Complaint Review: U-Haul Truck/Trailer Rental, Moving and Storage

• Updated: Thu, October 18, 2012

• Reported By: Andi — Sarasota Florida United States of America
U-Haul Truck/Trailer Rental, Moving and Storage
127 W. 4th Street Nationwide United States of America

U-Haul Truck/Trailer Rental, Moving and Storage Unsafe, Unscrupulous, cheats and scammers All , Nationwide

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: CIVIL CLAIM

I consulted UHaul for a cross-country move (myself, my roommate, and my two cats) and was told my best and cheapest option would be to install a hitch on my Jeep and tow a 6x12 trailer (the largest they have). Hitch: $370 Trailer: $650

Three hours into the journey, my car started to overheat. Called AAA for a tow to the nearest mechanic and the tow driver happened to own the auto shop and was an authorized UHaul dealer as well. He explained that my car should have never been outfitted with a hitch and trailer - and offered an alternative solution.

After an hour on the phone with customer service, they agreed to transfer my contract to a box truck and a tow dolly. They disconnected the drive line on my car and hooked it up to the dolly for an additional $100.

I got to my destination to discover that no credit had been given for my original contract - an additional $2000 had been charged for the truck and dolly. [continued below]....
..... (I was never given a receipt or contract for this second set-up.) And the drive shaft for my car (which was never removed nor secured upon disconnecting the drive line) had been lost on the road somewhere. Total replacement and damage to my vehicle as a result has cost an additional $550.

After daily calls to UHaul and constant promises to call me back with a resolution, I got a call a week later from the initial rep who sold me on the hitch and trailer offering a $250 credit. Laughable.

All told, I've spent $2886 with UHaul for two incomplete contracts and incurred $550 in damage and repairs to my car for a total of $3436 for a move that would have cost me less than $1500 had it been done right from the start.
Corporate refuses to call me back and after filing a claim with their insurance company, I was transferred to HR, Payroll and Dennis in "another department" who bounced me around for two hours before disconnecting the call.
Two weeks later, I am no closer to resolution and will have to file arbitration forms before taking them to small claims court. Ridiculous.

Do NOT trust your move with these people. Two young women with two cats stranded on the side of the road is NOT worth the hassle here.
Should have gone with Penske in the first place.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/26/2012 05:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul-TruckTrailer-Rental-Moving-and-Storage/nationwide/U-Haul-TruckTrailer-Rental-Moving-and-Storage-Unsafe-Unscrupulous-cheats-and-scammers-932709. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul Truck/Trailer Rental, Moving and Storage

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

CIVIL CLAIM

AUTHOR: Leamon Troublefield Jr. - (United States of America)

I AM INITIAITING A CIVIL CLAIM AGAINST U-HAUL REFLECTING THIS MATTER.  I HAVE COLLECTED APPROXIAMETLY 7 CONTRACTS WHICH HAVE BEEN FORGERED.  I HAVE ALSO

GIVEN THEIR ATTORNEY 14 WORKING DAYS TO RESPOND TO MY ISSUE.  NOT AT ALL INFORMING HIM I POCCESS THESE CONTRACTS.   I WOULD LIKE YOU TO CONTACT ME.  IF THIS ISSUE IS CONTINUED INTO THE COURTS, I AM WILLING TO FINANCE YOU COMING TO

PENNSYLVANIA AS A WITNESS PURSUANT TO THIS MATTER.

LEAMON