Complaint Review: Trinity College Of The Bible And Theological Seminary

• Submitted: Mon, January 01, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, January 11, 2013

• Reported By:Powell Wyoming
Trinity College Of The Bible And Theological Seminary
4233 Medwel Drive Newburgh, Indiana U.S.A.

Trinity College Of The Bible And Theological Seminary Diploma Mill Scam elaborate and convincing until too late Ripoff Newburgh Indiana

*Consumer Comment: Trinity Theological Seminary 2014 Report

*Consumer Comment: NOT a mill

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Trinity Theological Seminary Great School!

*Consumer Comment: Trinity College and Seminary - Accreditation

*Consumer Comment: Former Trinity Student

*Consumer Comment: A different experience at Trinity

*Consumer Comment: Trinity Seminary in Newburgh, IN is great

*General Comment: Trinity Bible College/Seminary in Newburgh, IN is a great school. The nasty claim is untrue and unfair.

*General Comment: Proud to be a Trinity Graduate!

*Consumer Comment: Experience at Trinity

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Trinity is Great

*Author of original report: Scam

*Author of original report: Resolved

Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary is a diploma mill scam located in Newburgh, IN. Trinity offers religious education over the internet (no on campus classes). Trinity appears legitimate at first glance, but after research and experience it has become apparent that Trinity is a scam.

Trinity has fraudulent accreditation from the National Association of Private Nontraditional Schools and Colleges. The NAPNSC is an accreditation mill having been rejected for recognition by the Department of Education seven times and dropping out of the Departments program many more times.

Trinity appears legitimate and even has some coursework, but it is all designed by "adjunct faculty" who are probably not aware that Trinity is a diploma mill. One Pastor who was hired as a grader for Trinity confesses that Trinity told him "if a student pays they get an a." When I was attending Trinity I realized that my assignments were not being graded (except those sent to adjunct faculty unaware of the scam). I began purposefully omitting large portions of assignments and putting messages in my assignments. They were all returned with a grader of 100% and a general comment like "nice work."- No one noticed entire chapters worth of questions simply missing.

On one occation I contacted a "professor." He was obviously unaware of the class I was supposedly taking from him. He did not know what materials were needed or even the basic concept of the class. He told me he "taught so many classes he couldn't keep track of all of them." This was the first red flag.

When I realized Trinity was a scam I reported them to the better business bureau, but what Trinity does is not illegal per se it is simply unethical and immoral. Trinity responded by expelling me for "improper Christian conduct" under Indiana law if you get expelled you are still responsible for all financial obligations to an institution. I was expelled for use of the words "hell" and "damn" in e-mails.

There is really nothing anyone can do to stop Trinity, but I hope to make others aware of the scam being pulled.

Jeremy
Powell, Wyoming

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/01/2007 12:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trinity-College-Of-The-Bible-And-Theological-Seminary/Newburgh-Indiana-47630/Trinity-College-Of-The-Bible-And-Theological-Seminary-Diploma-Mill-Scam-elaborate-and-conv-228156. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Trinity College Of The Bible And Theological Seminary

Trinity Theological Seminary 2014 Report

AUTHOR: Chappy - ()

Dear Readers;

As a recent graduate of the DRS (Doctor of religious Studies) program I am elated to bring good news regarding Trinity Theological Seminary.

The institution indeed has had accreditation problems in the distant past, but not to the extent as some might assume. The seminary provides quality education parrallel with other seminaries of similar studies. Albeit, Trinity is not regionally or nationally accredited that is within their purview.

In order to perceive and visualize the true worth of an education requires one to think beyond the walls and concepts of traditional academia. Trinity does not need accrediattion in the sense that one might perceive secular degrees. On a resume one needs to only list the institute and write in a brief caveat regarding accreditation.

This is my chance to prove that Trinity is indeed a legitimate and worthy institute of biblical and religious studies. The State of Indiana does not require religious academies, seminaries etc. to seek higher educational approval as they are a religious exempt entity. This is good for Trinity, and at the same time bad for Trinity as there are some almost "diploma mill" religious schools in the nation. The litmus test for a great seminary is the amount of time, and work  required by its students. You cannot obtain a 90 day degree at Trinity  My doctorate with dissertation took 9 years to achieve.

