.  If you were doing it more than that..you obviously knew that something was up.  Perhaps you were gambling that you could extend out the time you must pay them..and lost the gamble.  If you are saying you were current and they want you to "double-pay" for those two months..you have a valid complaint.  But that is not what I think you are saying.

As for paying for the previous two months..that is how insurance works.  If you fail to have insurance coverage you are actually illegal in most states.   You also loose any "continuous coverage" discounts because of the two months of insurance lapse.  This discount in many cases can be significant.  If your car is financed your finance company has the right to put what is known as "Forced Placed" Insurance on your car for the time it was uninsured.  Even if that time had passed.  So yes..they can charge you for the 2 previous months.  The "Forced Placed" Insurance is VERY expensive where it can be several hundred dollars a month MORE than your regular insurance.  If you fail to pay this forced placed insurance the finance company has the right to reposess your car.

So right now it is most cost effective for you to pay for those 2 months so you have continuous coverage.   Then going forward ALWAYS pay your insurance on-time.