Complaint Review: Twins Van Lines

• Updated: Mon, August 25, 2008

• Reported By:Buford Georgia
Twins Van Lines
Rockville, Maryland U.S.A.

Twins Van Lines Moving Company Ripoff! Quoted 3200 for move charged $7000 Late delivery Rockville Maryland

*Consumer Comment: Twins is a Classic Scam Mover

*Consumer Comment: Estimates are not Definite - That's why it's called an ESTIMATE!

Twin Van Lines quoted me approximately $3200 for a move from Lansdale, Pa to Buford, Ga. They picked up a few articles early and stored it to me "free" per the owner....They picked up the balance of my furniture - and when all was loaded into a Ryder truck, the man sat me on the floor - explained that the estimate was off and why - and that for the move I owed him $7000 right then paid in full- for tape, boxes, etc (I had boxed most of my stuff myself ahead of time - this was tape for wrapping around the blankets, etc.).

They indicated that they would deliver to my home on Monday....they called on Monday and said that they couldn't deliver until Tuesday ...then Tuesday morning said it would be Wednesday - after complaining - they did agree to deliver it Tuesday afternoon. The truck arrived at my home - (again a Ryder)....two men who told me that they had been on the road for 14 hours and had another delivery that day after mine - unloaded the furniture - there was some damage but not to anything real expensive so I didn't say anything..then their truck broke down in the middle of my street blocking traffic for over two hours during rush hour...this whole event was a moving nightmare - the loaders and unloaders were very nice and kind - but they killed me with kindness - and then charged me over twice what they quoted - and were late on top of that....

I sent an email to them a month or so after the move - but got absolutely no response. I would never recommend this company to anyone - have found out since that you never pay up front - that rental trucks like Ryder generally indicate a fly by night company - and that quotes generally are binding unless you add more furniture at the last minute to the move. A Very Expensive lesson for me!

Carol
Buford, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2006 09:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Twins-Van-Lines/Rockville-Maryland-20847/Twins-Van-Lines-Moving-Company-Ripoff-Quoted-3200-for-move-charged-7000-Late-delivery-215022. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Twins Van Lines

Twins is a Classic Scam Mover

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Carol, you should know that Lori works for Twins; the company is registered in Rockville, MD with offices in a few different locations. I'm not exactly sure how you found them (the internet, perhaps?), but you should have found a mover close to your location in PA and had an in-home estimate that would have been binding on the mover, and certainly guaranteed, not-to-exceed the quote. Lori's company could never bind the quote because they NEVER saw the items to be shipped, and an inventory list is a bogus way of doing a survey (because you as the consumer cannot do a survey the same way a mover can and will, and they rely on your inability to adequately do the survey as a way to jack the price around). In fact, any quote you received from her company (and any company on the internet) should have been cut into 4" squares and placd in the bathroom.

The fact they showed up in a Budget Rent-a-Truck is not a sign of a fly-by-night necessarily (though it can be - you are correct); it simply means in their case, that they lacked the resources to perform the move, which is also a bad sign. Reputable moving companies NEVER show up to do a Household Good move in a rent-a-truck, otherwise they would never do the move. I'll bet if you had contacted a reputable mover - the move would certainly NOT have cost you $7000 - that's for certain.

You were fortunate in that the internet is littered with the chaos caused by the people at Twins, including (1) moves where they delivered someone else's items to the shipper, damage all of the furniture, and then had a mover steal the shipper's box of pennies (mover admitted as such), (2) classic scam similar to what happened to you, and (3) mover failing to secure the items in the truck and damaging everything inside the truck, not to mention a water leak in the trailer from the rain causing everything in the boxes to be waterlogged and destroyed.

The state of Maryland is well known as a prime location of scam movers in the country. Consumers would be well advised to stick with the large, reputable, and well known moving companies to perform your move. Moving is not an inexpensive venture and looking for a mover on the internet will almost guarantee you will be scammed. Once you have movers see what it is that needs to be moved - then you can look on the internet for what is said about a mover.

Best of luck to you.

Estimates are not Definite - That's why it's called an ESTIMATE!

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

To whom it may concern,

I recently moved from accross the country and had such a positive experience with Twins Moving and Storage that I had to make sure I voiced my opinion! Being that no one was able to view my house and items as I had prepared them before the move, they provided me with an estimate. I informed them with as much detail as possible, but in the end I had not properly packed and prepared my items for the long haul so they had to do some rearranging for me. And still my final outcome was $1100 dollars less than the estimate (it took less time than anticipated). What others need to realize is that moving is not cheap and it's not easy. Weight of furniture, actual sizes, and time will vary. I also have always had to pay upfront. I remember the sales person telling me at Twins that he had to receive payment first because some people will have the move done and once all the furniture is out will refuse to pay. Then the movers are stuck and don't want to have to move all the stuff again.

And by the way, I own my own company with vehicles and sometimes have to rent vehicles instead of using the companies...this does not mean that I'm a "fly by night" company. Rather it means that I'm willing to do anything I can to accommodate my customers.

So yes, was your move expensive...maybe. But do you think the price was unreasonable? Sounds like you had A LOT to move!

L