It was recommended by a HR specialist to attach the folowing wording to any resume. You may fill in the blanks as needed with your personal information. My degree is now working for me, and I know that if everyone follows this format that it will work for them.

Example

Trinity Theological Seminary and College of the Bible                                                                                 Earned (Research  Degree Title, e.g. ThD, BA, AS)  Years of attendace: e.g. 2009- 2013                               White Paper Accredited under authotity of the IN State Constitution, Art.1, Sec. 2,3,4. Religious exemption.

These words will show that Trinity is not RA or NA accredited, but informs the potential employer that Tinity is not a diploma mill by any means. In fact, it will posit the fact that Trinity is worthy academic setting requiring time, and completed coursework. In will inform the potential employer that one cannot buy a degree at Trinity and that any conferred degree must truly be earned.

NOT a mill

AUTHOR: mixdown - ()

In 2007, Mr. Powell stated that a class action lawsuit would be forthcoming.  We are still waiting.

Clearly, Mr. Powell had a personal beef with Trinity and attaempted a spiteful, yet isolated and misguided attempt at revenge.  As a student of Trinity, my grades have indeed been A's, but they have been well earned through countless hours of study and effort, and graded assignments have been accompanied by many comment proving that my work had been reviewed (to the point of even being a bit "nitpicky" at times, the mark of a true professor).

While I am not without my own, insignificant criticisms, Trinity provides a service that is difficult to otherwise find in the world of Christian education: quality, distance-based studies.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Trinity Theological Seminary Great School!

AUTHOR: Dr. Jim Johnson - ()

My experience as a student was certainly not negative. Quite the contrary. After earning my MA at Western Michigan University I earned a Ph.D. at Trinity Theological Seminary in Newburgh Indiana. I found the faculty bright and committed to the me as a student who was studying via distance. They have a real handle on how this is done and do a great job. I found the academics rigorous and at times very challenging. The other students I have met while at regional educational seminars and at the Newburgh Campus were impressive, often with very impressuve academic and career credentials. I found a staff that works hard and impressed me with their Christian commitment and passion. I believe that their accreditation challenges are not unusual for a school that offers non-traditional services and I have confidence that will all work out. Many schools in this country went years with different accreditations as they matured. I have a close friemd who also earned a doctoral degree at Trinity. He and I both had to work very hard to not only finish our course work but to complete our dissertations. I am a BIG FAN of Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary. At graduation ceremonies we were able to meet our professors and their families. I am thankful they are in business as a very credible and affordable educational institution.

Trinity College and Seminary - Accreditation

AUTHOR: C.B.Ross (Rev) - ()

@Scott in Canada - Truro (Canada)

"It has no academic accreditation with any recognized association ..."

This is absolute nonsense.  When I followed my M.Div. Course, it was accredited by the University of Liverpool, U.K.  This is most definitely not the sort of educational establishment that would provide such accreditation without having rigorously checked the courses, and the faculty.  It is an established British University, with a fine reputation - that it would not have allowed to be sullied by any association with an inferior institution!

Former Trinity Student

AUTHOR: Scott in Canada - ()

I can confirm most of the original article.  I was enrolled for awhile at Trinity.  The courses are in no way comparable to a "real school".  I took a 6-hour, 1-day video conference course - completed some super-simple multiple choice questions, and got credit for a supposedly university Master's level course!  It wasn't cheap either.  A complete waste of time and money.

This place is all about making money - its "faculty advisors" are nothing but telemarketers.  If enroll for a "degree program" they fee you to death.  It has no academic accreditation with any recognized association.  If you apply for a job or missionary work or further academic study - anyone who knows anything will be aware you have a bogus degree - and it will be completely useless - no one recognizes it.  Spend a little more - get a real degree from a recognized institution.

A different experience at Trinity

AUTHOR: Dave - ()

My experience was very different than that reported here.  I have a BS degree from Buffalo State, MS degree from Texas A&M and professional licenses from the FAA.  I have attended courses on campus at Trinity where 2 days were spent in lecture and testing.  Pre & post seminar work was required.  I have 19 hrs at Trinity and never remember a paper being returned where it was not obvious that the instructor had read it.  There were comments written in the margins throughout.  For exams taken off campus, a form was required that had to be signed by a proctor in an educational institution.  I used the librarian at a local College.  I have taken courses from traditional regionally accredited seminaries and the work at Trinity was at least the equal of these and better than some.

