Complaint Review: Tread Quarters

• Submitted: Tue, September 19, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, December 16, 2008

• Reported By:williamsburg Virginia
Tread Quarters
340 Second St Williamsburg, Virginia U.S.A.

Tread Quarters Ripoff with a Side Order of Dishonesty Williamsburg Virginia

*Consumer Comment: It's know as DREAD Quarters!!

Tread Quarters, located in Willimsburg, VA, are by far the most dishonest set of people that I have ever encountered.

I called Tread Quarters on Thursday, the 14th of September and spoke with a gentleman by the name of Craig. I was getting a quote to replace, what I thought were my front brakes. He quoted me a price of around $280 plus tax. I told him I would bring it in the following day. He responded "bring it in anytime."

The Next day at 3:00pm, I brought in my car, and again spoke with Craig. This time Mike, the manager, started questioning me about what was wrong with the car. They both seemed to be very compassionate people. They took down my information and told me they would call before they began any kind of work.

At 4:00pm that same day, Mike called and informed me of the problem. In fact, it was not the front brakes, which were fine, it was the back brakes. Mike informed me the rear drums, the rear cylinders, and the rear shoes needed to be replaced along with a brake line flushing. Mike also said my lower ball joints neededto be replaced. The total, should they do the repair, would be $998 plus tax. I asked mike the price for just the brakes, and Mike gave me a price of $392 plus tax. I told him I only had $300 to work with, and mike replied "thats the price - take it or leave it." I told him that I would get back to him.

At 4:00pm, my bank had already closed, and would not reopen until monday, So, I tried diligently for 45 minutes to aquire the remainder of the money, but I couldn't aquire any. I called Mike back at 4:48pm and told him to put the car back together, because I did not want to leave it there being nuisance for the entire weekend. Mike said that was fine, and that I could pick it up in the morning when they open at 7:30am.

At 5:50pm I was told about a place called Brake King in Newport News, VA. Icalled them up and them what Tread Quarters had told me, and they quoted me a price of $266 plus tax. I made an appointment for 8:30am. I called Mike back and told him to leave the keys in the car and I would pick it up later tonight. He told me "absolutely not, you didn't even have the courtesy to call me back to tell what you were doing with the car." This conversation is taking place after I had already told them, over an hour ago, to put it back together. He asked me why I was lying to him about calling, and why I wasted his time with taking the car apart when I knew I wasn't going to pay for it. I told him that I did call, and before I could anything out, he said "You did not call me, and you wasted my guys time, your car will be put back together when we get to tomorrow, and the conversation is now over." I tried calling back, but when found it was me calling, he hung up on me. I want to make known, they advertise a for free brake dignostic check.

The next day I picked my car up at 9:45am, and brought it to the Brake King. I gave them a copy of what Tread Quarters found, and then they did there own brake diagnostics check, and as it turns, my lower ball joints were perfectly fine. In the end, the job only cost me $266 tax included, as opposed to $431.20.

Brian
williamsburg, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/19/2006 08:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tread-Quarters/Williamsburg-Virginia-23185/Tread-Quarters-Ripoff-with-a-Side-Order-of-Dishonesty-Williamsburg-Virginia-211721. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tread Quarters

To all,

Even though I do not know the complete story of this incident, what I will say is that I became the manager of the store in Aug of 2008. I am a retired military individual and will ensure that all customers are treated with complete respect and understanding.

Our business does offer free inspections on brakes and alignment checks. Work is not completed without permission and/or prior to an estimate being given. If you feel that you have had an injustice done, I do request that you contact me first and we will come to an understanding in a respectful manner.

I would even ask the writer of this article to contact me if he is still in the area.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

It's not just the Williamsburg Dread Quarters, it's all of them. Last place you'd ever want to bring your car.

Their reputation in Hampton Roads is nil and they don't seem to care. They're just basic crooks.