Complaint Review: Turbotxt Inc.

• Submitted: Thu, February 14, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, February 20, 2013

• Reported By: Arthur — Tooele Utah United States of America
Turbotxt Inc.
1148 Pulaski Highway, Suite 405, Bear, DE 19701 Bear, Delaware United States of America

Turbotxt Inc. turbotxt.com Hidden/sneaky opt in on an Android phone app, resulting in $9.99/mo charge for the last 19 months. Bear, Delaware

*Author of original report: Full refund promised

*UPDATE Employee: TurboTxt Customer Service Response

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me 19 months to notice that there was an odd $9.99 monthly charge on my wife's Sprint cell phone bill.  I called Sprint, who gave me the name and number of the vendor.

I called the vendor, and once I convinced the agent that I wasn't interested in learning more about the benefits of their "service", the agent explained that since they have a "double opt-in" system to assure that only those who want the subscription actually get it, there was nothing she could do except cancel the subscription.

As I explained that while "double opt-in" is standard for websites, it meaningless in the context of text messaging, she softened her stance, and offered to refund the most recent three months' charge, "...because everything older than that is now in the archives...".

I should mention that I disclosed at the beginning of the call that I was recording it.  Utah doesn't require that, but I think Delaware does.

I reminded her that the call was being recorded, and that I understood that she by offering to cancel the subscription and refund the most recent three months' charges, she was acknowledging that no binding commitment was made (in June 2011).  She confirmed that that was the case, but that she couldn't refund more because of the archive thing...  I asked for a mailing address to which legal notices should be mailed, and she gave me:

1148 Pulaski Highway, Suite 405, Bear, Delaware 19701

She sounded much more contrite at this point, and offered to have "someone from the corporate offices" call me regarding refunding the earlier charges, and promised a call within "48 business hours".  I confirmed that I would wait until COB Monday, Feb 18th, to file a formal complaint with

State of Delaware
Delaware Department of Justice
Consumer Protection Division
Carvel State Office Bldg.
820 N. French St.
Wilmington, DE 19801

We'll see how it goes...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2013 03:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Turbotxt-Inc/Bear-Delaware-19701/Turbotxt-Inc-turbotxtcom-Hiddensneaky-opt-in-on-an-Android-phone-app-resulting-in-99-1014389. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Turbotxt Inc.

Full refund promised

AUTHOR: Arthur - (United States of America)

While I can't be sure whether it was prompted by my conversation with customer support, or my posting on RR, I received a call from a corporate representative yesterday (2/19) indicating that a refund check in the amount equal to the total payments made.  Assuming the check arrives and clears, I'll consider this matter closed.

I did contact Sprint to request that no third-party chargeable apps be allowed on any of the phones my my account, lessening that likelihood of inadvertent opting in going forward.

TurboTxt Customer Service Response

AUTHOR: Tipsteria Customer Service - (United States of America)

By way of background, TurboTxt is a premium mobile text service that provides its subscribers with weekly tips on the use of their smart phone which is sent via text message to their mobile phone.  The service is marketed via the mobile web. We currently charge $9.99 a month which appears on our subscribers mobile phone bills.  We use an industry best practice double opt-in sign up process which is fully compliant with the Consumer Best Practices Guidelines published by the Mobile Marketing Association and the various guidelines published by the major mobile phone carriers and the CTIA.  It is important to note that the double opt-in process virtually insures that inadvertent or fraudulent sign-ups do not occur.  Only after a consumer has twice provided verification and authorization to bill their mobile telephone number on their mobile phone are services provided and charges incurred.  To further verify a prospective customer's registration for the TurboTxt service, we send a confirmatory text message which affords them the opportunity to cancel the service by replying STOP by text message.  We also provide a toll free customer service number in this text message that is manned 24 by 7 by 365. Please be advised that in our marketing of the service, we disclose all material terms of the service including the monthly cost, how the charges will appear on the subscribers mobile bill, a description of the essential features of the service and how to cancel.  We also include links to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.  Should you require further assistance, please contact Customer Service at 877-399-5691.