Complaint Review: U-Haul International

• Updated: Thu, July 24, 2008

• Reported By:River Philip Nova Scotia
U-Haul International
Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

U-Haul Trucks, U-Haul International Old truck unsuitable for cross continent move. Pd over $5,500 & they're now demanding much more. Have co-driver witness. Phoenix Arizona

I reserved a 26' truck well in advance of a clearly stated cross continent move. The truck was the only one there the day of pick up. I had a co-driver.
We left B.C., Canada for Nova scotia on June 10th via the northern U.S.A. because of cheaper gas prices. I pd. in excess of $5,500 in advance.

The truck turned out to be 8 yrs. old. It leaked rain. An elderly, ill dog travelled in the cab with us. We accidentally spilled his water a couple of times & watched it run under the mats and out of the bottom of the truck. So much cold air blew in through the door handle area on the pass. side that I placed a folded tarp between me & the door.

The right side round mirror that shows traffic coming up on the inside lane dangled uselessly & would not stay in place.It sucked gas. There were no door pockets for maps & the dash canted towards the seat, so nothing would stay on it.

A couple of days into the trip the truck would not go more than 30-35 m.p.h. on uphill grades causing a great deal of delay. Also, late at night in Massachusetts, unable to find a room for the night and being overtired, I accidentally bent a rear, outside rim & blew a tire. It was reported immediately & I was told I'd receive added time.

Today, July 24th I rec'd a bill forwarded to me from B.C. from U-Haul demanding an immediate payment of more than $1,300. The truck had been ret'd June 21st(I was supposed to have it back on the 19th, so I was 1&1/2 days late). The depot was closed at noon, so nobody was there when I put the key through the door except the co-driver.

I have called Visa & asked that they not honour bills submitted by U-Haul, has already been done. I'm told that they can't abide by my request without proof of being told that there were problems with the truck & that I was told I'd be given added time.

I have my receipts, the report I.D.# from the night of the tire blow-out & additional supporting info. I also had to file a report with the State police & mail data in to them after I got here.

I'm really interested in hearing if there are any lawyers out there who'd take this on. The invoice for $1,300+ included a very threatening letter & indicated an intent to send it to collection and lawyers to collect. That amount of money represents almost every cent I live on each month. However, even if I did have lots of money, I'd be objecting to this just as strenuously.

That's about it. I'm looking forward to a reply. Thanks!

Katherine
River Philip, Nova Scotia
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/24/2008 08:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul-International/Phoenix-Arizona-85036-1501/U-Haul-Trucks-U-Haul-International-Old-truck-unsuitable-for-cross-continent-move-Pd-over-355406. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul International