Complaint Review: Turbo Tax

• Updated: Tue, April 12, 2011

• Reported By: Swiss — Royal Oak Michigan United States of America
Turbo Tax
2700 Coast Avenue Mountain View, California United States of America

Turbo Tax Intuit Inc If TurboTax Actually Worked Maybe It Wouldn't Be Such A Ripoff! Mountain View, California

If TurboTax worked as it should, I might not be complaining about the exhorbitant price TT charged for doing my fairly simple 2010 Personal/Business return.  I receive a meager Social Security Check which I supplement by supplying work to an online print-on-demand store, so every penny counts.

First problem:  I was unable to edit the business section of my return.  Spent 45 minutes on a merry-go-round clicking from one page to another and back again looking for the non-existent "Edit" button which the instruction promised I'd find...with sidetrips to their worthless "support" faqs section.  Lots of other people had the same problem.   The answers supplied were worthless.  The software obviously has bug which needs to be fixed.  Since the problem is months old, it's obvious TT is not lifting a finger to fix it.  Users cannot edit the business "home office" section once it has been completed!

Second problem:  My rent was adjusted three times in 2010.  I paid the same landlord three different rates for three 4-month periods.  On the State Tax portion of my returns, I entered the complete information for each of the three periods.  But it turns out that TT only used TWO of these periods.  So, I did not get credit for four months-worth of rent.

Third problem:  There is NO worthwhile support...unless you want to pay an additional $39.95 to speak to someone on the phone.  One would think that for the money charged, there would be "free" phone support or at least Live Chat support.

I have no idea how much Federal and State tax I would've paid if TurboTax would've been performing properly.  I only know that it would've less than I ended up paying.   For screwing up my taxes, TurboTax charged me $148.30 (online preparation).

I wonder if HR Block's is any better.  I guess I will find out next year...because this is the last time I use Turbo Tax.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/12/2011 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Turbo-Tax/Mountain-View-California-94043-1140/Turbo-Tax-Intuit-Inc-If-TurboTax-Actually-Worked-Maybe-It-Wouldnt-Be-Such-A-Ripoff-Moun-716764. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Turbo Tax