Complaint Review: Tropical Sails

• Updated: Sat, September 29, 2012

• Reported By: PhilipSeldon — New York New York United States of America
Tropical Sails
18189 W Weatherby Dr. Surprise, Arizona United States of America

Tropical Sails Daniel Oppliger Tropical Sails Ripped Me Off and the hotel agreed making me a refund - Daniel Oppliger is a cheat and a crook - BEWARE Surprise, Arizona

Daniel Oppliger, owner of Tropical Sails Corp., had a hotel charge my American Express card for an unauthorized charge. This charge was in excess of his brochure price. I told the hotel that Daniel Oppliger was a cheat and a crook and that he overcharged me. The hotel agreed with me and gave me a refund of the difference between what he had them charge me and his brochure price. Daniel Oppliger is a disreputable businessman, a cheat and a crook.

Here's the story:

Tropical Sails, owned by Daniel Oppliger, advertised a Transit of Venus tour in its brochure for four nights with three breakfasts, a Luau, porterage, taxes and an event shirt for $469 per person double occupancy and $769 single occupancy at the Royal Lahaina Resort in Maui, Hawaii. The transit was on June 6, 2012.

I signed up for the single occupancy for $769 for four nights with the Luau, taxes and event shirt only to discover that Dan had the hotel charge my credit card for $921.69. And I never got the event shirt promised.

I never authorized Dan to have the hotel charge my card, only to have Tropical Sails charge my card and only for the $769. I was overcharged and cheated by Daniel Oppliger who earned a hefty commission from the hotel.

I asked Daniel Oppliger to refund me the $152.69 overcharge in an email and got this email response:

You are Royal Lahaina's client, not ours. Please direct your concerns to them and do not contact me again. You have wasted enough of our time and we should bill you for reservation and other services provided. Thank you.

Daniel F Oppliger
Tropical Sails Corp
18189 W Weatherby Dr
Surprise, AZ 85374-7315"

I was not Royal Lahaina's client but Tropical Sails and I never made my reservation with Royal Lahaina. I had not heard of Royal Lahaina before dealing with Tropical Sails. Daniel Oppliger is a cheat and a scam artist as you can see from his response above. He had the hotel charge me $921.69 for the four nights that he advertised for $769. Daniel Oppliger is a crook.
Considering the hefty commission Daniel Oppliger earned from the hotel he could easily have refunded the $152.69 overcharge but he chose not to do so preferring to cheat me. He is a disreputable businessman and a rogue.

If you want to go on an astronomy tour for a Solar Eclipse or to view the Northern Lights I recommend that you consider the trips by MWT - MelitaTrips (www.melitatrips.com) or Sky and Telescope Magazine or Astronomy Magazine or the other tour companies that advertise in these two magazines.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2012 01:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tropical-Sails/Surprise-Arizona-85374/Tropical-Sails-Daniel-Oppliger-Tropical-Sails-Ripped-Me-Off-and-the-hotel-agreed-making-me-948487. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tropical Sails