Complaint Review: Travelers Property Casualty Companies

• Submitted: Tue, November 27, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, November 28, 2007

• Reported By:Walton Kentucky
Travelers Property Casualty Companies
One Tower Square, 2GSA Hartford, Connecticut U.S.A.

Travelers Property Casualty Companies - Saint Paul Travelers Our home was built in 1992, and for the last 10 yrs we have made numerous repairs to our roof, at our expense. A bad leak developed in our bedroom, they did repair it, but our roof is in such poor condition it needs to be replaced. The claims adjuster said they had no intention of doing so and sighted poor construction, maintenance, faulty planning. Hartford Connecticut

*Consumer Comment: Who spends 10 years fixing roof?

After many instances of repairing our roof over 10 yrs, we developed a serious leak in our master bedroom and one in the garage. An adjuster did come out, we were sent a check to repair the roof and wallboard in the bedroom. After being out of town early in March, I came home to find we had more wind, thus more roof had blown off. I called a roofer he inspected our roof and determined the roof was in very poor condition and there had been hail damage.

Travelers sent their engineer out to inspect our roof, he determined our roof was in very poor condition, but it did not warrant replacing as the damage was due to much traffic and hammer marks which are similiar to hale marks. He also tried to make an attempt at humor with a joke about an older couple who got along so well, one was blind and the other deaf. My husband is 83 and I am 68, neither one of us are deaf or blind!

The adjuster sent a letter stating an exception in our policy that did not cover faulty planning, construction or maintenance. He determined the damage was due to excessive traffic and bad construction. How can they get away with this and how long can they claim this, and they could easily apply this to any home, no matter the age.

To date, the adjuster or the engineer have not addressed the leak in our garage, neither seemed to be interested in even checking out the leak.

Barb
Walton, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/27/2007 11:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Travelers-Property-Casualty-Companies/Hartford-Connecticut-06183/Travelers-Property-Casualty-Companies-Saint-Paul-Travelers-Our-home-was-built-in-1992-a-287285. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Travelers Property Casualty Companies

AUTHOR: Tony - (U.S.A.)

May I first say I do not know you or have anything to do with your house or your insurance company. I am not an insurance adjuster (thank Goodness!). I am just a concerned citizen.

I do feel for you and your situation, but I am also amazed by the fact that you spent 10 years fixing the roof. The roof should have been replaced if it needed replacing. Not put off for 10 years with a fix here and there. Most insurance companies pay for the damage done by the problem, but don't usually pay to fix the problem. Meaning if your pipe breaks in the basement and floods everywhere, they usually help with the clean up and getting everything dried up. If personal items are destroyed of value, they usually give you claim sheets to file your items on. They don't usually pay for the plumber to come out and fix the pipe. They usually say that is your bill to take care of.

It almost seems to me that you want your insurance company to pay for a new roof in exchange for the current one, that you have been fixing and repairing for the last 10 years. Now your expecting all the other people who have policies with your insurance provider to pay for your own negligence, and lack of looking after your home. If your roof is shot and you are limited on money, or your age is limiting you; see if family, friends or neighbors can help you put a new roof on. If you don't maintain your home it will eventually fall apart.

If your getting up in age and you can't maintain the home or afford it, then maybe look at down sizing and getting something with less maintenance. Just don't rip someone else off, warn your buyer that the roof needs work, reduce your price a bit to cover it. These are only ideas and suggestions, take it or leave it you will have to eventually deal with it all.