Complaint Review: U-Haul @ Empire Car & Suvs Rentals

• Updated: Tue, November 11, 2008

• Reported By:Toronto Ontario
U-Haul @ Empire Car & Suvs Rentals
2325 Keele Street Toronto, Ontario Canada

U-Haul & Empire Car & Suvs Rentals Fraudulent Charges! 2325 Keele Street, Toronto Sudden non-advertised weekend rate AND charging me for miles what I drove in Kilometres!!!! Toronto Ontario

*UPDATE Employee: I would like to help.

First problem: Reserved a truck for 8:00 AM on a Sunday. Showed up on time only to be met by lots of other angry people when we find the location closed. After some cell phone calls someone finally comes, about 45 minutes later.

Second problem: Reservation e-mail and the website for U-Haul state that the charges are 49 cents/kilometre. They tell me that is the week rate, that on the weekend the rate is 69 cents/kilometre. I refuse to accept this - nowhere does it state there is a weekend rate. The guy makes a big production about how he'll help me out and reduce the charges to the week rate.

Third, and biggest, problem: Drove the truck 222 kms. I know it is this far because I followed in another vehicle. Also, mapping the routes before and after the trip give the same number of KMs driven. They have billed me as if I have driven 222 MILES - thus a much higher charge. They tell me the truck is registered in Arizona so the odometer is in miles. I told them this cannot be true - I KNOW how far I drove. (I am not arguing with the numbers on the odometer, but rather that I know it isn't in miles!!!!!). They told me to "prove it". You just KNOW that they know they are screwing people over but they seem to think they can get away with it.

When I called the head office the girl I spoke to couldn't understand how to convert KMS to MILES and vice-versa. She finally told me to take 222 and divide it by 1.6. I said, yes, that gives me 138 miles. Charge me your per-mile rate for 138 not 222, which is the kilometers. She got all flustered and basically rushed through a statement that she is passing my complaint along and someone will call me and then hung up.

I am in awe of how poorly this company has presented and conducted itself. I will never, nor shall anyone I can ever tell this story to, use this company again.

JG
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/2008 06:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul-Empire-Car-Suvs-Rentals/Toronto-Ontario/U-Haul-Empire-Car-Suvs-Rentals-Fraudulent-Charges-2325-Keele-Street-Toronto-Sudden-n-388032. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul @ Empire Car & Suvs Rentals

I would like to help.

AUTHOR: Maria P. - (U.S.A.)

Dear JG in Toronto, ON,
My name is Maria Palmisano and I work for U-Haul International. I first would like to offer my apology for the inconvenience you experienced. I would also like the opportunity to help resolve your concerns. Please provide me with your rental contract number, the exact date of your rental, and the name of the lessee so I can further research your rental.
You can contact me at maria_palmisano@uhaul.com.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,