Complaint Review: Trip Mate Insurance

Trip Mate Insurance

Trip Mate Insurance Do NOT use Trip Mate Insurance Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Worked for me

*UPDATE Employee: Explanation

I want to get the word out that people should not to use Trip Mate Travel Insurance. I suffered an injury over a year ago while in St. Lucia which required surgery. I have filed numerous claims with Trip Mate re: Trip Interruption and Medical. When I called them from St. Lucia, I had to leave a message, and they never contacted me back re: Trip Interruption and my injury. When I did get in touch with them, they told me they do not make phone calls outside the US. WOW. Why provide services to people
traveling outside the US? They would not reimburse my trip through the trip interruption policy because I checked into the Sandals resort. They told me if I had checked in somewhere else, they would have reimbursed the claim.

Now on to the medical, I have bills over $10,000 and have been waiting for over a month to receive an answer about these medical bills and if they are or are not going to reimburse me. They have paid some of the medical bills, but requested more information regarding the other bills. I have sent all the required information according to the policy and am still waiting over a month for an answer regarding my medical bills.

I would advise people not to even use this company! Customer service is TERRIBLE!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2013 09:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trip-Mate-Insurance/internet/Trip-Mate-Insurance-Do-NOT-use-Trip-Mate-Insurance-Internet-1022348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Trip Mate Insurance

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Worked for me

AUTHOR: Bob P - ()

I read a bunch of negative reviews here and on other sites (after we filed our claim) so I was expecting the worst.
In fact, everything went very smoothly. I don't know if this is because we bought it through GCT, which sends thousands of dollars business to them, or not.
The bottom line is: My wife and I had to cancel our trip because of an immediate family member (not one going on the trip) being admitted to the hospital 3 days before we were scheduled to leave on our GCT trip to Europe.
I called GCT and they gave me a claim number. They said it would take about 30 days to receive my money back. I called TripMate and gave them the claim number and plan number. They faxed me the claim form which I filled out and faxed back the same day.
TripMate never called me for extra paperwork, they never called the doctor or hospital (to my knowledge) for verification.  One nice thing is you never have to speak to anyone; you can check the claim process on line with your claim number.  I watched the process go through, on line and we got 100% of our money back today, 28 days after I filed.
The check arrived in time to pay the credit card charge for our re-booked trip that leaves 3 weeks from now so I'm a happy camper!

I do have to say that there are different plans that Trip Mate offers on their website and the ones that don't cover as much are less expensive. So read the fine print, before you sign up. We bought the only plan that GCT Travel offers which is probably the most expensive plan you can purchase at Trip Mate and covers the most contingencies, so keep this in mind.

Explanation

AUTHOR: TripMate - (United States of America)

Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on the phone about your claim. We are sorry to hear both about the accident and that you are unhappy with the claims process afterward. We aim to provide peace of mind with our travel insurance policies and want to make sure your issues are addressed.

As we discussed on the phone, our records indicate the first payment was made on your claim in March of 2012. We are not able to make payments without complete information, however, and itemized bills with matching Explanations of Benefits are needed for review of medical bills. We apologize if we caused any stress by requesting additional information, but it is necessary to ensure the correct amounts are paid to you and the medical suppliers.

We would appreciate your telling us which phone number you used to call our office when
you were in St. Lucia. Our toll-free phone number does not have an answering machine. Instead, our
after-hours service provider answers all phone calls made after regular business hours, and they are able to make and receive international phone calls. Again, please let us know which phone number you called so that we can further investigate this situation.

As we outlined in the correspondence sent with your benefit check, there are some charges for prescriptions for which we need additional information. If we can do anything else to assist you in obtaining these documents, we will be happy to do so.  If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,