I have stopped pursuing my degree at Trinity due to current pastoral work load.  My only concern with them was their lengthy accreditation effort.  As far as the charge that Trinity is a degree mill, my experience indicates that could not be further from the truth.

David C

Memphis, TN

Trinity Seminary in Newburgh, IN is great

AUTHOR: Michael - ()

I have been a student at Trinity Seminary since 2005.  I would describe it as anything but a diploma mill.  The highest ethical standards are rigorously upheld, often much to my dismay when I had to travel 40 miles to take a proctored exam.  Points taken away for punctuation in a 40-page document can be disheartening.  The emphasis was on competency in all facets of the ministry.  Looking back, I can appreciate the importance of producing well-rounded graduates.  Yes, they can be persnickety at times,  But in a world of compromise, it's nice to see someone insist on students taking the high road.  I recently graduated and as I look back on the training I received, the support provided and the "whole student" approach they take, I would have to say it was worth every penny, punctuation and mile I invested!  The members of the faculty are dedicated and they take their mission very seriously.  I have developed some wonderful personal and relationships with students and faculty alike.

I'm not sure where the fellow from Wyoming went, but it wasn't to Trinity Seminary.

Peace and Blessings,

Michael

#8 General Comment

AUTHOR: my brother''s keeper - (United States of America)

Far from being a diploma mill and a scam, Trinity is a pioneer in the area of distance education and does offer quality classes on their 7 building campus.  However, Trinity's strength is distance education.

Trinity has a very skilled and competent teaching staff and they have satisfied graduates all over the world.  They do an exceptional job in Bible training and relevant education for Christian ministry.

I personally am a student at Trinity and would highly recommend them.  I am a retired college educator myself being in college administration, college teaching, and college guidance counseling.  I am well versed in the makings of a good collegiate program.  I have attended Trinity for several years now and have not seen the "junk" that the author of the article claims to have seen.  I received good instruction both on campus and through distance learning and the cost was very reasonable.

I regret the "bad press" that Trinity has received.  To my knowledge, the charges are very unfair and very false.  The individual evidently had personal problems and some "axes to grind" and rather than approach the nice folks at Trinity, he took his pen out and did a smear job.  I will graduate from Trinity in 2013 and will proudly walk across the stage to receive my Trinity diploma.

#9 General Comment

Proud to be a Trinity Graduate!

AUTHOR: C.B.Ross (Rev) - (United Kingdom)

Along with others, I do not recognise the Trinity College and Seminary portrayed in the original article.  I hold a Master's degree in Divinity (with Distinction) from Trinity.

I also hold a Master's degree in Science from The University of Strathclyde (Scotland), along with my B.A. (Hons) from The Open University; the Licentiate in Theology from The University of Glasgow; the Associateship of The Philosophical Society of England; the Diploma of The Bible Training Institute, Glasgow; a Diploma in Management and Leadership in Education from The University of Strathclyde; the Certificate in Secondary Education (Religious and Moral Education, and History) from Moray House College of Education, Edinburgh; and the Certificate in Management in Education from The University of Strathclyde.

All of that was not in order to boast, but merely to make the point that I have had considerable experience at undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels in education.

I can honestly say that my M.Div, was the qualification for which I had to work hardest, and write most!  I attended some residential courses here in the UK, and the rest of the work was completed as distance learning - something with which I was already familiar through my studies with The Open University.  The College was, in my time, fully accredited by The University of Liverpool - certainly no "degree-mill"!  I had a tutor, based in London, with whom I could communicate by telephone, as well as by e-mail and 'snail-mail'.

I look on my M.Div. as being the 'academic crown' among all of my qualifications.

Mr Powell may be confusing a legitimate academic establishment with something else bearing a similar name!

Experience at Trinity

AUTHOR: Dave - (USA)

My experience was very different than reported here.  I have a BS degree from Buffalo State, MS degree from Texas A&M and professional licenses from the FAA.  I have attended courses on campus at Trinity where 2 days were spent in lecture and testing.  Pre & post seminar work was required.  I have 19 hrs at Trinity and never had a paper returned where it was not obvious that the instructor had read it.  There were comments written in the margins throughout.  For exams taken off campus, a form was required that had to be signed by a proctor in an educational institution.  I used the librarian at a local College.  I have taken courses from traditional regionally accredited seminaries and the work at Trinity was at least the equal of these and better than some.

I have stopped pursuing my degree at Trinity due to current pastoral work load.  My concern with them is the lengthy accreditation effort with DOE.  As far as the charge that Trinity is a degree mill, my experience indicates that could not be further from the truth.   Additionally, during my on campus time no student ever hinted of that.

David
Memphis, TN

#11 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Trinity is Great

AUTHOR: my brother''s keeper - (United States of America)

(written by a current satisfied Trinity Student)

Jeremy from Wyoming is entirely and blatantly wrong.  I'm a student at Trinity and it has been a wonderful college and seminary for me.  I have attended many colleges/universities over the years and Trinity rates very high in academic quality and scholarly expertise.  It is certainly not the dimploma mill that Jeremy described and he did a great school a great injustice by writing his "gripe letter".  Trinity has pioneered the distance learning approach and has an outstanding faculty and curriculum.

Jeremy, don't use your "sour grapes approach", to slam a great school with a wonderful Christian ministry.  I will have my PhD from Trinity this next year and I feel very well academically prepared.  By the way, every paper that I've submitted to Trinity and every examination taken has been scrutinized and given great attention.

Jeremy is wrong, wrong, wrong in his comments on grading.  The academic rigor of Trinity's programs are every bit as high as top-rated state universities and the grading for me has always been fair and constructive.

Trinity will have full accreditation in January of 2011 and this will greatly help the growth of this great college and seminary.  Also, I have received excellent financial assistance at Trinity and their tuition and fees are extremely reasonable.

For someone looking for a conservative, spiritually-alive, customer-friendly, academically-sound, effective distance-learning approach, low cost/high quality institution, Trinity College and Seminary in Newburgh may be for you.  Please don't listen to the doom-sayer guy from Wyoming.

AUTHOR: Jack - (U.S.A.)

I have been taking Distance Learning Classes from Trinity Seminary, Indiana, since 1996. Believe me, the classes have a syllabus, lectures, and course requirements that involve extensive reading and reporting, along with multiple research papers, along with a final exam that requires a proctor. It actually took me longer to complete Trinity courses than if I had attended classroom education.

The research papers were always read in their entirety. How do I know this? There are red ink corrections, suggestions, and comments throughout. An A-grade is not always the outcome. Trinity does not pretend that the course-work is always graded by the class professor. Sometimes my papers were graded by the professor who produced the lectures, while at other times, the papers are graded by an adjunt course grader with a particular expertise in that paper's subject.

Yes, it is true that Trinity is not accredited by a governmental regional agency, but that does not mean that it is a degree mill or an illegitimate school. For what it was set up to do, Trinity offers Distance Learning for those who cannot attend classes due to family or location problems.

They are currently being considered for regional accreditation by a governmental agency. Yes, it would be nice for them to be accredited, but the quality of the education has not been a problem for me

Trinity is not a degree mill. Believe me, if you take a Trinity course on the same subject from an accredited school, you will come away from that class thinking you earned those credit hours.

I am dumbfounded as to how Jeremy Powell of Wyoming, USA could have had such a negative experience. There are thousands of Trinity students out in the secular and religious job market that have benefitted from Trinity studies. When the college and seminary receive the regional accreditation, Jeremy will be shown to have an agenda that is less than truthful.

Scam

AUTHOR: Jeremy - (U.S.A.)

I recently was threatened with a lawsuit for filing my report against Trinity for posting on this website. However, the school is a scam and I hope that enough time has passed that they are no longer watching for me to report them somewhere. There is a class action lawsuit against Trinity in the works for the kind of infractions mentioned above. DO NOT GIVE THESE CROOKS A DIME. You will never see it again and they will threaten you if you try to expose them. However with the lawsuit in the works they can hardly claim that I am somehow unilaterally defaming them. Watch out and don't let them get you. I apologize for being less than truthful in my last update, but they really had me scared; however I am now confident that they have no legal recourse against me and I stand by my original post.

Resolved

AUTHOR: Jeremy - (U.S.A.)

The initial report filed against this school was regretably the result of a misunderstanding and a conflict with a specific individual at Trinity. The issue has since been resolved and according to Trinity staff they are still pursuing accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission.